Daughter scheduled to get MMR tomorrow...

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 25th, 2011, 04:44 PM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
I just want opinions.. Its hard to find information on the web about this, and some stuff just scares me more...

My daughter has to get her 15 month shots tomorrow, the MMR and Varicella.. I am so so so nervous about the MMR.. I was going to try to wait until around 2 to get it..she stays home and is watched by my MIL and we never travel, etc.. However we are in an area where there are ALOT of colleges with people who come in from all over the world (including IV league Cornell University) and I know that Measles and Mumps have started to increase in the number of infections..

I just don't know what to do. She is up to date with every other vaccine except I opted out on the rotovirus vaccine.. My son (who is 7) has had every vaccine on schedule.

My husband thinks I should just get it, but I'm afraid of it. I know that the whole correlation between Autism and MMR has been "proven" over and over again to be illegitamate, but I can't help but wonder..

I know if I ask the doc he will say that its fine, she's better to have it than not to, and that there is NO connection between MMR and Autism.. I still can't shake the feeling I have about it screaming "NOT GOOD!" I dont know what to do.. I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons here.

xposted
July 26th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Tofu Bacon
While these diseases are relatively self-limiting, I believe they are worth avoiding. Admittedly, I put them off for a very long time (my daughter got the first dose at 3, my older son got the second dose at 6) because of the lingering fear that ds1's first dose of MMR may have triggered his autism. Is it possible? Yes, but Science does not support a link, which made my fear unsubstantiated. There's probably no harm in putting it off a little longer, if for no other reason than your own peace of mind.

I highly recommend 2 books, which outline the whole controversy in great detail. These books were so concise that they converted me from a long-time non-vaxer (a 3rd generation non-vaxer, to boot) to vaccinating pretty much on schedule.

Amazon.com: The Panic Virus: A True Story of Medicine, Science, and Fear: Seth Mnookin: Books
Amazon.com: Autism's False Prophets: Bad Science, Risky Medicine, and the Search for a Cure (9780231146371): Paul A. Offit: Books
August 6th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Veteran
At the end of the day, you will know in your heart what is right. I had DD vax'd on schedule except for the MMR. I wanted her to have it ALONE and every time we went she was getting another vax or she was getting a make-up one that she didn't get on schedule becuase there was a shortage. As a result, she ended up having it at her 3yo appt when she had nothing else and TBH I felt sick after she got it just anticipating what could go wrong. I know there is no 'actual documentation' linking MMR and ASD but there is also too much out there that is saying otherwise (whether Peds acknowledge it or not). At this time, DD is up to date on everything and when DS is born in Sept I think I may do a delayed schedule with him. I do believe they SHOULD have the vax's but so many at one time, well???

November 1st, 2011, 02:27 AM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
This is probably moot, but my son was actually red-flagged for autism right BEFORE the MMR shot.

November 26th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Regular
i dont come from this board but i was browsing and came across this post.. if i were to vaccinate my children, i would opt out of the mmr. im neither pro- or anti- vaccine, but i am definitely pro-mommy instincts!!
a friend made me watch this video on youtube called "vaccines the risks, the benefits, the choices" and this lady, a dr, has taken all her info from the cdc and widely used medical journals.
Vaccines - The Risks, The Benefits, The Choices [complete] - YouTube
skip to 2:20:25, this is where she talks about the mmr vaccine.

i hope you made the choice you feel was best!
November 28th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Tofu Bacon's Avatar Enigma... or oxymoron?
Hmm, I'm not sure Dr. Sherri Tenpenny could be considered a reliable source on vaccinations, considering her lack of formal training. Yes, she uses data from the CDC and medical journals, but a cursory glance at her references reveals her false conclusions of cherry-picked data.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search