Converts from non-vax

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 23rd, 2009, 09:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Is there anyone here who used to be on the non-vax side and now supports vaccination? If so, what led you to the change? I feel very strongly about this issue and I feel that when debating it, "the facts" are not convincing to most non-vaxxers. I'd like to arm myself with as much science AND personal stories as possible.

(FYI: I generally don't debate on this board. I do so with other people I talk to in person and on some other boards.)
October 23rd, 2009, 01:48 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Me! I was non-vax for the first year of Sydney's life! I have to run but I'll be back and share the whole story later!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
October 24th, 2009, 04:02 AM
MamaLacey's Avatar Mama of two boys & TTC #3
Send a message via AIM to MamaLacey Send a message via Yahoo to MamaLacey
I can't help out because I've always vaccinated. But am interested in hearing Crissy's story
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.
Meningitis Awareness FB - http://www.facebook.com/meningitisawareness
Landan's Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLwEgZaS68
Landan's Memorial bracelets are available at his website below.

My Facebook - Landan's Memory-Of - AngelLandan.com
October 26th, 2009, 11:56 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Hey, sorry it it's taken me so long to get back to this - busy weekend, Sydney's birthday, and then some of the kids are down with the flu (not the baby who go her flu shot though ).

Anyways, when I had kids, I never even considered NOT vaccinating. Having had whooping cough as a child and a family member with polio I had always thought vaccines were a good thing UNTIL my (then 2½ year old) son Angus was diagnosed with autism. All of a sudden I found myself on the fence about vaccines, because of all the controversy surrounding them and autism, and people asking me if he got it from his vaccines. I began questioning everything. I had read plenty that discredited the autism/vaccine link theory, but really hadn't given it much thought, and now that I had a kid with autism, and was due any day to have another baby, I decided I needed to learn more before I could continue with Gus's immunizations or give any to the new baby. I read everything I could, studies and articles, talked to doctors, visited this board an the non-vax board, and delayed giving the kids any vaccines in the meantime - Sydney didn't get any from birth to age 1 (and had chicken pox, rotavirus and flu ). By the time Sydney was a year old though, I felt comfortable with resuming their vaccinations. I just had more faith in what I read FOR vaccines, in the science behind them, the studies dispelling the MMR/autism link, and just didn't find all the anti-vax info as credible. So, I got off the fence on the pro-vax side and have never looked back .

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
October 26th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Jean Grey's Avatar Veteran
Thanks for sharing your story. With the non-vaccinating parents I've talked with, I always get stuck on the paranoia. When I try to discredit it, I end up hearing "well that's what they want you to think!" I feel like there's no way to convince them so I just don't bother. I'm glad that you were able to do your research (which I'm sure consisted of more than "google university" ) and make an informed decision.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search