Another Chicken Pox vaccine question

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Veteran
Hello ladies,

I am not new to JM but i am mostly a lurker to boards lately...anyway, we took Anna for her latest and last dose of Meningitis vaccine 2 days ago and i knew that the next vaccine on her schedule would be chicken pox and i was planning to skip this one and give her a chance of getting chicken pox on her own. When the ped told us we need to take her beginning of May for the vaccine and i ask which one and she tells me i inform her that i don't want her to get this one etc and u guess what? she managed to scare me once again and talk me into giving it to her because apparently 'it is in the must do vaccine's list for the last couple of years and the virus is changing from person to person and she might get it but get it badly and even cause engephalitis (spelling) and all sorts of other bad viruses if she gets it hard'...of course i got scared and said ok i will take her in but truth is i can still change my mind so i am here to ask your personal opinions, do you agree with what she told me and what are you doing for your kids? I always saw chicken pox as a pointless vaccine, same as i see the flu one but i do get talked into things quite easily
Thanks in advance for the info ladies!

xxxKat
March 26th, 2009, 09:40 AM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think you should do your own research and then make an informed decision. Whatever you decide - you will feel better if you have all the information.

Last edited by WishingStar; March 26th, 2009 at 08:21 PM.
March 26th, 2009, 10:35 AM
HunterandLandonsmom's Avatar Super Mommy
We did decide to do the chicken pox vaccine and i'll tell you why. I would have preferred my boys to get chicken pox naturally, but after research found that it is hard for kids to get the chicken pox naturally with so many other kids vaccinated against it, so they likely wouldn't get it in childhood. But then you risk the chance of them getting it in adulthood. Sure not that high, but i know getting it as adult is way worse and can actually cause men to be sterile. Again, rare, but i did weigh this in my mind and this swayed me. I however do not think you are wrong if you do not do it. Just research, research, research and tell her too bad. I did not do the rotovirus vaccine with my kids and my ped was ok with that...never got on me or anything

March 27th, 2009, 10:00 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Well, I don't like the scare tactics your doctor used with you! That said, I get it for my kids. What HunterandLandonsmom said about the chances of childhood exposure being slimmer makes a lot of sense, and it is so much worse to have the older you get (my friends husband was scarred from his adult chicken pox) and boy did he suffer. I would MUCH rather my kids have the vaccine than have the pox, getting a shot vs being sick and uncomfortable for a week.

There were a few cases of chicken pox at my kids' school in 2007. My older son did get it mildly even though he was vaccinated, he got about 6 pox on his torso and was not bothered by it, and at the same time my baby girl had it (she wasn't old enough to have the vaccine) and trust me, it was not "no big deal" as some have said about chicken pox, she was definitely bothered by it, so I feel it is a worthwhile vaccine. My little girl with chicken pox. (Is this no big deal?)

Also, I don't know about where you live, but here it is now mandatory for school. Yes you can get an exemption for vaccines in some states, but if you are already doing some, the religious exemption won't fly, kwim?

Good luck with your decision!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!

Last edited by picklesmama; March 27th, 2009 at 10:04 AM.
March 27th, 2009, 12:30 PM
KimberlyD0
Many moms have brought up good points here. I can see both sides when it comes to Chicken Pox Vaccine.

We choose to do it for a few reasons.

1) DH has never had CP and had 0 immunity for it. So he got an adult CP vaccine for it.
2) My MIL has also never had CP and 0 immunities so she also got one.
3) My 14 year old nephiew has never had CP, and his mom is debating wether she's going to get the vaccine for him.
4) I work so my girls go to daycare so we felt it was better for all parties to get it. I mean some might think of me as selfish, but I can't take 2 weeks off from work to take care of them (4 if they have it at different times) I would loose my job, plus its a hourly wage, not salery, I don't go I don't get paid.
5) When my brother and I got them at age 5 and 4 we both were the unlucky few with rare side effects. We both ended up in the hospital. He for 3 days, and me for 7, I was in the ICU on resperator for 3 of them. So because we both had complications I feel and my doctor feels its more likely for my children to have the same complications.
6) My youngers DD has a rare congenital malformation of the vains and has a comprimised immune system. She is more prone to the nasty side effects of many VPD

I've also been doing a lot of research in the last 4 years. What I suggest would be to do some research, with reputable sorces (avoid the internet unless you are sure its lagit, a LOT is fake) The make a list of the pros and cons for each. It can really make things more clear.

