Has swine flu hit close to you?

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A letter was sent home in Connor's backpack today notifying parents that a case of swine flu has been identified at his preschool. I figured it would happen eventually, but THIS soon? Yikes! It said the classroom has been disinfected and they are focusing on proper handwashing with the kids, but it didn't say which class it was. Regardless, ALL the children are handled by the same few attendants in the mornings (they use a carpool drop off system where the kids are removed from the cars and walked to class by teachers) so essentially the whole school has possibly been exposed.

My whole house is already sick with a cold that Connor brought home from school (well except me but I know I'm going to get it) I don't want to be worrying about swine flu too! A 15 year old literally dropped dead in a clinic waiting room here yesterday and they think H1N1 was to blame. I'm really hoping we manage to avoid this!

So has swine flu hit close to anyone else?
August 31st, 2009, 11:20 PM
MamaLacey's Avatar Mama of two boys & TTC #3
Send a message via AIM to MamaLacey Send a message via Yahoo to MamaLacey
Beginning of this year when it was first talked about, we had a case in the area. Other than that I haven't heard anything about it here recently. I'm not going anywhere this winter. The only person I really have to worry about is DH, because he works outside the home.
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.
Meningitis Awareness FB - http://www.facebook.com/meningitisawareness
Landan's Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLwEgZaS68
Landan's Memorial bracelets are available at his website below.

My Facebook - Landan's Memory-Of - AngelLandan.com
September 1st, 2009, 12:17 PM
MamaLacey's Avatar Mama of two boys & TTC #3
Send a message via AIM to MamaLacey Send a message via Yahoo to MamaLacey
Hey I saw this posted somewhere & figured it might bring you some peace. I assume this is the 15yr old in your area The Vicksburg Post > Archives > News > Test shows swine flu did not kill local teen
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.
Meningitis Awareness FB - http://www.facebook.com/meningitisawareness
Landan's Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLwEgZaS68
Landan's Memorial bracelets are available at his website below.

My Facebook - Landan's Memory-Of - AngelLandan.com
September 2nd, 2009, 02:38 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
We had a bad flu in our family this year, it had us all feeling at death's door. The nurse suspected swine flu for us but I didn't follow up with any testing - honestly the treatment for it isn't any different than any other flu, and I didn't see the point in dragging all the sick kids through the clinic, exposing everyone there. The school system sent me a letter though and I had to keep the kids out for a week past their last symptom, they didn't like that once they felt better. It was a killer flu though, for days they were too sick to do anything but lie there and cough and moan.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
September 4th, 2009, 05:09 AM
KimberlyD0
we've now had 2 notices of confirmed cases in my daughters daycare. Its deffinitly disconserting
September 6th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, that was the case, I was just going to post this... pneumonia was the last I heard. Daniel's got something right now that has his temperature spiking up to 101-102 and some icky yellow mucous coming from his nose. I don't know what bug it is, but it's definitely flu-like. Right now we're just keeping him on ibuprofin and watching him verrrrry closely. Connor has had a cough that comes and goes, but is otherwise fine. I think that's residual congestion from the cold he had last week.

So here's something I've been wondering.... If you get swine flu, are you then immune to it forever? I would think so, but I have never heard anything either way about it.
September 6th, 2009, 05:43 AM
KimberlyD0
If its anything like the normal flu I would say no. Its likly it mutates like the normal flu does, meaning you could get multiple strands of it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search