Menveo - New Meningococcal Vaccine

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2010, 01:41 AM
MamaLacey's Avatar Mama of two boys & TTC #3
Send a message via AIM to MamaLacey Send a message via Yahoo to MamaLacey
Menveo

I think it's about time we work on making a meningococcal vaccine for younger children instead of always making ones that are approved from 11- 55yrs.

I don't understand it ... But in Canada kids are vaccinated MUCH younger for Meningococcal Meningitis.
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.
Meningitis Awareness FB - http://www.facebook.com/meningitisawareness
Landan's Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLwEgZaS68
Landan's Memorial bracelets are available at his website below.

My Facebook - Landan's Memory-Of - AngelLandan.com
April 28th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Jean Grey's Avatar Veteran
I wonder why its approved for younger kids in Canada. I hope they can come up with a vaccine for younger kids soon.

May 7th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree... why isn't there one for younger kids? I'd think they're more likely to get it at a young age yet we can't protect them until they're nearly teens?
May 10th, 2010, 01:14 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I think kids CAN get the meningococcal vaccine from age 2, from what I have read. I'm pretty sure it's just that it is only routinely recommended for kids over 11, but still can be, and is recommended to be given to kids aged 2-10 who are considered at risk for meningococcal disease.
Let me look for some links.

ETA
OK, back with links! I put in the italics and bolded some of the text.

Quote:
in Canada kids are vaccinated MUCH younger for Meningococcal Meningitis.
In BC, Canada (where I'm from) they give the Men-C vaccine routinely to ALL children at 2 and 12 months BUT it only protects against meningococcal group/type C http://www.immunizebc.ca/ImmVacPrevD...al+disease.htm
Menactra and Menveo both protect against types A, C, Y, and W-135. These four types cause about 70 percent of the disease in the United States.
There is not yet a vaccine for meningococcal type B, which accounts for about one-third of cases in adolescents.

Quote:
why isn't there one for younger kids? I'd think they're more likely to get it at a young age yet we can't protect them until they're nearly teens?
According to the CDC, the meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV4, Menactra) can be given to persons aged 2-55, but it's only routinely given to those aged 11-18 Vaccines: VPD-VAC/Mening/Who Needs this Vaccine

I checked the 2010 Childhood Vaccine Schedule and it IS on there for ages 2+ BUT it's specified for children in certain high-risk groups. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/sch...chedule-pr.pdf
This vaccine fact sheet even says that in special circumstances, another form of the vaccine (MPSV4, Menomune) can be given to babies 3 months -2 years http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis...vis-mening.pdf

Menveo's fine print currently says this:
Pediatric Populations
Safety and effectiveness of MENVEO in children under 11 years old have not been established.
Sectiopn 8.4 http://www.fda.gov/downloads/biologi.../ucm201349.pdf

If you read the details in the Menveo approval letter here, under Pediatric Requirements, it does say that there are further studies being done, for ages 2 months to 10 years, with a completion timeframe of 2011-2012
http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVac.../ucm201343.htm

Menactra's fine print used to say the same thing. It was approved for ages 11-55 in 2005, at which time their approval letter said they would submit data for approval for ages 2+ by 2006, and it's approval was expanded to include ages 2-10 in 2007.
http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVac.../ucm176044.htm

So, hopefully Menveo will soon get approval for younger children as well.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!

Last edited by picklesmama; May 10th, 2010 at 02:07 AM.
May 12th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Huh, okay so it's approved but why not recommended except for "high risk" children. I wouldn't say any baby is especily high risk for hepatitis-b either, but they give em the vaccine at birth. It seems strange to me. If we can prevent something deadly as meningitis, why wouldn't it be recommended that we do so?
May 12th, 2010, 07:04 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanahoria View Post
Huh, okay so it's approved but why not recommended except for "high risk" children. I wouldn't say any baby is especily high risk for hepatitis-b either, but they give em the vaccine at birth. It seems strange to me. If we can prevent something deadly as meningitis, why wouldn't it be recommended that we do so?
Certainly some babies are at higher risk than others for Hep B, especially given you can carry it without symptoms. I do agree not all need it at birth though - we waited until her first round of vaccines, because we knew we were not in a risk category and she would not be exposed to any adults in a risk category - however, not all parents make informed or conscientous decisons about their children's well-being, and for the protection of those children, I am glad for the policy. Read what this recent study found: 1 in 5 At-Risk U.S. Babies Doesn't Get Hepatitis B Vaccine
Additionally, medical errors can result in accidental exposure of newborns.

This article from the AAP may be helpful in answering your questions about their policy on meningococcal disease: Prevention and Control of Meningococcal Disease: Recommendations for Use of Meningococcal Vaccines in Pediatric Patients -- Committee on Infectious Diseases 116 (2): 496 -- AAP Policy

Jump to the section on why the recommendations are what they are

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search