You'd think pediatric nurses would know by now

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2009, 11:57 AM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Daniel had his (overdue) twelve month checkup today and for some reason they are SO uncoodinated at our ped's office... The visit took over an hour and a half, blah! By the end, Daniel was getting very fussy as it was his usual nap time and some nurse I don't know came in to do a finger stick to check iron levels and such. Daniel SCREAMED after she left, I'm sure people thought I was abusing him from the sound, and after like 20 minutes of that when I'd JUST got him quiet, the nurse we know came in to do his shots. So of course that set him off again. WHY couldn't one nurse do the finger stick and the shots at the same time, or at least back to back so the baby only has to have one fit? I swear sometimes they just don't think about what the babies (and parents) are going through. Ok, just had to get that little rant out.

Everything looks great, he's around the 70-75th percentile for everything, walking and otherwise hitting milestones right on cue, and healthy as a horse. Wow I just now realized that he's only had ONE cold in his life, and didn't get sick after all the airplanes to and from California a couple weeks ago (I brought a pack of Clorox wipes and sterilized every hard surface within reach. People looked at me like I was some anal-retentive germophobe, but who cares, MY kids didn't get sick like Connor used to after a flight!)

We go back in three months for either his final DTaP booster or the MMR, I asked that we not give those together since they were both fever makers for Connor and I'd like to keep Daniel's perfect record of no reactions to any vaccines. (Which may or may not have anything to do with spacing his shots out a bit, but so far so good!)

I hope he didn't catch anything in the waiting room or exam room... There was a lady in front of me checking in who was holding a baby with a pretty nasty looking rash (kind of measley-looking but hopefully it was just an allergic reaction or something). Just in case, I didn't sign my name on the sheet or touch the pen or any other surface she had touched. Call me paranoid, but with nasty bugs making a comeback, I don't want to take any chances!
June 22nd, 2009, 10:49 PM
MamaLacey's Avatar Mama of two boys & TTC #3
Send a message via AIM to MamaLacey Send a message via Yahoo to MamaLacey
Grrr that would be so annoying! It doesn't make sense that they wouldn't do the finger prick & shots at the same time! But I'm glad to hear that everything went well & that he's doing great! (Besides the long wait & slow nurses lol)

I wish they'd be 100% careful when it comes to sick & well waiting. At our office they have two seperate areas but you use the SAME counter & window ... AND the bathroom is on the well waiting side. They obviously need one on both IMO!
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.
Meningitis Awareness FB - http://www.facebook.com/meningitisawareness
Landan's Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLwEgZaS68
Landan's Memorial bracelets are available at his website below.

My Facebook - Landan's Memory-Of - AngelLandan.com
June 23rd, 2009, 12:38 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, ours is like that too, you have to walk through all the sick people and use the same window even though they have a seperate room for well and newborn checkups. It doesn't make any sense to me. That's part of why he was over a month late for his 12 month... Been avoiding the pediatricians waiting room in hopes the whole swine flu thing would blow over.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search