Hi ladies! I'm new here

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 6th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
and I'm wondering what your take is on the Swine flu and the Swine Flu vax. I'm scared of both at this point. My kids pedi is recommending the Swine flu vax for the kids and me since I'm pregnant.

I've done the research thinking that would help me to make an informed decision and all it did instead was scare me more.

I now have a whole list of questions to ask my OB at my next appointment next week and I'll be asking our pedi the same questions. I stay home with dd so I'm not too concerned about us but ds goes to public school and dh works in a large paper mill. I'm very concerned about them getting it and bringing it home to my dd.

September 6th, 2009, 05:00 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
My husband is military and is around people who have been traveling and on airplanes on a daily basis, so he will definitely be getting it, as the Navy gives it to all service members. Even if it weren't mandatory he would. As for the rest of us, I have no plans to get it now, but when the Navy makes it available on base in October I might think about it. We already had a very bad flu this year, that the health nurse suspected was swine flu, and that was only about 2 months ago, so I wasn't going to bother, but I just read today that you can catch it again if you get a different strain, and since as I said we are military and are exposed to people from all over, I am rethinking that.

What is it that scares you?

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
September 7th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What scares me about it is the Swine Flu Vax in the 70's caused a lot of people to die of Guillain Barre Syndrome. They never figured out what was in the vaccine that caused it so there's no guarantee that the new vax won't cause it.

If you research it you will find that even the plain influenza vaccine has been linked to Guillain Barre. You can die from that.

While I realize you can also die from the flu it's a scary choice to make. I just don't know what to do.

September 7th, 2009, 10:17 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda C View Post
What scares me about it is the Swine Flu Vax in the 70's caused a lot of people to die of Guillain Barre Syndrome. They never figured out what was in the vaccine that caused it so there's no guarantee that the new vax won't cause it.

If you research it you will find that even the plain influenza vaccine has been linked to Guillain Barre. You can die from that.

While I realize you can also die from the flu it's a scary choice to make. I just don't know what to do.
Well, it is true that Guillain-Barré has been linked to the influenza vaccine. In 1976 of course in those high numbers BUT since then it is only estimated to have cause GBS in 1 or 2 cases per million vaccinated persons per year.
Influenza on the other hand, is estimated to cause 4-7 cases of GBS for every 100,000 cases of influenza. That's 40-70 cases of GBS in a million!
1-2 in a million chance vs 40-70 in a million chance? The vaccine is still looking a whole lot safer than the flu to me.

I understand your fear though. Even though I am all for vaccinating, I still get nervous when my kids get their shots. So just like whenever I give them a new medication, I find out what to watch for, and I watch them closely.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!

Last edited by picklesmama; September 7th, 2009 at 10:27 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search