Freaking out!! - pertussis

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 18th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
My oldest started showing some symptoms of being sick a few days ago - runny nose, mild cough, sneezing, very small fever. I didn't worry much and he didn't really complain about anything but how annoying the runny nose was. I just assumed eh, another little bug he'll be over in a few days. Well then today on the news they announced there is an outbreak of whooping cough. At first it didn't dawn on me but just now I was sitting here and the two clicked into my head and I looked up whooping cough (pertussis) and he has ALL the early symptoms. My youngest started having a little cough today too (no fever or runny nose though). At my 16 week appt my midwife told me that my rubella screen came back inconclusive and wanted to know if I had been vax'd. So I got my mom to look, and I had, but that's when my mom told me that I was NOT vax'd for whooping cough because I had a very bad reaction to it and the doctor decided it was safer not to give me anymore. So with that in mind, then the kids symptoms and the recent "outbreak" has me soo panicked! I can't stand the idea of the boys being sick basically for months, me being sick and the baby possibly getting it (he's due in May). YIKES!!

They've both been immunized for it, Jayden hasn't got his last shot though (done at age 4, he's almost 3). So I'm wondering what are the chances they could get this after being immunized for it??

What do you think? I mean, it could just be a cold but I'm soo paranoid now! I'm thinking I should get them into the doctor to be checked just in case.

Facebook

Last edited by Momof4Boyz; March 18th, 2009 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Got confused on what I was vax'd for!
March 19th, 2009, 01:30 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
If taking your son in to the doc isn't a big hassle or financial hardship, maybe it would be worthwhile to set your mind at ease. Kids ARE still vulnerable to pertussis even after they've been given their vaccination for it, they are not fully protected until they have their 3rd or 4th dose.

I just recently came across this page (linked from a banner here on JM) about pertussis, maybe there will be some helpful info there for you. You can hear what the cough sounds like on it too.

I hope your kids and you are okay! KUP!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
March 19th, 2009, 05:41 PM
HunterandLandonsmom's Avatar Super Mommy
I agreee with Crissy, wanted to add though, that from what i understand the cough from whooping cough is so horrible and so different from a cold, you should be able to tell...maybe not at first, but yeah eventually.

March 20th, 2009, 06:43 AM
LisaW's Avatar Blessed Mama
That's scary. I agree with the others to check in with your doctor just in case. We had a confirmed case in Wyoming as well. So far it was just the one child and didn't turn into an outbreak.

Keep us posted!

My Scentsy Website
Email Me!
March 20th, 2009, 11:39 AM
MamaLacey's Avatar Mama of two boys & TTC #3
Send a message via AIM to MamaLacey Send a message via Yahoo to MamaLacey
Do you have an update on your boys? I hope they're doing ok!
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.
Meningitis Awareness FB - http://www.facebook.com/meningitisawareness
Landan's Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLwEgZaS68
Landan's Memorial bracelets are available at his website below.

My Facebook - Landan's Memory-Of - AngelLandan.com
March 21st, 2009, 09:51 AM
I'm watching them but I'm not thinking it's that anymore. They both woke up with ewy eyes, they still have a runny nose, little cough at night, Joe is complaining he's itchy, Jayden has a sore throat. I think they have allergies (dh suffers from them bad and has all the same symptoms)! The weather has been nice and they've been outside a lot so I think all the growing stuff got to them! During the day you wouldn't even know they felt bad, but at night everything kicks in so I'm not sleeping very much! It's supposed to cool down today and rain so by tomorrow we should all have a nice fat headache, not sure why rain does that to us, but it does!
Thanks for all the thoughts though, I was really freaking there for a second - I'm mega paranoid about those types of things!

Facebook
March 21st, 2009, 02:07 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I'm glad to hear it's likely not whooping cough - sorry they are sick in any case!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
March 21st, 2009, 10:18 PM
MamaLacey's Avatar Mama of two boys & TTC #3
Send a message via AIM to MamaLacey Send a message via Yahoo to MamaLacey
I'm glad it's turned out to be nothing really serious! Don't feel bad, we're glad you stopped by regardless!

Rain gives me a headache too!
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.
Meningitis Awareness FB - http://www.facebook.com/meningitisawareness
Landan's Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLwEgZaS68
Landan's Memorial bracelets are available at his website below.

My Facebook - Landan's Memory-Of - AngelLandan.com
March 23rd, 2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks! Ended up taking my little guy to the doctor today, he was just getting worse. Turns out he's got a double ear infection and pink eye. So 10 days of meds and hopefully he'll be healthy again!

Facebook

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search