Dateline, anyone watch?

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 30th, 2009, 11:31 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Who watched Dateline's "Dose of Controversy" tonight? Sunday, Aug. 30: 'A Dose of Controversy' - Inside Dateline - msnbc.com What did you think?

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
August 31st, 2009, 12:14 AM
MamaLacey's Avatar Mama of two boys & TTC #3
Send a message via AIM to MamaLacey Send a message via Yahoo to MamaLacey
I didn't know it was on, so I didn't watch it.

Can you give us a synopsis?
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.
Meningitis Awareness FB - http://www.facebook.com/meningitisawareness
Landan's Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLwEgZaS68
Landan's Memorial bracelets are available at his website below.

My Facebook - Landan's Memory-Of - AngelLandan.com
August 31st, 2009, 10:28 AM
genkigemini's Avatar Member
I missed it but how was the show presented? Did it lean to one side of the debate or the other?

August 31st, 2009, 01:24 PM
I watched the first half but then Kate spiked a fever and I had to go take care of her and settle her back to bed so recorded the rest - Tivo only backtracks 30 min though so I missed the first 10 minutes on the recording - no biggie since I watched that part, it was just the intro. The 40 minutes or so that I saw presented the information in an unbiased manner - it was back and forth between Wakefield and Deer - but it was not looking good for Wakefield. I'm hoping to see the rest tonight and I'll let you know what I think!

August 31st, 2009, 10:59 PM
Yes stop back & let us know what you thought!
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.

September 1st, 2009, 10:37 AM
I watched the rest last night.

They had a blurb on Jenny McCarthy but thankfully didn't give her an interview or anything, rather presented her as just what she is - a celebrity with no medical background.

Dr Paul Offitt was on as well. I thought he was great. He defended himself well against the accusation that he he had a conflict of interest (some say he has a pro-vaccine "agenda" since he has invented a vaccine that made him millions); he said that he has called into question other vaccines and gave the example that he voted against the smallpox vaccine. I especially liked that he made these statements:
Quote:
My interest is in trying to present the science of vaccine safety so that parents understand it, so they won't make bad decisions that put their children at risk.
Quote:
Every vaccine that's recommended prevents a disease that could cause possibly suffering, hospitalization and death. And if you can prevent suffering and death safely - prevent it!
When asked to give some common sense advice for parents out there, Dr. Offitt said this:
Quote:
The main job of parents is to put their child in the safest position possible, and vaccines provide that safety.
There was a disturbing segment where parents of an autistic child brought him Dr. Wakefield's clinic where he was subjected to an invasive procedure that really told them nothing, and really had nothing to do with vaccine safety anyways, but did make Wakefield and his colleague Dr. Krigman look like quacks IMO.

The show closed with Matt Lauer making this statement:
Quote:
So if you're a new parent, and you're wondering what you should do about vaccines, here's what the American Academy of Pediatrics has to say: (voiced over an image of a written statement by the AAP) Delaying vaccines leaves babies unprotected when they are most vulnerable to vaccine-preventable diseases...
While it is likely that there are many environmental factors that influence the development of autism, vaccines are not the cause of autism.
^^ Thank you!

Last edited by picklesmama; September 1st, 2009 at 10:42 AM.
September 1st, 2009, 10:51 AM
genkigemini's Avatar Member
Cool! Thanks so much for sharing that!

September 2nd, 2009, 01:17 AM
Awesome, thanks for sharing that with us. Sounds like it was a good program & now I'm sorry that I missed it.

Quote:
Every vaccine that's recommended prevents a disease that could cause possibly suffering, hospitalization and death. And if you can prevent suffering and death safely - prevent it!
^^I totally agree ^^

September 4th, 2009, 05:12 AM
KimberlyD0
I bet there are some spitting mad people too. Claiming it was all just a set up.

I wish I had seen it though
September 6th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I saw it, but I also missed the first ten or so minutes. My thoughts were pretty much the same as Crissy's. There were a couple moments when I yelled at the TV, like when Dr Wakefield was on and something about Jenny McCarthy, and my DH was laughing at me for getting fired up about this issue and then said he thought it was "cute" that I have such strong convictions about this.

I wonder if they'll ever create a "stupid man shut the hell up" vaccine......

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search