Newsweek, Oprah, Vaccines - read and pass it on!

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 3rd, 2009, 12:54 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
An email I got today:

If you haven’t seen it yet, Newsweek’s cover story this week features Oprah Winfrey. In, “Crazy Talk: Oprah, Wacky Cures & You,” Newsweek is concerned that “Oprah, who holds up her guests as prophets, can't seem to tell the difference [between useful information and ‘nonsense’]…Instead, all too often Oprah winds up putting herself and her trusting audience in the hands of celebrity authors and pop-science artists pitching wonder cures and miracle treatments that are questionable or flat-out wrong, and sometimes dangerous.” Misinformation on her show is particularly concerning, as Oprah reaches over 40 million viewers a week and is about to make a deal to launch her own cable television channel that will reach 70 million homes.

As you are aware, Jenny McCarthy, a regular guest on Oprah, has shared her viewpoints about the dangers of vaccines on the show, pointing to them as the culprit for her son’s autism. These claims have been disproven, but Oprah lets McCarthy go unchallenged time and time again. As a result, Oprah is alarming parents and ultimately putting millions of children at risk of vaccine-preventable diseases.

Please take a moment to read the article and pass it along to your family and friends. Viewers need to be informed about Oprah’s risky and often time misguided health advice.

Thank you Newsweek! I don't know how many people have quoted me what they saw on Oprah, and other talk shows - and blogs too for that matter - as fact!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
June 4th, 2009, 11:57 PM
MamaLacey's Avatar Mama of two boys & TTC #3
Send a message via AIM to MamaLacey Send a message via Yahoo to MamaLacey
GLAD to read this! It's so frustrating.

I would love to get a celeb on board for Meningitis Awareness though, but that's different than misleading people with biased information lol
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.
Meningitis Awareness FB - http://www.facebook.com/meningitisawareness
Landan's Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLwEgZaS68
Landan's Memorial bracelets are available at his website below.

My Facebook - Landan's Memory-Of - AngelLandan.com
June 5th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oprah... /rolls eyes

ANOTHER celeb people put their trust in just because she's famous. SHE DIDN'T GO TO MED SCHOOL FOLKS!
June 5th, 2009, 11:59 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I do like a lot of her book choices though. I don't watch the show, in fact I have to admit I have never seen an entire episode, I've only watched portions of the ones where she's discussed autism because my Tivo gets anything with autism or autistic in the description.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
June 9th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In that case, did your tivo pick up the episode of The Doctors that had Jenneigh McHorseface and that doctor she drags around everywhere she goes? The cute doc that sits on the right (can't think of his name) WENT OFF on that guy, it was hilarious! 'Bout time someone put his raggy butt in its place, I can't stand that guy. My husband heard me laughing from the kitchen and had to come see what was so funny, and even though this stuff doesn't matter much to him, he was like "Daaaaaaaaaaaamn!" and had a good laugh. I wonder if that clip is on youtube.....
June 16th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Jodi Dawn's Avatar Host of the Jan-July 05 P
Send a message via Yahoo to Jodi Dawn
I think she needs to have someone from the opposite side on there sometime not someone who is just telling 1 side of the story

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search