Private Practice

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2009, 08:16 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Anyone watch Private Practice tonight?

A child came to the clinic, had a 102 fever, doc looked in the mouth, said "Oh no he has measles." They went on and on about how everyone was exposed (in the clinic) and they needed to make sure everyone was vaccinated. Mom of boy also had another son with autism, and mom blamed the vaccines. One doc said something about mom believing in a conspiracy, and that the CDC said vaccines do not cause autism. Boy's condition got worse, he was hospitalized. Mom wouldn't vaccinate her 3rd son because of the son with autism. Doc took it upon himself to vaccinate that boy without parental consent. Mom said she'd sue him for all he's worth.... he said it was a danger to the public, and child abuse. Son with measles died at the end of the episode.

I know I left some parts out... but that was the gist of it. It was mainly one sided. Only a few seconds were shown where a doctor said it was the parent's choice not to vaccinate during a debate in the break room.

I usually love Private Practice... but episodes like this really turn me off. I sat there through the show saying "That's not true." "That's a lie" etc. and DH kept telling me to shut up
January 9th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Tribeca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh boy,

Im glad I didn't see it. It would have just made me angry. If I did watch PP. Id stop watching and boycott! Kind of like I have boycotted anything with Amanda Peet in it!

"An error can never become true however many times you repeat it. The truth can never be wrong, even if no one ever hears about it." Mahatma Gandhi
"Doctors put drugs of which they know little, into bodies of which they know less, for diseases of which they know nothing at all. Voltaire
"A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
January 9th, 2009, 07:18 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know, I almost stopped watching it about 5 minutes in. I told DH I hated these kind of shows where they take something that's in the media, add it to a fake television show, and make it seem one-sided. I told him I wanted to change the channel, but he was like "No, I want to watch it." So I warned him that it's just a TV show and don't believe everything they say. So in the end, I ended up watching it so that I could report back all the misinformation!!!
January 9th, 2009, 09:40 AM
~Annissa~'s Avatar I love my kids!
Yeah I saw it, my sister called me to tell me to watch the last 25 mins of it. I thought it was terribly one sided and it made me angry. Thankfully, I've never seen it before and I'll more than likely never watch it again. Of course they had to make the worst case scenario and not explain ANY risks of the vaccines. The "vaccines are safe and the standard of care" really got to me.

January 9th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Tofu Bacon
Well, let's hope that the American public isn't foolish enough to look to a FICTIONAL television show for education. That said, I'm going to watch it tonight after the kids are in bed and then come back to vent
January 9th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Phoeniciaann
I am SOOO happy that you brought this up. I watched the show last night, and was in shock. They could have at least had the Eastern Medicine DR. stand up for the mother. I agree, the show was completely one sided. People who happen not to think for themselves are going to run out and give their kids vaccines out of fear. It was pretty sad.

Phoenicia
January 9th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Tofu Bacon
Okay I watched it. They shamelessly generalized non-vaxers and helped perpetuate fear mongering over a self-limiting viral infection. It is completely unrealistic for a healthy, vibrant child with measles to go from a fever to the grave in the space of what, 2 days? Considering the death rate for measles (according to the CDC) is 0.2%, that doesn't say much for the abilities modern medicine, does it? Nevertheless, I'm not surprised, as prime time drama is intended to be dramatic, but I was absolutely APPAULED when the doctor forced a vaccine on the younger brother!!! I'm sure in real lif he could face discipinary action. If nothing else, this episode does reaffirm that sick children should be home in bed, not playing in a doctor's waiting room spreading germs to everyone else.

Now, let's balance this hype with a less sensationalistic view of the measles (my how times have changed):

http://www.blinkx.com/video/the-brady-bunc...5XO3MhdzsNbPFqQ
January 9th, 2009, 06:08 PM
MommaNator's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't watched that episode of Private Practice yet, but I know I am going to be mad! I hate how newspaper and parenting articles by "impartial" reporters seem to parrot the party line on vaccinations and never give another viewpoint. Now TV. Besides, wouldn't the third brother have been exposed to the measles already? What's the point of giving the live measles vax then? ^ Thanks for posting that episode of the Brady Bunch. I'm going to watch it later and stop procrastinating about doing my work. Hopefully.

