Against the flu vaccine

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 20th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to huntersmom31504
what do I do my lil boy loves preschool i've got no problem gettting other vaccines but, refuse the flu vaccine..how can i get around this problem.. i have contacted the ped dr my son sees on base but, this is the email i got last week bout the vaccine

hunter loves preschool loves it so today i get an email and this is what it says

Parents,

On Wednesday, 16 Jan 08 the CDC under went a Public Health Inspection.
During the inspection we were informed that as of 1 Dec 07 the
Immunizations Schedule for Children Aged 0-6 Years was updated for the
year 2008. You will find this immunization schedule attached to this
email. There are two major differences between this new schedule and
its predecessor. The changes that affect the children of the CDC are:

* All children 6 months of age and older are required to have an
influenza vaccination, yearly.

* All children 12 months and older are required to have the Hep
A immunization series.

We encourage you to check your child's immunization records to make sure
they comply with this new regulatory standard. As of 8 Feb 08 the CDC
will not be able to accept children into the classrooms that do not
comply with this regulation. All immunizations must be current for your
child. If you are not sure if your child is overdue for immunizations
we will be glad to look at your immunization record and go over it with
you. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us or Public
Health.

Thank you,

///signed///
Yulanda Richardson
Director, Shaw Child Development Center

My problem is I REFUSE REFUSE REFUSE for the boys to get the flu shot.. hunter the last time he got the flu shot was the sickest hes ever been i have no problem with the other one but, refuse to do the flu shot.. so i called immunizations and they told me he didnt have to have it so then i call the cdc and she tells me he does have to have it.. told her he wont get the flu shot i refuse to get it and she said theres no way around it so i'm going to pull him out.. am i being stupid.. i just dont want to expose my child to something that is going to make him very ill..

this is a response i got on another board that just made me angry.. i just dont feel like the flu vaccine is a necessity in our childs schedule

Well Angie, I have to agree with the CDC regulations on this one. If the kids are going to be in a group setting, getting something as serious as the flu and passing it around is a really bad thing.
Once your kiddos start school, they start picking up and passing around everything.

Alll my kids have gotton their flu shots regularly, even Cooper got his this year.
None of them have ever had an issue with getting sick from the shot.
Jason got it once and got sick after, but since then, he gets it every year and has never had an issue since, so we just think it was a fluke thing that year.

I think if Hunter loves school, you're being silly to pull him from the preschool because of a flu shot.
Personally... I'd get the shot and allow him to continue at school. It's good for him, and eventually, he'll HAVE to attned school (unless you plan to homeschool him) and at that point, he'll have to be up to date on all his vax ~ including flu most likely by then

how do i get around the flu vaccine and keeping my child in school .. i have told the shcool i will pull him out of the program

</a>

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w8zcoKR/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

January 25th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christy005
you may find better info if you post this in the choosing not to vaccinate forum! good luck!

January 28th, 2008, 02:18 PM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That really sucks. I absolutely refuse the flu vaccines for my dd as well. I don't have any advice, but just wanted to let you know your not alone about the flu vaccine. I hope you find better answers on the choosing not to vaccinate board.

PS I would have flipped a lid at the poster from the other board. Talk about preachy, condescending, arrogant b*tch.
February 2nd, 2008, 10:18 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
You'll need to contact your state's health officials to find out what steps to take. The last line of the letter says, "If you have any questions please feel free to contact us or Public Health." There are ways to get out of vaccines, but they're different in every state. Some states allow parents to opt-out because of their own conscious. Some states require you to get a letter from an official of your church basing your choice on religious grounds. Talk to your doctor. If your doctor feels it wouldn't be safe to give the vax based on past history (such as allergic reactions or whatever), you can get him to write a note to the school. I wish you the best. I have a similar belief. Ben will be getting every shot except chicken pox. I think that vax is pointless and potentially more dangerous than helpful. It might keep him from getting a mild childhood case of pox, but it can wear off and he could get a deadly case as an adult.
February 4th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Tofu Bacon
The problem is that your state only allows for medical or religious exemptions. Medical exemptions are virtually impossible to get, and can be revoked at any time. To file a religious exemption you have to oppose all vaccinations; you can't selectively vaccinate, its all or nothing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search