Delaying Vaccines

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 27th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
First of all, let me say that I look here periodically but haven't really posted (maybe once or twice???). I'm here from the financial planning board for our field trip Friday!

We are vaccinating our son, but on a delayed/adjusted timeline.

I know when I asked my pediatrician about delaying vaccines she was all up in arms abut how many shots that would be! For me I would rather side with caution. I would rather have a crying baby from additional shots than for something to go wrong based on how many vaccines they were given at once. (And actually I've lucked out on the crying baby part...he's fascinated by what they are doing...he's only cried 2 or 3 times and no longer than 5 minutes and of the times...he'll be 2 in June!) I know that companies are trying to put many things together to eliminate the number of shots, but isn't the real concern about the vaccines and not the number of shots???
April 27th, 2007, 07:03 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I sometimes wonder the same thing. So far, we've done all of Ben's shots on schedule except that we skipped chicken pox. His ped wasn't too thrilled about it, but oh well.
April 27th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Tofu Bacon
I have a huge beef with combo shots, mainly for 2 reasons:

1. That's a lot for a young body to handle at once. With the DTaP for example, the baby's body is fighting off diptheria, pertussis and tetanus at the same time, plus the stabilizers and preservatives. If I wouldn't want my baby to fight off 3 natural diseases at once, so it doesn't make much more sense to vaccinate him with all of these pathogens at one time (plus the pathogens in all of the other shops given that day)

2. If your baby has a reaction, you won't know what he is reacting to. At least if the shots are split out you can monitor for signs of a reaction and know exactly which shots to avoid. When ds was vaccinated as an infant he was haveing progressively worse reactions, but we have no idea which ingredient could be causing it because several shots are given in one visit.
April 27th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I have a huge beef with combo shots, mainly for 2 reasons:

1. That's a lot for a young body to handle at once. With the DTaP for example, the baby's body is fighting off diptheria, pertussis and tetanus at the same time, plus the stabilizers and preservatives. If I wouldn't want my baby to fight off 3 natural diseases at once, so it doesn't make much more sense to vaccinate him with all of these pathogens at one time (plus the pathogens in all of the other shops given that day)

2. If your baby has a reaction, you won't know what he is reacting to. At least if the shots are split out you can monitor for signs of a reaction and know exactly which shots to avoid. When ds was vaccinated as an infant he was haveing progressively worse reactions, but we have no idea which ingredient could be causing it because several shots are given in one visit.[/b]
#1-That's exactly what I was trying to express, but you explained it much better than me!
Our son got a shot that combined DTaP plus Hep B and Polio and they still wanted to give additional shots for Hib and Pneumococcal Conjugate at 2 months!!!!! We only did the shot with the 5 things-which looking back I would change (no problems with it, but I just didn't know enough at the time!). We are separating the MMR shot and he's not getting the first of it until his 2 year visit. I know there's a lot of talk back and forth about it and autism, but...again, I'd rather go with the better safe than sorry reasoning (I has a cousin who is severely autistic).

I don't understand why the docs care so much...he's getting them, just not as fast as what they'd like. Since my son is not in a child care facility I don't worry about him getting something from somewhere!
April 28th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Perfectly*Mixed*Up
I can't argue with you, but I vaccinate on schedule. None of my kiddos had any problems.
I don't see any problems with delaying though. Your child, your choice ya know?
February 23rd, 2008, 06:51 PM
Little Mrs Sunshine
I also choose to use a delayed vaccination schedule. i have a hard time deciding exactly how to go about it though. my dr supports any choice i make which I love. a lot of women in her office delay vaccinations. I dont understand the rush dr's have. my kids can have their immunizations before school age without getting a bunch all at once and at a young age. For me the debate is between delaying vaccinations or not vaccinating at all. vaccinating on the new speedy schedule that they didnt use even when my mom was a kid makes no sense to me. its for the dr's convenience, risking health to get things done faster. i dont see the purpose. I only wish I could find a schedule I feel comfortable with.
February 26th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Lilah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
For me the debate is between delaying vaccinations or not vaccinating at all. vaccinating on the new speedy schedule that they didnt use even when my mom was a kid makes no sense to me. its for the dr's convenience, risking health to get things done faster. i dont see the purpose. I only wish I could find a schedule I feel comfortable with.[/b]
Although the more research I do the scarier vaccines sound to me. It certainly makes you wonder how much healthier kids would be if these didn't exist and how much the big drug companies have manipulated the population into buying into the whole vaccine issue...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search