Would you ever expose your ....

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2010, 10:12 AM
MamaLacey's Avatar Mama of two boys & TTC #3
Send a message via AIM to MamaLacey Send a message via Yahoo to MamaLacey
Would you ever expose your child to something like chicken pox? I know we've probably heard about the chicken pox parties. So would you ever purposely expose your child to another child with chicken pox in hopes to gain natural immunity?
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.
Meningitis Awareness FB - http://www.facebook.com/meningitisawareness
Landan's Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLwEgZaS68
Landan's Memorial bracelets are available at his website below.

My Facebook - Landan's Memory-Of - AngelLandan.com
March 7th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No. In order to get the natural immunity, they'd have to go through the very sickness I'm trying to prevent with the vaccine. Also, I remember having chicken pox, it was miserable!
March 7th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Jean Grey's Avatar Veteran
No. Like the pp said, the reason we have vaccines is to prevent those diseases because they were never just some right of passage--they were potentially lethal. If we didn't have the chicken pox vaccine though--that's a tough call. Supposedly, its more serious when you're older, so I might have tried to have my sons catch it when they were in early elementary school, but I'm not sure. I'm just glad we have the vaccine now so I don't have to worry about chicken pox parties now!

March 8th, 2010, 01:07 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Agreed. Now (that there's a vaccine), no definitely not. Prior to the chicken pox vaccine, you bet! I know somebody that got them in her early 20's (prior to the vax). She purposely got them (she was a teacher) thinking it was better to get them then than on down the road. She ended up in the hospital for quite a while...

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
March 14th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Veteran
The 2 vaccines I dont do are chicken pox and flu.

Only reason I dont do the chicken pox one is that here its a pricey one, and my first 3 kids had it and all three got the chicken pox (all at the same time, yeah, that wasnt fun), one quite severely, so theres something in our genes that just arent quite taking it.

Wouldnt do a chicken pox party though, if they get it they get it if they dont they dont.
March 15th, 2010, 02:27 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Absolutely not. If there were no vaccine, I think so - if I did, it would be the younger the better, because I know and have seen that it is much more serious and severe the older the person is when they contract it. I too remember being miserable with chicken pox as a child but I have seen it much much worse on adults friends, and they scarred as well.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!

Last edited by picklesmama; March 15th, 2010 at 02:30 AM.
March 15th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Terri.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Terri.
Absolutely. However, I'm not sure if they'd catch it or not since they've already been vaccinated for chicken pox!
March 21st, 2010, 07:36 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Really, you'd rather they get the chicken pox than have the vaccine? Just making sure I haven't misunderstood

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
April 11th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Not sure. Some children I know got it from the vaccine. I had it twice, guess the first illness didn't take. I had an uncle that got it three times, and my brother got it twice as well. My husband had it as an adult and was really ill. After the vaccination, I would when she's still young. If there's a chance it didn't work, I'd rather her have it small than as a grown up.
April 11th, 2010, 12:54 PM
KimberlyD0
No I wouldn't

My job as a parent is to keep them safe and as healthy as I can.. intentionally exposing them to somehting like CP is contrary to that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search