Just wanted to share my reasoning for choosing to vaccinate.

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2011, 04:39 AM
hoping and waiting's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am very nervous about giving AB vax's but still feel right about doing it. I wish they were safer substances put into them though. I guess we have decided based on the info that's out there now that we want to keep AB protected against some of the possibly life threatening diseases that could very well come back and spread if we don't keep kids protected. And I know people would say that those diseases are eradicated, but the truth is that many are not and due to the nature of disease in general could spread if ever given the chance. So I guess I also feel a public responsibility to vaccinate. I hate that there are crazy ingredients in them and so my push would be that scientists keep working to make the vax's as safe as possible. I also feel that it is important to choose which we would want to give if any. So there are a few (MMR included) that AB may not get. And we are also feeling it is best to space out the vax's as much as possible so as to reduced the risk of overwhelming the immune system. Also, in the realm of the possible link of vax's and autism, I have concluded that vax's may be a trigger for autism in children who are predisposed to it and that allergic/adverse reactions may be the culprit for the trigger. It's scary to have to choose between exposing you baby to suseptibility to disease (although not probable at the moment) or crap in vax's. But that's the fallen world we live in. Some day we won't have to worry about all this any more. (I am a Christian) I just wanted to share what I have concluded based on the research I have done. We all do what we think is the very best for our children even if it's a tough decision. Sorry for the heavy message. I guess I had more to say then I thought I did when I started writing. Please let me know if you learn anything else about vax's that you think is important as I know that the research is always ongoing on these things and opinions seem to be changing in both parents and in the medical and research community. And I want to be ongoing on these things and opinions seem to be changing in both parents and in the medical and research community. And I want to be on top of it so I can make informed decisions.
April 17th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Doing the research and choosing to vaccinate is as respectable a choice as any on this board. Most parents don't give it a second thought, so at least you will be able to feel a sense of empowerment based on the knowledge you have.

In my research I just couldn't justify a single vaccine. The risk of vaccine damage always outweighed the potential benefit in my research, but I can appreciate that not everyone will feel that way.

I'm glad that you've come to a decision that you can feel good about, despite my not agreeing with you

Sorry... I thought I was in Choosing NOT To Vaccinate lol

...quietly making an exit! SORRY

April 17th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Tofu Bacon
Hi! I was staunchly non-vax for quite a few years, but have fairly recently decided to resume vaccinating my children. Its been a long road with a lot of research, and all along I had a list of concerns with vaccines; I told myself that if every concern could ever be sufficiently put at ease, only then would I consider vaccinating. Well, it took 5 years, but it did happen.

My biggest concerns were the ingredients and the reactions. I've come to the conclusion that ingredients may be "toxins" but are not in high enough quantities to actually be toxic. The potential exists, but nothing in this life is 100% safe from risk. As far as reactions go... I have to say the risk is over-emphasized... and I say that as someone whose child did have a serious reaction. I accept that my son's reaction was rare and I believe that if serious reactions were more common, post-marketing surveillance would pick up on it. Did vaccines trigger his autism? I don't know what I believe anymore, and I'm sure my suspicion will always be there... but I can't ask my children to be sick with preventable diseases that carry their own risk of complications.

Anyway, even after being 100% sure (or so I thought) of the choice not to vaccinate, 3 books caused me to re-think everything I thought I knew about diseases, vaccines, their ingredients, herd immunity, good science vs. pseudoscience. I highly recommend these books, as after I read them I feel like I am only now making a truly informed choice:

The Panic Virus, by Seth Mnookin
Autism's False Prophets, by Paul Offit
Deadly Choices, by Paul Offit
April 25th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Motherx3's Avatar <3
I think reading up and learning more about vaccines can help make a respectable decision. What ever you choice, you can be more confident with the knowledge you have received. I personally have vaccinated all three of my children but I don't disagree with mothers who don't vaccinate their children, its all personal choice and there are pros and cons on both sides.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search