Need advise and support

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2009, 01:34 PM
mystimay's Avatar Queen LaClotha
Send a message via Yahoo to mystimay
First off hi J
I am an active member of the c/d and Dec pr here. I just realllly need some guidance. LOL
First background, dd (7) was fully vaxed b/c I was young, and didn't question what the docs thought were right for my child. Son (4), was vaxed till he started displaying some HARD CORE reactions to the Dtap. The ped at the time, attempted to have a waiver from the CDC, they told her, since Quinny had not been hospitalized, or perished from his reaction that they just considered it 'adverse'. He was screaming for days, high fever, and a knot under his skin, where he recieved that shot for months after. He was dx with Asthma at 6 mo. But ... I stopped the Dtap (after his third dose as his reaction only got worse, and we realized that was the cause), and now at 4 shows no signs of Asthma (mind you he needed the nebulizers daily, and his emergency frequently!!).

Anyhoo. since that connection was made when my son was .. 2 ish, no more vax's have entered my children. I started to (late I know) question what the docs thought was right for MY children.

Here I am ... holding my 6 week old knowing that I want to delay and selectively vaccinate him. I looked at the recommended vax's and have decided that if it is a 'real' threat imo, something I know people have had, that can be deadly or very dangerous, we would delay vax those.

Anyhoo (I am writing at length, sorry). I am considering allowing my son to have the oral rotoviris vax (has to be taken at 2 mo .. boo), and the penumecoccil (sp lol), at 6 month, as well as his second rotovirus. Then stop there LOL

My questions .. what do you know about the Rotoviris vax.
what is the story with the Hib ? Is it TRULY a threat.. what the heck am I protecting my child from, and is it a worthwhile vax.

I will obviously opt out of Dtap, and Varicella (my son got chicken pox anyways ... depsite his vax). Most likly the MMR as well.
I should add, I homeschool, I have signed a waiver with thier charter school about their lack of up to date vax's so I am aware of the ... red tape crap LOL

I really just need advise from you all and guidance. TIA ..

January 16th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Tofu Bacon
Welcome!

Okay, here's the deal with the rotavirus vaccines:

RotaTeq is a live, oral vaccine that protects against 4 of the 6 known genotypes. It is given in 3 doses at 2, 4 and 6 months; the final dose cannot be given past 8 months. Protection lasts about 2 years.

Rotarix is a live, oral vaccine that protects against 3 of the 6 known genotypes. It is given in 2 doses at 6 weeks and anytime thereafter until 6 months. Protection lasts about 2 years.

Here is why I declined them (just for clarification purposes, I am not "anti-vax", I just haven't yet come across a vaccine that is worth the risk):

1. Both are too new. RotaTeq was licenced in 2007, Rotarix was just licenced this past October. After the problems with the first rotavirus vaccine (RotaShield) I just wouldn't feel comfortable with such new vaccines.

2. Shedding. Both vaccines cause baby to shed live rotavirus in their stool for up to two weeks. As rotavirus is very contagious, if you do opt for this vaccine, be extra vigilant about handwashing during the shedding period.

3. Side effects. The most common side effects (occuring about 25% of the time) are fever, diarrhea and vomitting, which are coincidentally the common symptoms of rotavirus. Why risks side effects that are exactly what you are trying to prevent?

4. Clinical trials. Neither vaccine was safety tested against a true placebo; they were both tested against another rotavirus vaccine. I can see this being done for an efficacy trial, but not for a safety trial, kwim?

5. Questionable efficacy. There was a big press release a couple of months ago regarding RotaTeq and how it reduced hositalization from rotavirus by 100%... but at close glance there are two issues (well, 3 issues if you count the nonsensical notion that not one single baby was hospitalized for rotavirus during this time period): (a) rotavirus is not a notifiable disease, meaning doctors are not required to report rotavirus infections to the CDC (b.) the press release stated plain as day that lab cultures were not obtained... so how does one rule out rotavirus as a cause of gastroenteritis without even checking if rotavirus is the cause, when there are other viruses that cause gastroenteritis?

Now, let that marinade and weigh it against the reality that every child in America has rotavirus at least once by the time they are 5 years old; the first bout is usually the most severe, then subsequent infections are usually very mild. Rotavirus is generally treatable at home by keeping the little one hydrated, but it is a realistic possibility that they could need to trip to the hospital for some IV fluids. Going by the CDC's numbers (courtesy of the CDC's Pink Book):

2.7 million cases per year (pre-vaccine)
400,000 doctor's office visits
200,000 ER visits
55,000-70,000 hospitalizations
20-60 deaths

So you have a 14.8% chance of needing to visit the doctor because of rotavirus, a 7.4% chance of visiting the ER, a 2.5% chance of hospitatlization, and a 0.002% chance of death.
January 16th, 2009, 10:11 PM
YOU are amazing

No thoughts on pne??

Thanks for your work in posting that, really puts into perspective looking at the numbers .. n that 'shedding' thing is horrifying.

January 16th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyInWaiting Send a message via MSN to LadyInWaiting
Heyo Mysti! Coming around my neck of the woods aye? The reason I don't vax is also the DTaP

January 17th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Hey Sarah .. I gotta get your story in detail. The Dtap scares the CRAP out of me, not just in my own experience but hearing the stories too! I did research after Quinny had issues, and my GAWD the numbers of 'adverse' reactions in insane! I won't let that stuff touch my kids. IF the government allows THAT vax on the market ... what about the others.

January 17th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Tofu Bacon
^^I agree. The reactive nature of the DTP vaccine was flat-out denied for decades, until the DTaP replaced it. Now we know that the main problem was that there were waaaay too many pertussis antigens in the vaccine, but parents were being told along that the vaccine was "safe".

Quote:
No thoughts on pne??[/b]
Start here; its a 3-part report that covers both the HiB and pneumooccal conjugate 7 vaccines. They are both very effective vaccines, but the link will discuss the downside to them. That's the hard part: every vaccine has its pros, but only you can decide if it outweighs the cons for your kids.
January 17th, 2009, 10:21 AM
TY!!!

January 17th, 2009, 12:12 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
to the area! I'm sorry to hear about your son dealing with these vaccine reactions and I wish you lots of luck in making the decision to vaccinate or not. I also suggest you posting your story in our subforum about bad vaccine experiences.

Look forward to getting to know you better.

Cheers,

Michelle
January 18th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Tribeca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome!!

Cori is the woman!! She has summed it up nicely as always. Just want to welcome you and add that my 8.5 month old is unvaxed and I have not found any vax that I feel the benefits outweigh the risks.

"An error can never become true however many times you repeat it. The truth can never be wrong, even if no one ever hears about it." Mahatma Gandhi
"Doctors put drugs of which they know little, into bodies of which they know less, for diseases of which they know nothing at all.” Voltaire
"A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search