I hope you find what your answer.
March 28th, 2009, 12:22 PM
LisaW's Avatar Blessed Mama
I agree that it is important to do your research and make an informed decision without feeling bullied into it. With that said, my doctor is one of the people that I trust to give me information. It's sad you didn't feel informed by your doctor.

Chicken Pox and even flu are both "minor" illnesses and I see why people would choose not to get vaccinated. On the other hand--why suffer? I remember having chicken pox as a kid and it was awful. If I can prevent my child from going through that or suffering from the flu, then I will. While it's not usually life threatening, it's just miserable. And since we visit great-grandma so much, it could be life threatening for her.

That's just our take on it.

My Scentsy Website
Email Me!
March 28th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Veteran
Thanks so much ladies for all your input.It really helps and is appreciated...would have liked to read a few comments from the other side too, mums that choose not to give thier kids this particular vaccine and their reasons but that is great info from all of you, i can't thank you enough. I agree chicken pox makes you miserable when you have it as i remember having it as a kid too and it was Christmas time when i had it so i lost in a lot of celebrations but the reason i was thinking negative about it is that eventually it wears off so i thought if Anna gets it then she would have imunity for life, that is the most important reason really and the fact that (i thought) is not life threatening like meningitis and a lot of other deseases that we get vaccinated against. My pediatrician is very good scientist with reputation in our town here in Greece but she is one of the old ones that is very very pro-vaccine (like all of them) but also pro-medicine, ie if you need one bottle of antibiotics she would give you two, just to be certain, u get me? so i thought i better ask you ladies too to get a better understanding as to why chicken pox is so important as she states it is...
Again, thanks a lot for the answers and any more input is always welcome

xxxKat
April 10th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm late in replying to this, but I wanted to add that I was VERY MUCH on the fence about this particular vaccine. My concern with it was that since it's fairly new, there aren't really any adults now who had this vaccine as a child, so we don't know if the immunity lasts. IF it doesn't last, then that leaves adults open to getting the virus, which poses a much higher threat to adults than children.

However, I ultimately resolved to get it for my kids for several reasons, most of which have already been mentioned here. With regard to the possibility of the vaccine wearing off, I am confident that we will know the answer by the time my kids reach adulthood and they can get re-vaccinated at that time if necessary. We can always get their titers checked to be sure as well. I was also concerned with the relatively low effectiveness of the vaccine for total immunity, until I learned that although a vaccinated person can still contract CP, the severity of it is much much lower. That was sort of the final tipping point that made me decide to go ahead with the CP vaccine. Also, I trust our pediatrician to listen to my concerns and advise me to the best of his medical knowledge. I would have a problem with him if he used scare tactics to get me to vaccinate like yours did. I'm sorry to hear you're having this issue with yours, I wouldn't take my kids to a doctor I didn't trust!

Best of luck to you in your research endeavor and with whatever you decide is best for your child!
April 13th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm definitely going to vaccinate my little guy. I ended up in the hospital for 3 days with the chicken pox when I was 8. I had them in my throat and lungs & my lungs started to fill up with fluid. It was really scary & I don't want to put my son (or DH & I) through that.
That said, if you're uncomfortable w/ your Drs tactics, I'd say something to them about it & do some of my own research.
Lots of luck.
April 14th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Jodi Dawn's Avatar Host of the Jan-July 05 P
Send a message via Yahoo to Jodi Dawn
hope you got some answers here. I remember back in the day my brother got them and my mom made us all stay close to each other to try and get them from him. I have chosen to get my kids this vaccine

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search