New on this board, What made you decide to vaccinate?

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Erinmarie83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did alot of research about vaccines before my first son was born. Mostly because of all the hysteria over autism. When I was growing up, there was no question of whether or not to vaccinate, you just did.

To be honest, I wasnt impressed with alot of the studies that said that mercury in vaccines were directly related to autism and (not to offend anyone) most of the advocates for choosing not to vaccinate seemed a little well...off...if you know what I mean.

My biggest concern was ok, if this mercury stuff if gonna cause autism, is there any way to ensure it wont be in my child's vaccine? Turns out this is not an outlandish request. A friend of mine referred me to a ped who was open to parents who chose not to vaccinate so I met with him and discussed my concerns and he told me they do not use and have not used for some time, the vaccines which have the preservative which has the mercury which some believe is a cause for autism. All of their vaccines were single use so no need for a preservative.

WOW, that made it easy. He even recommended spreading out the vaccines over time in case my son has a bad reaction to the vaccines, which some children do.

This was such a relief. There are so many terrible diseases that kill children that have been eradicated because of vaccines and having to make the choice between the "maybe" of something like autism or the "maybe" of a deadly illness was very difficult. I was just glad to not have to make that decision.

Anyways, sorry to be so long but I was happy to see this board on here. Sometimes I feel like those of us who choose to vax are a bit outnumbered.

Thanks to HeatherW for my gorgeous siggy

Check out my handmade bows on Etsy!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Erinmarie83

June 26th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome to the board!

I chose to vaccinate for similar reasons. I am more worried about the diseases that we KNOW are harmful and potentially deadly than the vaccine ingredients which hmm, MAY trigger autism but we don't really know and there's no evidence other than anecdotal which isn't really evidence at all and the ingredient everyone was worried about isn't in them anymore and........ yeah. The mountain of evidence to the contrary was just too high for me to ignore. And yeah, I know what you mean about anti-vax advocates often being "off". A lot of them seem almost cultish to me. It doesn't do much for advancing their agenda, KWIM?

I don't think people who vaccinate are outnumbered... yet. (We'll know we are when we start seeing major epidemics of preventable diseases again!) I think the majority of vaxers have made their decision for their children and don't feel the need beyond that to get up on a soapbox every chance they get.
July 1st, 2009, 01:26 PM
MamaLacey's Avatar Mama of two boys & TTC #3
Send a message via AIM to MamaLacey Send a message via Yahoo to MamaLacey
Welcome to the board!

I didn't even know about the uprising against vaccinations until I got pregnant with my second son. Before that I'd heard nothing about it, you just got them.

They are more important to me now than they have ever been because my first born son passed away when he was 3yrs old from Meningococcal Meningitis. That is just one of the many forms & had their been a vaccination for a child his age, he might still be here. He had all the other vaccinations he needed.

Again, welcome to the board! I look forward to getting to know you!!
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.
Meningitis Awareness FB - http://www.facebook.com/meningitisawareness
Landan's Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLwEgZaS68
Landan's Memorial bracelets are available at his website below.

My Facebook - Landan's Memory-Of - AngelLandan.com
July 1st, 2009, 07:49 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Hello! For me there never was much of a question. Granted, I have done my research anyway, but I have always agreed that vaccinating was the best. Like you ladies, I am more worried about the diseases that we KNOW kill and that are making a comeback, though they had been just about eradicated at one point.

Personally, I was never concerned about autism. I have several friends with kids who have autism. I am a respite worker for two autistic children. I have SEEN autism, and honestly, I would much rather live with autism (as devastating as it can be) than have my child DIE of something I could have prevented.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
July 2nd, 2009, 02:27 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Hi and welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLacey View Post
I didn't even know about the uprising against vaccinations until I got pregnant with my second son. Before that I'd heard nothing about it, you just got them.
Same! To be honest I vaccinated my 1st and 2nd child just because it was one of the things you did for your child's health, the doctors said so, the other parents did it, the parenting magazines recommended it, and I didn't see any reason not to. I had Whooping Cough as a child, my mom's best friend was crippled by Polio, I remembered being miserable with Chicken Pox, and if I could prevent my children from being subjected to these and other illnesses, I would, and did, and gave it no further thought.

Then my 3rd began to show signs of autism and I began to have questions and concerns - I had heard about an autism-vaccine link but scoffed and disregarded it - now though, I needed to do my research, for my own peace of mind. I stopped vaccinating my 3rd (who did end up being dx with autism) and delayed vaccinating my 4th while I read and asked questions and thought about it - ultimately my research assuaged my fears and led me to resume vaccinating my children, yes even the one with autism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie View Post
I have SEEN autism, and honestly, I would much rather live with autism (as devastating as it can be) than have my child DIE of something I could have prevented.
Yes, as much as a trial my son's autism is, he is here, he is healthy, and he is happy.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
July 28th, 2009, 11:09 AM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie View Post
Personally, I was never concerned about autism. I have several friends with kids who have autism. I am a respite worker for two autistic children. I have SEEN autism, and honestly, I would much rather live with autism (as devastating as it can be) than have my child DIE of something I could have prevented.
I know my sister (who's 9yo is Autistic) would totally agree with this.

I decided to vax because my dh and I both worked at Disney at the time of our older son's birth. WE were exposed to people from ALL OVER the world, from places that do not routinely vaccinate. We didn't want to bring something home to him. We are also old enough to be on the cusp of the elimination of the small pox vax. I got it, my dh was born 4 months after me and didn't.

Considering that childhood diseases can lead to death or male sterilization (big reason for us since we have two boys), we felt it safer to vax than not.

And childhood diseases when contracted as an adult can be much worse.

So, basically, we looked at the long run.

August 10th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Spotis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Because I think of all the mama's throughout time who have suffered the loss of a child due to a vaccine-preventable disease. I think of how those mother's dreamed of such a time when medicine would find a way to stop their babies from dying.

Nolan John turns 2 on 8/28/09
Thank you Jessica for the siggy!
August 12th, 2009, 02:30 AM
MamaLacey's Avatar Mama of two boys & TTC #3
Send a message via AIM to MamaLacey Send a message via Yahoo to MamaLacey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotis View Post
Because I think of all the mama's throughout time who have suffered the loss of a child due to a vaccine-preventable disease. I think of how those mother's dreamed of such a time when medicine would find a way to stop their babies from dying.
I didn't even think of it from this perspective. But I'm sure your right. Back before their were no vaccines for these disease & all the children that were dying from them. Honestly, it scares me to think that this could possibly happen again because of the new "not vaccinating" trend.
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.
Meningitis Awareness FB - http://www.facebook.com/meningitisawareness
Landan's Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLwEgZaS68
Landan's Memorial bracelets are available at his website below.

My Facebook - Landan's Memory-Of - AngelLandan.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search