First vaccine

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 5th, 2010, 06:50 AM
~LaNa~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello ladies
I'm Lana,new to this msg board but not to JM :]
I have a baby girl who isn't vaccinated even tho she's 2 and a half,almost 3 months.Everytime we take her to the pedi's to get the vaccine she screams bloody murder and the doc thinks she's in pain.However,she calms down the second we leave the office.
I was wondering if u girls have any advice/tricks for me to make her more calm before and during the vaccination.Does Tylenol help?

Also,do u know something about the first vaccine?Is it one shot or more?
Kalina's pedi gives only one shot i was told unlike the CLSC nurses (where ppl usually go for vaccines) who give the same vaccine in 2 shots.
How about ur baby?Was he/she given one of more shots?What's the difference?
Have u heard about this combined vaccine?

Thanks for reading
Have a nice day
Lana
May 5th, 2010, 09:07 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Hi Lana,
Here are some things you can do to help put Kalina at ease and comfort her when she gets their vaccines. Some are good for babies, others for older kids.
  • Stay calm. If your child feels that you are relaxed, they are more lilely to feel safe.
  • Bring your child's lovey, or a favorite toy or book.
  • Hold your child in your lap for the vaccination. There is no rule that says they must be on the doctors table/bed.
  • Give non-aspirin pain relief shortly before the shot.
  • Speak or sing softly and soothingly close to your child's ear during the shots.
  • If you are nursing, breastfeed during or immediately after the shots are administered.
  • Encourage your child to take deep breaths and "blow out" the pain.
  • Tell a story, or ask your child to tell you one.
  • Let them cry! Don't try to force them to "be brave".
  • Reward them afterwards.

As for how many shots she will get, I think you will need to ask her provider, or you could phone Info-Santé 8-1-1. Providers often prefer combination vaccines over separate shots when two or more vaccines are due at the same time; if they can safely be mixed together that's less injections they have to give the child. According to Québec's schedule, she should be getting her first DTaP-Polio-Hib and PCV. I'm pretty sure my baby got that as 2 injections. Maybe Kalina's pedi spaces vaccines out?

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search