Thanks Julie_aka_Mommy!

January 9th, 2009, 09:15 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh wow!!! That is insane! I did catch part of an older episode of House and my ears perked up when he said mercury posioning, but I was on the computer so I didnt watch all of it, but it had something to do with vaccines.
January 9th, 2009, 09:51 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
This just makes me so sad.
January 10th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Quote:
Okay I watched it. They shamelessly generalized non-vaxers and helped perpetuate fear mongering over a self-limiting viral infection. It is completely unrealistic for a healthy, vibrant child with measles to go from a fever to the grave in the space of what, 2 days? Considering the death rate for measles (according to the CDC) is 0.2%, that doesn't say much for the abilities modern medicine, does it? Nevertheless, I'm not surprised, as prime time drama is intended to be dramatic, but I was absolutely APPAULED when the doctor forced a vaccine on the younger brother!!! I'm sure in real lif he could face discipinary action. If nothing else, this episode does reaffirm that sick children should be home in bed, not playing in a doctor's waiting room spreading germs to everyone else.

Now, let's balance this hype with a less sensationalistic view of the measles (my how times have changed):

http://www.blinkx.com/video/the-brady-bunc...5XO3MhdzsNbPFqQ[/b]
Cori you rock! I just watched that episode of The brady Bunch. I love how the measles was NO BIG DEAL. A little dose of reality from the 60's!!!!

"An error can never become true however many times you repeat it. The truth can never be wrong, even if no one ever hears about it." Mahatma Gandhi
"Doctors put drugs of which they know little, into bodies of which they know less, for diseases of which they know nothing at all. Voltaire
January 10th, 2009, 06:17 AM
mommytutu's Avatar mom to Emma & Jacqueline
Quote:
Oh wow!!! That is insane! I did catch part of an older episode of House and my ears perked up when he said mercury posioning, but I was on the computer so I didnt watch all of it, but it had something to do with vaccines.[/b]

PAK

I watched an episode of House where a child was thought to have polio. House remarked that he was vaccinated and Chase countered "Vaccines don't always work." I wish I could remember which episode it was. The child ended up not having polio though.

January 10th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Tofu Bacon
I think what upsets me so much is the diservice to viewers by making it out to be that a parent's only optiona are vaccination or death. The odds of a healthy child dying from the measles is very very remote, just as the vast majority of children do not regress into autism ("coincidentally") following the MMR. An informed choice involves looking at the odds of complications and how they can be prevented. Personally, I can't say I'm looking forward to measles, but the odds of complications are slim enough where I'd choose that over the unknown consequences of vaccination. After my experience with ds (the vaccine reactions moreso than the autism) I feel that the only sure-fire way to prevent another severe reaction is to not vaccinate at all. But of course, I won't hold my breath waiting for the reality of vaccine reactions to be represented on television, because its "one in a million" and not worth talking about, dontchaknow?
January 10th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Quote:
I think what upsets me so much is the diservice to viewers by making it out to be that a parent's only optiona are vaccination or death. The odds of a healthy child dying from the measles is very very remote, just as the vast majority of children do not regress into autism ("coincidentally") following the MMR. An informed choice involves looking at the odds of complications and how they can be prevented. Personally, I can't say I'm looking forward to measles, but the odds of complications are slim enough where I'd choose that over the unknown consequences of vaccination. After my experience with ds (the vaccine reactions moreso than the autism) I feel that the only sure-fire way to prevent another severe reaction is to not vaccinate at all. But of course, I won't hold my breath waiting for the reality of vaccine reactions to be represented on television, because its "one in a million" and not worth talking about, dontchaknow?[/b]
I bet Carol Brady agrees

January 10th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Oh wow!!! That is insane! I did catch part of an older episode of House and my ears perked up when he said mercury posioning, but I was on the computer so I didnt watch all of it, but it had something to do with vaccines.[/b]

PAK

I watched an episode of House where a child was thought to have polio. House remarked that he was vaccinated and Chase countered "Vaccines don't always work." I wish I could remember which episode it was. The child ended up not having polio though.
[/b]
I had listened a lil bit of it, they were talking about doing chelation therapy etc. I was happy about that being put out there though.

