Preschool Policies

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2009, 07:13 AM
mommytutu's Avatar mom to Emma & Jacqueline
So we toured a preschool yesterday (We decided against it from the moment we got there because the out door play area was horrible - I'm talking dirty and broken toys! How horrible!) and they gave us a booklet with the school's policies in it.

This is number 12, on vaccinations (bolding is mine.)

"Parents will be notified by the Department of Children and Families (DCF) if your child needs a current physical or any of the series of imunizations. As these are required by the State of Florida Laws, none of us have any choice in the matter. If the records are not accurately kept fines beginning at $100 per person may be imposed on the school. For the health and safety of all our children, let's remember to complete them when due.

If by some change, the timetables set by DCF cannot be met; DCF will provide a final date for completion. If the records are not complete by the final date your child will not be permitted to return to school until the medical request has been met. Please understand that these rules are Florida Statutes and [name omitted] Preschool is required to follow them."

I am really considering writing a letter to let them know they should reword the policy because that statement is false, and incredibly harsh.

What do you think?

January 16th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just read an article about schools in Ontario (Canada, where vaccinations are not mandatory, but Ontario chooses to make them mandatory for schools) and this article said that they will send students home if they are not up to date with vaccines, so you have the impression that you HAVE to be vaccinated to go to school in Ontario, well at the end of the article was one small sentence saying something like there are 2 percent of students that are not vaccinated and these need to file exemptions. While reading that whole article I had impression that they wont let any unvaccinated kid to attend school, but it is just not so.

I dont think they would reword it.

January 16th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Tofu Bacon
Pretty much every school will say the same thing in their "official" policy, and fail to mention the exemptions. Don't sweat it, just submit the exemption in place of a vax record; the health department requires them to have either a vax record OR an exemption. The same thing was in ds' packet from school and I wasn't given any problems... in fact, the school nurse actually offered to send me sample exemption letters
January 16th, 2009, 01:45 PM
mystimay's Avatar Queen LaClotha
Send a message via Yahoo to mystimay
Kaytie ... here with my kids in a charter school, they still asked for Madi's shot records and I said oh, they're not complete, and in the paper work is a letter .. kinda .. threatening, but.. like a PP said, there is the note at the end that states that a letter must be on file that the parent knows the risk to their child from illnesses they could contract due to LACK of immunization. The anti vax, or selective vax community here in Cali is growing, and the schools now know there isn't a whole lot they can do but try to threaten compliance, but .. it gets them no where

January 17th, 2009, 05:47 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
I just find these bully tactics dreadful. It's no wonder so many parents believe they must vaccinate.
January 17th, 2009, 03:42 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow...I agree with PP
January 18th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Super Mommy
I think the language used in these things is deliberately deceptive. What the fine and compliance are referring to is the RECORDS. The school has to keep accurate records of the vax status of all its kids. It doesn't mean every kid has to be vaxed, it means that the school has to know whether or not every kid is vaxed.

So they are really sneaky when they put it in a way that makes you think they'll fine you $100 for not vaxing your kid, but they are actually referring to the fact that they themselves will be fined if you don't provide them with shot records or an exemption (too bad they don't mention the exemption!).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search