New to Board

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 30th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Cartersmommy08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Ladies,

I'm not new to JM but to this board. I frequently lurk and I have a question for you all! I am a vaxing moma, always have been. Back in April our LO caught Roseola and ended up having a complex febrile seizure. Since then I've been so worried about every little fever that comes by! Carter's ped agreed to allow us to postpone his MMR and Varcilla until 17 months due to the seizure. We just went Saturday and I am still so unnerved. He seems to be doing great no fever at all, just a bit cranky but I don't know whether to attribute that to the immunizations or the fact that he's getting 2 new molars and an eye tooth :| My fears are that in my research it says that most children begin to have reactions within 2 weeks of the vax. We both work full time and our daycare knows the procedure if he were to get a fever but I'm still so nervous.

It's unfortunate that you can't google anything with the word MMR and not get 1,000,000 horror stories about death, autism, etc. I guess I'm asking for a bit of reassurance. I know many moms IRL who have vaxed and things were fine. I just wish there would be some of that information out there showing that not EVERY child will have terrible side effects instead of all the terrible things (that may or may not have a direct connection).

For all of you moms who have vaxed what was your LO's experience with reactions to the MMR/Varcilla?

Thanks in advance!
August 30th, 2009, 06:45 PM
KimberlyD0
Hello and welcome to the boreds.

As a mother with 2 children prone to the same typs of fevers, I understand where you are coming from.

Keep in mind, that while they are scary, they're actually pretty harmless. They are not like normal seizure in there effect to the brain.

Keek an eye on him, make sure there is a supply of both motrin and tylonal and if his fever gets high give both at the same time and it'll bring it down. Do your best to keep the fever undercontrol and your child comfortable as he can be.

If it helps, my children have never had a reaction to any vaccine, not even a fever.

Since he is teething I would highly suspect that is why he is so fussy. Camilia works well for teething pain

keep us posted ok
August 30th, 2009, 11:15 PM
MamaLacey's Avatar Mama of two boys & TTC #3
Send a message via AIM to MamaLacey Send a message via Yahoo to MamaLacey
Welcome to the board! Carter is such a cutie pie!!

I can understand why you'd be worried about your little guy getting a fever. I think that if he were to have a serious reaction, it would be something that would happen immediately, or in the following hours.

My oldest son did not have a reaction to MMR, and my 9mos old hasn't had to have that vaccine yet.

Keep us posted!
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.
Meningitis Awareness FB - http://www.facebook.com/meningitisawareness
Landan's Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLwEgZaS68
Landan's Memorial bracelets are available at his website below.

My Facebook - Landan's Memory-Of - AngelLandan.com
August 31st, 2009, 02:39 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartersmommy08 View Post
It's unfortunate that you can't google anything with the word MMR and not get 1,000,000 horror stories about death, autism, etc.
Too true!
Quote:
For all of you moms who have vaxed what was your LO's experience with reactions to the MMR/Varcilla
All of my children have done just fine, including my son with autism, just some mild fussiness from my middle daughter.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
August 31st, 2009, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the responses! I really appreciate it! We're going on day 4 now with no signs of reaction. I would be eased if I didn't read that reactions can happen up to two weeks later! That darn febrile seizure still plagues me though! Poor guy can't get any sleep without me jabbing around for his armpit in the dark and then the beeping LOL!

I know the seizure's are harmless but at the time it was just a nightmare. We definately make sure we always have both motrin and tylenol in the house and do the rotation every 4 hours.

Thanks again, I'll keep you all posted.

BTW, did you notice your LO's getting a tiny rash after the vax? Carter seems to have small little bumps on his neck/face. Again though it could be to the teething and all the drool thats coming down
August 31st, 2009, 11:25 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I bet the rash is from the drooling
Have you thought about getting a temporal thermometer like they use in hospitals? They are a lot more affordable now and you could check his temp while he slept even, Something like this : Walmart.com: Exergen Temporal Thermometer: Medicine Cabinet

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
August 31st, 2009, 11:58 PM
MamaLacey's Avatar Mama of two boys & TTC #3
Send a message via AIM to MamaLacey Send a message via Yahoo to MamaLacey
Aww lol Like I said, don't feel bad for being so worried. It's 100% normal after having to deal with something scary lie a seizure! And I probably wouldn't be able to breathe a sigh of relief until 2 weeks were up as well.

I agree, the rash is probably from all the drool!
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.
Meningitis Awareness FB - http://www.facebook.com/meningitisawareness
Landan's Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLwEgZaS68
Landan's Memorial bracelets are available at his website below.

My Facebook - Landan's Memory-Of - AngelLandan.com
September 6th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can't remember if Connor had a fever from the MMR, but if he did it was very low. Other than being a bit cranky for a day and a temp of about 99.5-100, he never reacted to anything. Daniel hasn't had his MMR or varicella, but I'm not anticipating anything. I've been splitting his vaccines up so he doesn't get quite so much at once and he has never had any kind of reaction to anything. Our ped normally does the MMR and varicella together at 15 months, but I'm splitting those into two separate visits as well. I'm not worried.

Hmm, that reminds me, he's 15 months now isn't he. I need to get him in there for a jab!
September 6th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks again ladies

I find it humorous the shot I was most worried about caused the least reaction! He didn't even get a fever LOL. I guess that's how it goes though right? He's a bit cranky still but like I said he's getting a lot of teeth right now. Other than that he's still my same ol' little guy! Thanks for the reassurance for a worried mommy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search