I am so glad I read this post last night though, cause my mom is my BIGGEST challenge about not vaccinating Julian. We were talking and she goes...OH...I was watching this show and this kid didnt get his vaccine and he DIED!! I said ya, PP and it was measles and that is absurd. She goes well arent you scared...I said ya..scared to get HIM vaccinated. She goes, well they DIE from that stuff ya know, I said what..vaccines..I know mom!! I said mom, J is perfectly healthy, his immune system could and will fight off any disease he gets just fine. I am on top of his health and wont allow him to get to the point that a disease is deadly. He is young and healthy and has a good immune system and I plan on keeping it that way. Then we got into her health...she wonders why SHE is so sick, when for SO long I have told her to cut out those antibiotics and get a probioitic...WELL guess what! She must be sttarting to listen, we are going to the health food store monday! WOOT! OK sorry for the threadjack lol
January 11th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Tofu Bacon
Well looky here:

http://www.learcenter.org/html/proje...m=hhs/sentinel
Quote:
The Sentinel for Health Awards were developed by the Centers for Disease Control
and Prevention (CDC) to recognize exemplary achievements of TV writers who inform,
educate and motivate viewers to make choices for healthier and safer lives through their
storytelling.[/b]
It gets better:
Quote:
The Awards are administered by Hollywood, Health & Society (HH&S), a project of the USC
Annenberg Norman Lear Center, and is funded by the Centers for Disease Control and
Prevention (CDC)
. Hollywood, Health & Society serves as a one-stop-shop for writers, producers
and others in search of credible information on a wide range of public health topics
[/b]
Well, that explains their portrayal of the measles. Somehow, I'm just not surprised.
January 11th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Well looky here:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
The Sentinel for Health Awards were developed by the Centers for Disease Control
and Prevention (CDC) to recognize exemplary achievements of TV writers who inform,
educate and motivate viewers to make choices for healthier and safer lives through their
storytelling.[/b]
It gets better:
Quote:
The Awards are administered by Hollywood, Health & Society (HH&S), a project of the USC
Annenberg Norman Lear Center, and is funded by the Centers for Disease Control and
Prevention (CDC)
and others in search of credible information on a wide range of public health topics
[/b]
Well, that explains their portrayal of the measles. Somehow, I'm just not surprised.
[/b][/quote]

Awesome detective work Cori.....I knew there had to be a conncetion. PATHETIC!

January 11th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Disgusting!

And I agree!! You are an awesome detective!!

Disgusting!

And I agree!! You are an awesome detective!!
January 11th, 2009, 09:43 PM
MommaNator's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Well looky here:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
storytelling.[/b]
It gets better:
Quote:
Prevention (CDC)
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

I still have not watched PP yet. I did watch the Brady Bunch episode you posted (thanks!) and the measles really was no big thing. Now, my mother calls to tell me about this episode of PP and how "fair and balanced" it was and "what a good job" they did portraying the measles. She was born in 1949 and was telling me how terrified everyone was of the measles when she was growing up, and how she or one of her siblings was seriously ill with the measles and she remembers people dying. I don't know... I think she was confused with polio -- 2 of her brothers got polio. One was in the iron lung for a long time and the other had 17 surgeries as a result of polio! So I think she may be remembering polio and not measles. My mother will not be a supporter of my vaccine decisions and is always offering the other side.

Thanks Julie_aka_Mommy!

January 13th, 2009, 11:31 AM
My mom is not either...so I know what your going thru!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search