Is your child getting 2 doses of the H1N1 vax?

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 9th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Before the vax came in I asked my pedi about it. My kids are 3 and 9. He said they would need 2 doses but that they would get some protection from just 1 dose. Well they got their first dose almost 3 weeks ago so I called today to schedule the second dose. The receptionist told me they have plenty of it still but that they've decided NOT to give the second dose. She said she wasn't sure why and transferred me to the nurse. I left a voicemail and I'm hoping they call back soon with an explanation.

I was under the impression that the kids have to have 2 doses for maximum protection RIGHT?

November 9th, 2009, 12:02 PM
mom2nate
I was wondering the same thing. I did read something last week that said they were still doing research to see if 2 doses were really going to be needed and would know more in a few weeks...but when Nathan got his at the end of October they said 2 doses. And I also read something about they were afraid of running out and something like they'd rather give more kids one dose than some kids no doses...which makes no sense b/c why give them any if it's not enough to do anything?
November 10th, 2009, 09:52 AM
MamaLacey's Avatar Mama of two boys & TTC #3
Send a message via AIM to MamaLacey Send a message via Yahoo to MamaLacey
Did you ever hear back as to why they're giving just one dose? I was under the impression as well that it was supposed to be 2 doses. We haven't gotten ours yet. I have to pre-registar online & the only reason I haven't done it yet is because I need to hook up our printer to print out a verification page & because I haven't seen anymore immunization clinics on the website, grrr.
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.
Meningitis Awareness FB - http://www.facebook.com/meningitisawareness
Landan's Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLwEgZaS68
Landan's Memorial bracelets are available at his website below.

My Facebook - Landan's Memory-Of - AngelLandan.com
November 19th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Here's the scoop it turns out the receptionist's at my pedi's office DON'T HAVE A CLUE what they are doing.

On Tuesday DD was sick and I had to take her in to see the pedi. While he was in the room I told him I tried to schedule the second dose. I've tried twice. The first time I was told you weren't doing a second dose the second time I was told you were out. So he looks at me and says do WHAT? Who told you that? We have plenty. Then he looked at the chart and said my kids are due today for their second dose. He said it needs to be given 4 weeks apart and that the first dose by itself is only 60% effective. So then he says that b/c dd is sick he wants me to wait on hers until Monday. Okay fine.

I call today to schedule it. This time I'm told they can't schedule it b/c you MUST wait 6 weeks. I told the girl no mam I spoke with the doctor myself on Tuesday and he said they needed it on MONDAY. She finally gave up and said well fine if he said so I'll schedule it.

What I don't understand is every time you turn on the news you see horrid stories of the effects of H1N1 on kids. It freaks parents out so why are the girls at my pedi's office so uninformed about the whole thing? I swear they need a policy in place on what to tell parents and they need to be united on what they say.

I used to work for a doctor and on something important we would have a staff meeting every time something changed and were told exactly what to say to the patients in order to keep them informed correctly and calm. This is just crazy to me!

Okay vent over

November 19th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It's good that you told the pedi about his "receptionist" I wonder how many other people she has been lying too. Maybe she is anti vaccines and thats why she is lying to people
November 19th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I plan to say something to the nurse when I go in on Monday also. They really need to get their story straight.

November 19th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ugh, the receptionsts at our pediatrician's office never seem to know much either, I just figure it's because their job is to answer phones and take appointments, but fortunately they have a nurse line they'll gladly transfer to for all vaccine questions if they don't know the answer.
November 19th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Regular
wow
November 25th, 2009, 09:05 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I was at the dr on Tuesday and asked about the second dose. I was so glad they said we could come in the second week of December to get our second dose. I had not heard that you shouldn't get the second one. My son has asthma so he is in the high risk category. The only one he couldn't get Tuesday was the seasonal since they only had the mist and he can't take that with asthma. She said the H1N1 is the most important. I would be a little miffed at the receptionist. We count on them to give us good information.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

December 1st, 2009, 03:13 PM
So I took the kids in last Monday for their second dose. They got it with no problems but that darn receptionist and I had to have words. The first time around she charged me $40 for both kids even though vaccines are covered 100%. They billed my insurance for a nurse administration fee and the vaccine. My insurance paid the admin fee and said that I didn't owe anything. So even though I have a $40 credit she tried to charge me $40 AGAIN! She said she had to charge me b/c even though my insurance paid for the first dose they won't necessarily pay for the second dose. WTH?

I ended up telling her to just BILL it. Then I called my insurance company and they said the problem is they aren't allowed to bill for it b/c they are getting the mist FREE from my state health dept.

Not sure how true that is but my insurance company covered the admin fee again and said I don't owe anything at all.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search