18 month vaccine

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 16th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Ryan and Alex's Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So we are supposed to take our son to get his 18 month shots tomorrow...he's 19 months now ...almost 20..wow lol. Anyways we missed the last checkup due to being busy. i've been ready about the shots and we can choose to delay till he starts school. I'm wondering if we should hold off and wait till then. I'm on and off about being worried about the autism thing, i personally don't think and have been told my a health nurse that there has never been any proof that shots cause autism, and like a friend who pointed out that her sister had symptoms of autism way before getting the shots...plus all her siblings got the shots and were fine.(using her as an example) I'm just wondering what your thoughts on this is....as in did you get the shots for your child or did you choose to delay?

September 17th, 2009, 11:10 AM
KimberlyD0
Both of my children are in daycare and have been since very young. Autism wasn't even a factor in my choice to vaccinate. There is no link. We decided to do them on schedual, although DD#1 was a few months behind because she got sick when she was due for the vaccines so we held off till she was better.

DD#2 has some medical complications that have made it very clear to us that deleying is not a good idea for her.

Whatever you choose to do you need to be comfortable with that choice. If you want to wait till school then you can, however that means more shots right before school so they can catch up and more in their systems at one time.

Not sure if that helps at all.
September 17th, 2009, 06:20 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I'm a mom of a child with autism and I do vaccinate, even those children I had after my son's diagnosis. The MMR/autism link has been debunked. To sum it up, the findings of that minute (12 children!) study were erroneous, and all further studies of thousands of children have failed to find a link.

If it is autism that is your concern, then I would get the shots. My one son who does have autism, in retrospect, had symptoms long before he got his shots. I did delay continuing with shots for him and his next younger sister while I did my own extensive research, and have since resumed vaccinating my kids on schedule since what I learned set me at ease about it.

There are valid reasons one might want to forgo shots (such as allergies to vaccine ingredients for example) but fear of autism is not one in my opinion, nor is it the opinion of the American Academy of Pediatrics. The AAP recently made this statement (in an episode of dateline that looked into the vaccine/autism myth) : "Delaying vaccines leaves babies unprotected when they are most vulnerable to vaccine-preventable diseases.
While it is likely that there are many environmental factors that influence the development of autism, vaccines are not the cause of autism."

Hope this has helped set your mind at ease!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search