given ruebella vax (me)

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 14th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Veteran
I was given a vax after I had my son. They said that my titers showed no immunity to ruebella. I didnt know any better. When they give this vax to women who just gave birth, do they give it as the MMR or just the R? I felt so bad for a week. Dizzy, muscle aches, hot and cold, headachey, nauseated. I cant imagine being a baby and getting 6 of these shots. Also, how would my getting this shot affect a newborn bf baby? I couldve sworn I read somewhere (after the fact) that a bfing mother shouldnt be given this shot?
January 14th, 2009, 01:17 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
I was given a vax after I had my son. They said that my titers showed no immunity to ruebella. I didnt know any better. When they give this vax to women who just gave birth, do they give it as the MMR or just the R? I felt so bad for a week. Dizzy, muscle aches, hot and cold, headachey, nauseated. I cant imagine being a baby and getting 6 of these shots. Also, how would my getting this shot affect a newborn bf baby? I couldve sworn I read somewhere (after the fact) that a bfing mother shouldnt be given this shot?[/b]
I've read that too about the bfing.. I'm sorry you were suckered into that shot. They want to give to me too for the exact same reason. It's just proof that MMR should be given seperately since all of us fully vaxed mama's have no immunity despite being up to date. Here it's the comb shot.
January 14th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Super Mommy
Here's the crazy thing - as part of my prenatal labs, I was tested for rubella immunity, because the danger is if you get rubella WHILE YOU'RE PREGNANT. The danger is TO THE BABY, not to you!

Here's a quote from wikipedia:

<<Congenital rubella syndrome (CRS) can occur in a developing fetus of a pregnant woman who has contracted rubella during her first trimester. If infection occurs 0-28 days before conception, there is a 43% chance the infant will be affected. If the infection occurs 0-12 weeks after conception, there is a 51% chance the infant will be affected. If the infection occurs 13-26 weeks after conception there is a 23% chance the infant will be affected. Infants are not generally affected if rubella is contracted during the third trimester, or 26-40 weeks after conception. Problems rarely occur when rubella is contracted by the mother after 20 weeks of gestation.>>

So there isn't any point to getting a rubella shot AFTER you have the baby!!!!

What possessed them to force this on you, when there was no apparent benefit?!?

January 14th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Veteran
They said it was in case I got pregnant in the future.....I wouldnt get it and pass it to the fetus? I didnt know about vaccines then and was still dazed from just giving birth and not sleeping in 2 days.
January 14th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Tofu Bacon
Here's the MMR package insert:
http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circul...i/mmr_ii_pi.pdf
Nursing Mothers
It is not known whether measles or mumps vaccine virus is secreted in human milk. Recent studies
have shown that lactating postpartum women immunized with live attenuated rubella vaccine may secrete
the virus in breast milk and transmit it to breast-fed infants.49 In the infants with serological evidence of
rubella infection, none exhibited severe disease; however, one exhibited mild clinical illness typical of
acquired rubella.50,51 Caution should be exercised when M-M-R II is administered to a nursing woman.

...which is why they are *supposed* to administer only the rubella vaccine to postpartum women.
January 14th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Jewinjuwa's Avatar We walk by faith
*Not directed towards the OP at all, just me thinking out loud.*

It is so frustrating to me that they do this! And some people say it's not about money. Riiiiiiight.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search