Does anyone space out vaccines?

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 30th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Kelly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm a fully vaxing mama, but as of late, I decided to space out my kids vaccines. My son has his 4 year well check next week and I WAS going to space out the MMR into 3 single doses, only to find out they don't make them anymore!

So this is what I am planning on doing now...

I'm getting him one *shot* at a time. So next week, I'll ask for the DTaP vaccine first since I've heard pertussis is going around. Then I'll probably get him MMR 2 weeks after the DTaP, then polio 2 weeks after that. That way, he'll get only 3 at a time instead of 7 all at once.

Any opinions on this, has anyone done it this way?

Also, I have always blindly followed the vax schedule, I don't know exactly when he had certain vaccines. He was vaccinated against chicken pox, (which I regret and am not sure of exactly what age) but it says on the schedule that he'd be due for another? Is this one a booster or a full vaccine? Can I skip this one and pray he gets the chicken pox naturally and then if he doesn't by his teens, get the varicella vaccine then?
Due January 2nd with baby #3!

October 31st, 2009, 12:00 PM
Jean Grey's Avatar Veteran
I'm spacing my son's kindergarten vaccines, so that he doesn't get so many shots all at once. For me, its more about making sure he's not afraid of the doctor than any fears about the vaccines themselves.
You could ask your doctor to draw a titer to see if your son needs the chicken pox booster or not. Personally, I'm getting my DS both shots of it because I didn't have chicken pox until I was 12 and it was bad. I was almost hospitalized for dehydration and my torso still has a ton of scars from it. For most people, as they get older, the complications from chicken pox are more serious for some reason. I know a girl who's siblings were over 10 years older than she, and when she brought home the chicken pox as a first grader, her teenaged siblings ended up in the hospital for fever and dehydration. Even if he gets the chicken pox from the vaccine, it will be a milder case than full blown chicken pox.

October 31st, 2009, 03:12 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been spacing them out with my youngest, I didn't with my older child. I just wanted to have him get a little less at a time and hopefully cut back the chance of fever and such. So far it's been working. (Or it may very well just be cooincidence, but either way I figure it can't hurt) I too was going to separate the MMR for my youngest and was upset to hear that they're no longer making the separate shots. My oldest just turned 4 last month and I haven't got him in for his check up (insurance mix-up, we're waiting for it to be straightened out) but I don't think our ped's office does the MMR booster until age 5. If they want to do it now though, I will space it out into a separate visit. I don't worry too much about certain vaccines being given at the same time but since the DTaP and the MMR are the most common reaction-causers, I will separate those into two visits, a month or two apart, if they tell me he's due for them both.

Right now I'm more worried about swine flu than anything and am leaning toward getting the vaccine now that I know it's manufactured the same as the seasonal flu shot, just with a different virus. (Whether or not it was made totally from scratch was the deciding factor for me) If they have it at my pediatrician's office, I'll probably get both the kids that and hold off on everything else for a month.
November 11th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Regular
I've haven't spaced my kids. I just follow the vaccine schedule and keep track of it so that I know when they got what. We haven't ever had any reactions or fevers or anything as a result of giving them together.
November 11th, 2009, 11:39 PM
MamaLacey's Avatar Mama of two boys & TTC #3
Send a message via AIM to MamaLacey Send a message via Yahoo to MamaLacey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyhayes01 View Post
I've haven't spaced my kids. I just follow the vaccine schedule and keep track of it so that I know when they got what. We haven't ever had any reactions or fevers or anything as a result of giving them together.
Same thing with us.
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.
Meningitis Awareness FB - http://www.facebook.com/meningitisawareness
Landan's Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLwEgZaS68
Landan's Memorial bracelets are available at his website below.

My Facebook - Landan's Memory-Of - AngelLandan.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search