chicken pox vaccine question

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 27th, 2009, 08:43 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Hello I am Jessi, mommy to Linda almost 5 and Jeremy 3. Both of my children got the chicken pox vaccine at the age of 1. And both of them got the chicken pox. Yes I know this is extremely rare. To the point the dr office was surprised. I know my daughter is due to get her booster this year. I have done all the vaccines with the exception of hep B and not yet the flu shot this year. I guess my question is has anyone else gotten the chicken pox vaccine and gotten the chicken pox from it? If your kid(s) did get the chicken pox from the vaccine did you do the booster? I just don't want my 5 yo to get the chicken pox again ykwim. Thanks for any information.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

October 28th, 2009, 02:37 AM
MamaLacey's Avatar Mama of two boys & TTC #3
Send a message via AIM to MamaLacey Send a message via Yahoo to MamaLacey
I can't answer your question because my child isn't old enough to receive it yet. But hope someone has an answer for you!
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.
Meningitis Awareness FB - http://www.facebook.com/meningitisawareness
Landan's Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLwEgZaS68
Landan's Memorial bracelets are available at his website below.

My Facebook - Landan's Memory-Of - AngelLandan.com
October 28th, 2009, 09:23 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
I'd talk to the doctor. I was under the impression that you cannot get the chicken pox twice. (The antibodies stay with you.) I got the chicken pox when I was little and have been exposed several times since and have never gotten it again. If that's the case, I wouldn't think that the booster would be necessary.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
October 28th, 2009, 12:10 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Hi Jessi. How bad were their chickenpox? I read this:
Quote:
Because this vaccine is made from a live, but weakened, virus, about 1% of recipients develop a mild form of the disease, consisting of a limited rash, most often with only 5-6 blisters. Usually there is no fever. These persons are then safe from the more serious, naturally occurring form of the virus.
Source: Chickenpox (Varicella) Vaccine Questions and Answers

Going by that, I would say that having had both the vaccine AND a mild case, they ought to be completely immune now, perhaps not even needing a booster. I would talk to the doctor about your concern and ask for a titer test for them, the results of which could be entered into their shot record in lieu of a booster.
My daughter had chicken pox as an infant, (full-blown, she was covered, even on her eyelids) and a titer test is what we have to have for her to be in compliance with state health regulations for attending preschool. Her appointment for her the test is Friday, I can ask our ped and the immunology nurse about your concerns (hypothetically of course, not sure if they'd answer though) and let you know how the titer test went

Augie, you can get it twice, but the 2nd breakout would be mild:
Quote:
In rare cases, people who have had the vaccine still get chickenpox. And a few people who have already had chickenpox get it again. If this happens, a milder form of the illness usually occurs, with fewer blisters and symptoms. This is called a breakthrough infection.
Source:
Chickenpox (Varicella): Cause, Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment

My son had the vaccine at age 1 and got a mild case of the chicken pox in kindergarten - he had maybe half a dozen pox.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
October 28th, 2009, 05:43 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Oh both my kids were covered with pox on the torso for 5 or so days. More mild then full blown with the blister like pox as these were more little red bumps but more than the "projected". I am going to ask about the titer test and see if we can do that in leu of the vaccine again. I am not against them like I said but I just don't want them to go through it again. I would think they would be plenty covered. Thank you for the information and help you ladies are great. Its why I love JM .

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search