Chicken Pox

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 25th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Athey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Athey
I know there is this whole debate over whether or not to vax for chicken pox since the vacine only lasts for 10 years so I wondered what some other people's opinions on it are.

When I was 18 months old, I got the chickenpox and ended up in a coma for 2 days and nearly died. That being the case, I'm sort of on the side of vaxing for it But from what I understand, if you get chicken pox when you're older, it can be even worse, right?

At the same time, I don't recall even being near anyone with chicken pox since I was a child. So I don't see the risk of being exposed to it later in life being all that high. And if everyone got vaxed for it (hah - oh well...) then it would be gone and the problem wouldn't exist anymore. Not like that's gonna happen though...

So I dunno. What do you plan to do?

ETA - I was just thinking about it and getting it at 10 is still a hell of a lot safer then getting it at 2, so I'd rather the vacine wear off at 10 and they catch it then. But there's still the risk that they wouldn't catch it and get exposed when they're like 20 or something. ...Bah. I'm just rambling. Opinions!

September 25th, 2006, 07:56 PM
lizard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had DS vaxed for Chicken Pox because I can't risk him catching it. DH has had Chicken Pox 3 times and since it is supposed to be much worse when you get it when you are older (and each time he has had it the doctor has told him that it is the worst case they have ever seen), I had to have DS vaxed so that DH wouldn't be exposed to it through him.

10/31/05 (EDD 5/15/06), 4/17/06 (EDD 11/13/06)
Chemical p/g 1/11/08

September 26th, 2006, 06:54 AM
mommyx4's Avatar Super Mommy
First I didn't even know that it only lasted for 10 years . Does that mean that they have to get it again? Second my two cousins got the vaccine and both of them have since got the chicken pox, one of them even got it twice. I did get both of my girls the shot but this was before my cousins got the chicken pox with the shot. If I had to do it again I would not give it to them and just let them get chicken pox(early as possible). However I believe that they have to have it before going into school.
September 26th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Athey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Athey
Yeah, schools won't let your child attend unless you can provide proof that they've either been vaxed for it or have had it and have an immunity to it now.

I never realized you could get chicken pox more then once o_O I always thought that once you had it, you couldn't get it again.

In any case, chicken pox can be a big deal even if the kid is really young. No one thought it was a big deal when I got chicken pox when I was 18mo, but I nearly died from it.

September 27th, 2006, 04:08 AM
Mom2DyJessAva's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i no i dont belong here in this board but i have a question that i hope u dont mind..i thought u could only get chicken pox once?? if i heard that correctly from my doctor

September 27th, 2006, 06:39 AM
veronica_atx's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to veronica_atx
thats what i thought too! i had chicken pox when i was in kindergarten, i hope i can't get it again. it was horrible.
September 27th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Stacey's Avatar Super Star...mom to 6 ♥
I think its rare but yes you can get Chicken Pox again....My BIL had it when he was little and then again a few days before his wedding....Every single wedding picture, you can see the spots on his face...

My boys are much older, 16 and 18 so back then it wasnt even offered so we never got it for them. They both had the chicken pox as a baby and both of them, thankfully, didnt have it bad.

My 6 year old daughter had the shot and Im sure I will end up getting it for my youngest when shes old enough!

As for the shot lasting only 10 years...WOW, this I didnt know!

September 30th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
One of my kids has scars all over her body from the chicken pox, there are all these spots on her scalp wher hair doesn't grow, the chicken pox destroyed the follicles. So, no, it's not like being in a coma, but she had the most horrible case of it when she was 3 months, and I can't imagine an older child having them like that (when they're able to scractch), so my youngest is definetly getting the shot.
October 1st, 2006, 11:28 AM
3Xblessed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you had a very mild case the first time than you can get it a second time...mostly because your body does not produce enough antibodies. As for the shot only lasting a certian amount of time....they will probably offer boosters like they do with other vaccines.

Chicken pox can also come back as shinlges....which I had last year....totally painful.
October 4th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had no clue it only lasted for 10 years.. wonder if they would just keep vaxing for it

October 4th, 2006, 09:00 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I had no clue it only lasted for 10 years.. wonder if they would just keep vaxing for it[/b]
Been wondering this too. It may like a tetnus shot, you need to get a "booster" every few years to maintain immunity from it.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

October 5th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am going to ask at our next ped appt in 3 mos... I will let you all know then unless someone finds out sooner

October 7th, 2006, 05:38 PM
mom to soon to be 4 GIRLS
My first was vaccinated for it. My second is only 3.5 months, but she had the chickenpox when she was 6 wks old. my first caught it, but only had a couple dots. I am still vaccinating my second, even though she already had them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search