H1N1 vax have you seen it in your area?

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 29th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
After a lot of thought and research we decided to get the H1N1 for my kids and myself since I'm pregnant. Well my kids pediatrician got the mist but can't get the shots so the kids got their first dose of mist last week.

I on the other hand am stuck. The CDC gave my OB 40 doses to vaccinate 400 women The health clinic in my area isn't even offering the shot or the mist. My family doc doesn't have any either so now what?

Has it been hard to find in your area?

October 29th, 2009, 01:33 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
We don't even have it yet, anywhere!
We are pretty sure we had the actual flu in June, it was suspected and we had all the symptoms, but want the vax anyways just in case.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
October 29th, 2009, 04:40 PM
KimberlyD0
They started the clinics her monday
October 29th, 2009, 04:41 PM
mom2nate
We have it here and Nathan is getting his tomorrow afternoon. I am still a little worried about it but we have decided it is safer for him to be protected from it than risk getting it. I hope they're right when they say it is the same as the flu shot and there are no added risks....my head is spinning from all this.
October 29th, 2009, 08:41 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I am taking my kids to do the shot on Saturday the county is doing a free clinic.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

October 29th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Jean Grey's Avatar Veteran
There's been a bunch of free clinics around here, but they're limiting it to high risk groups. The boys will get theirs at the doctors in a few weeks. I'm hoping to get one from my doctors office. My doctor only has the "regular" flu vaccine right now though, but she's hoping to get some H1N1 soon.

October 29th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our country just started on the 26th, and many clinics ran out of all vax by Tuesday. We managed to have all 5 of us vaxed by Tuesday morning, but we live in a small city, so our wait wasn't too long. Right now only public health are providing shots, in ten days they're planning on have pharmacists and family doctors getting vaccine to shorten the wait times.
October 30th, 2009, 02:02 AM
MamaLacey's Avatar Mama of two boys & TTC #3
Send a message via AIM to MamaLacey Send a message via Yahoo to MamaLacey
I have not heard about it being in our area yet! Grrrr. But I was planning on asking Layne's ped if she has any info at his appt next Monday.
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.
Meningitis Awareness FB - http://www.facebook.com/meningitisawareness
Landan's Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLwEgZaS68
Landan's Memorial bracelets are available at his website below.

My Facebook - Landan's Memory-Of - AngelLandan.com
October 30th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesmama View Post
We don't even have it yet, anywhere!
We are pretty sure we had the actual flu in June, it was suspected and we had all the symptoms, but want the vax anyways just in case.
I was diagnosed with H1N1 today. My MD suggested I get my 6 year old son into his pediatrician immediately. We drove over there and they administered the mist version of the vaccine. So, as of today I know that you can get it on South Whidbey. As far as whether or not it is going to help my son, they said there is a good chance he was already exposed and in that case the vaccine will not make a difference. I hope not because this is one miserable flu.
November 2nd, 2009, 07:51 AM
Now the health department says they will start offering it on November 16th but I will have to come and wait in the same waiting room with their all sick patients in order to get it I really hope my OB gets more before then.

November 2nd, 2009, 12:00 PM
Jean Grey's Avatar Veteran
The shot is hard to come by here, but they did a bunch of free vaccine clinics around here so a lot of them have already run out. The mist is a little easier to find, but I hear most places have run out of that too. The free clinics are just for people in high risk groups, and none of us fit in that category. I called my boys' doctor's office and they have no H1N1 vaccine, only the seasonal flu. Ditto for my doctor.

November 4th, 2009, 10:55 AM
meddleman's Avatar Loving my girls!!!!
I got mine a couple of weeks ago and so did my daughter - be both got the shot - I'm pg and daughter is 21 months old.

We live in NW Indiana, and none of the doctor's offices have them, we had to go through our health department. I know a lot of states are doing clinics the first couple of weeks of November, keep your eye out in your local paper or online.

Good luck!
November 4th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A notice came home in my son's bag today that there is another case at his school, but this one added that the county health department is doing the vaccine free for children under 5 and their caregivers. I am going to call to confirm this in the morning and take the whole family tomorrow.

I decided to go ahead with the vaccine after hearing it's made the same way as the seasonal flu vaccine, but does anyone know if the child version contains thimerosal? Connor would get it anyway (they switch to the adult version at age 3 here) but since Daniel is only 18 months old, I'm not down with giving him thimerosal. I don't know if they will provide me with the package insert at the health department since they probably want to move people through as quickly as possible.
November 5th, 2009, 10:45 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I just found out they are giving it to kids and adults aged 6 mos to 24 years at the Elks Club in our town, today. And on base they are giving it to 6 mos - 36 mos and pregnant women of any age.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
November 6th, 2009, 12:48 PM
KCAmanda's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just got my son the preservative free seasonal & H1N1 shots today (first rounds) - we're expecting a newborn any day now and I didn't want to take chances. I have an appt at our familly practice to get myself the H1N1 on Monday morning and I got DH and appt with county on Friday morning to get one for himself..then we should have all our bases covered..
November 6th, 2009, 07:47 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Chris and I got the mist today. I normally skip flu vaccines but our niece is in the NICU and I'd hate to pick it up and give it to here. (That and in a week or two we'll be babysitting a friend's two kids while she has #3 and we wouldn't want them to get it from us either.)

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
November 9th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had appts but they called saying they ran out so i need to call next week to reschedule
November 9th, 2009, 09:12 AM
I'm still waiting here. I'm hoping I can get it next week even if I do have to wait at the health dept. Anything is better than nothing at this point.

November 10th, 2009, 09:56 AM
MamaLacey's Avatar Mama of two boys & TTC #3
Send a message via AIM to MamaLacey Send a message via Yahoo to MamaLacey
Last time I checked online we didnt have any immunization clinics here in the near future
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.
Meningitis Awareness FB - http://www.facebook.com/meningitisawareness
Landan's Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLwEgZaS68
Landan's Memorial bracelets are available at his website below.

My Facebook - Landan's Memory-Of - AngelLandan.com
November 19th, 2009, 06:47 AM
OMG! I went for my OB appt and gender U/S on Monday and guess what? My OB was able to give me my h1n1 vax! He finally got enough in to vaccinate all his pregnant ladies.

I'm so happy and relieved! I was wanting to get the shot and have it be effective before entering my third trimester.

He said it will be another month before there is enough to vaccinate dh. B/c we will have a baby in the house they recommend we all get vaxed. The kids and I have ours and dh will be the last to get it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search