Another H1N1 question....Me again :-)

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 21st, 2009, 04:59 PM
mom2nate
So this time my question is in regards to long term effects....

What is with the line of thinking (from some people) that they don't want to get the vaccine because of potential long term effects.....OK so the question in my mind is why is this a worry? Because this vaccine is made the EXACT same way as a seasonal flu shot. Why would there be any more of a chance for long term effects with the h1n1 and not the seasonal flu?

If I understand correctly, h1n1 is the exact replica of a seasonal flu shot just the different strain.....so why would there be long term effects from h1n1 and not seasonal?????

My son has already gotten his vaccine but I still have lingering questions as to why people keep saying "long term effects"....and now I read that the nasal mist can cause brain damage? WHAT!? Seriously? Never heard that before. Their reasoning is that it can break the blood-brain barrier and the virus can enter the brain and thus cause encephalitis. Has anyone seriously heard of this ever happening?
November 21st, 2009, 06:30 PM
Jean Grey's Avatar Veteran
No, I haven't heard of that. But if it were true, don't you think that the media would be all over it?! That's one thing that really gets me about the anti-vaccine movement--they're all a bunch of conspiracy theorists. They think that the whole vaccine "conspiracy" has gotten to everyone, including every single media outlet, except for only the chosen few that follow Jenny McCarthy's gospel

November 21st, 2009, 07:49 PM
mom2nate
I totally totally agree. And, I had Nate in to be checked for drainage etc yesterday and the nurse practitioner we seen said basically people who don't work in pediatrics should learn to keep their mouths shut. I talked w/her in depth about what my chiro said (to which she was totally appalled) and she said if they knew it was causing deaths etc. they would not continue to push parents to vaccinate and the vaccine would not be available. No way shape or form would they continue to push it if it were not safe. And she said it would HAVE to be reported and you would hear about it in the news.

I still don't get the hype behind the "long term effects" b/c it's the same as the dang seasonal shot so the "long term effects" should be the same as the seasonal. I just don't get the hype behind all of this. IT IS ABSOLUTELY CRAZY. ALL OF IT!

One of my favorites I've recently read is that this is the governments way of reducing population :-).....umm yeah some people have too much time on their hands....
November 21st, 2009, 08:05 PM
Jean Grey's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2nate View Post
I totally totally agree. And, I had Nate in to be checked for drainage etc yesterday and the nurse practitioner we seen said basically people who don't work in pediatrics should learn to keep their mouths shut. I talked w/her in depth about what my chiro said (to which she was totally appalled) and she said if they knew it was causing deaths etc. they would not continue to push parents to vaccinate and the vaccine would not be available. No way shape or form would they continue to push it if it were not safe. And she said it would HAVE to be reported and you would hear about it in the news.

I still don't get the hype behind the "long term effects" b/c it's the same as the dang seasonal shot so the "long term effects" should be the same as the seasonal. I just don't get the hype behind all of this. IT IS ABSOLUTELY CRAZY. ALL OF IT!

One of my favorites I've recently read is that this is the governments way of reducing population :-).....umm yeah some people have too much time on their hands....
So much of the anti vaccine arguments remind me of stuff from Mythbusters. It sounds plausible, if you don't really understand the science, but once you actually analyze it scientifically, its total BS.
I've heard the stuff about reducing the population too and that just doesn't make any sense! As a capitalist society, you need a steady flow of young HEALTHY workers to keep the economy going. Also the WHO recommends both breast feeding AND vaccinations. If they really wanted to reduce the population, why would they push both?
Once you really start researching the science of vaccines the anti vaccine end up not making much sense at all.

December 1st, 2009, 03:04 PM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
See most people who are anti vaccine aren't medical professionals either so they make things up as they go along.

Seriously if that were true it would be off the market by now. The H1N1 mist is new but the regular seasonal flu mist has been out for years now and my ds has taken it every year for the past 2 years with no issues. My pedi even gave it to his 3 kids with no concerns.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search