Not pregnany and no children but....

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 10th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Audrey's Aunt Amanda's Avatar Not a mommy yet.
Send a message via ICQ to Audrey's Aunt Amanda Send a message via Yahoo to Audrey's Aunt Amanda
I like to be as informed about as much as possible before I go into to anything, hence why I'm posting here.
I don't want to home school, I was and as much as I liked it, I hated it because I have very few friends. And here in Michigan, children can not go to school unless they are up to date on all vaccinations. I have "heard" about delayed vaccsing but not alot. My best friends baby (one in my siggy) was healthy until she received her 4 month shots. She got all 5 in 1 visit and with in a week she had 2 Grand Mal seizures in 1 day. And since then she has had at least 1 seizure every month and a half. She is undiagnosed. They don't know why she is having seizures. After her second birthday she is going for 4 MRI to see if anything shows up that was too small to be seen on the the earlier 3. She was on Phenobarbital but that didn't work. In fact when she was on it, she had up to 3 seizures a week.

I'm not saying that the Vaccinations caused the seizures. But I know when I have children I don't want them going through what Audrey and her family are.

What exactly does delayed vaccinations entail?

PLUMCOSM
Purple Plums, just one more helping
Just SOME of my favorite names!

February 10th, 2010, 01:08 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Delaying can be whatever you want, really it's just not following the recommended schedule but rather getting them done at your own pace. Some people delay starting vaccines, waiting until an age they are more comfortable with, others delay by spacing them out, not getting so many in one visit, some do both of that. Then there is also selective vaccination, where you get some of the recommended vaccines but not others for whatever reason. Some people delay and selective vax.

A lot of people follow Dr Roberts Sears' Alternative Vaccine Schedule. It provides a timeframe to get all the vaccines, but no more than 2 at a time. To quote Dr. Sears, "it's the best of both worlds of disease prevention and safe vaccination." You might want to check out his book The Vaccine Book

Dr. Bob's Alternative Vaccine Schedule

2 mos. - DTaP, Rotavirus
3 mos. - Pc, HIB
4 mos. - DTaP, Rotavirus
5 mos. - Pc, HIB
6 mos. - DTaP, Rotavirus
7 mos. - Pc, HIB
9 mos. - Polio, Flu (2 doses)
12 mos. - Mumps, Polio
15 mos. - Pc, HIB
18 mos. - DTaP, Chickenpox
21 mos. - Flu
2 yrs. - Rubella, Polio
2 yrs., 6 mos. - Hep B, Hep A
3 yrs. - Hep B, Measles, Flu
3 yrs., 6 mos. - Hep B, Hep A
4 yrs. - DTaP, Polio, Flu
5 yrs. - MMR, Flu
6 yrs. - Chickenpox
12 yrs. - Tdap, HPV
12 yrs., 2 mos. - HPV
13 yrs. - HPV, Meningococ

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
February 23rd, 2010, 10:24 AM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Actually, just so you know. You do not have to be up to date on vax to go to school. You can get an exemtion form from your state and any public school, daycare or preschool has to take it.

Religious, personal or Medical exemption.
Source: Michigan Opposing Mandatory Vaccines:
P.O. Box 1121, Troy, MI 48099-1121
Phone: (810) 447-2418.

Good Luck on your decision.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

February 23rd, 2010, 10:34 AM
Jean Grey's Avatar Veteran
You can use the Dr. Sears schedule or you can ask your doctor to break up vaccines in a way that you're comfortable with. My doctor and I discussed breaking up my son's 18 month vaccines since there are 2 combination shots at once, but for the most part we've vaccinated on schedule. You can also skip some vaccines or delay them if that's what you want, and do the rest on schedule or do the vaccines necessary to get your child in school. Most states do allow you to waive vaccines, but the laws vary by state. In Wisconsin, you just have to check a box on your child's school registration form. Public schools cannot deny entry for being unvaccinated, but private schools and daycares can, so if you're considering daycare find out which vaccines they require beforehand.

ETA: I forgot to say, I hope the doctors can find out why your little niece is having seizures and that they can find treatment that works for her. I'm wishing her and her family lots of luck!

Last edited by Jean Grey; February 23rd, 2010 at 10:41 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search