Advice needded

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Veteran
Hello,
My husband and I are not vaxing our son. He's 6 weeks old now I have done my research and I think its best if we dont vax. Now heres where I need advice. If we take our son to Disney World when hes a year old do we have anything to worry about?? I mean theres sooo many ppl there from all over the world. Is this somthing I should not worry about? Is it the same as say taking him to the mall?? I dont know, I have had ppl tell me I'm stupid for not vaxing but I see risk if I do vax I dont see as much risk if we dont ya know? Its just I have had ppl tell me he can catch things when hes out that can make him sick and die! Its like when I ask them what do you think hes gonna get they dont have an answer but it just makes me worry. Am I starting to worry for nothing?? Please share your experiences.

thanks
January 16th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Tofu Bacon
Welcome! I can tell you right now that by the time you get through that first year with an unvaxed child, you will worry a lot less! He'll have had all that time to develop a strong immune system to help him withstand disease, and really, he's going to be around different people everywhere he goes and any one of them (whether they're from India or Indiana) could be incubating an infection. The best thing you can do is help boost his immune system with nutritious foods (if you're breastfeeding, you are "immunizing" him right now!) and lots of handwashing, especially when you've been out and about. Is it a guaruntee that he won't catch a disease? No, but neither is vaccinating; anecdotally, my son has had whooping cough and rubella, despite being vaxed for both. Always remember that vaccines don't make you immune to diseases, they can only make you less susceptable.
January 16th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Veteran
THANK YOU! You make me feel better. I can not BF do to some medical problems. ( I have PCOS ). I love hearing ppls opinion on this subject.
January 17th, 2009, 07:28 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Hello,
My husband and I are not vaxing our son. He's 6 weeks old now I have done my research and I think its best if we dont vax. Now heres where I need advice. If we take our son to Disney World when hes a year old do we have anything to worry about?? I mean theres sooo many ppl there from all over the world. Is this somthing I should not worry about? Is it the same as say taking him to the mall?? I dont know, I have had ppl tell me I'm stupid for not vaxing but I see risk if I do vax I dont see as much risk if we dont ya know? Its just I have had ppl tell me he can catch things when hes out that can make him sick and die! Its like when I ask them what do you think hes gonna get they dont have an answer but it just makes me worry. Am I starting to worry for nothing?? Please share your experiences.

thanks[/b]
to choosing not to vaccinate. Congratulations on your DS.

The funny thing about vaccinations is that people assume vaccines work. The truth is, they are false hope. People who use death at Disneyland as a scare tactic are misinformed about vaccines, the immune system and are plain mean to be coming down a mother like that. Having books on how to keep my little girl healthy and a few books about vax-free living that have helped boost my confidence. I learned so much about homeopaths that I do feel I have the tools to survive not vaccinating my little one. The truth is at 6 weeks PP I was so upset at this whole choice and subject that comments like that would really bring me down too. Everywhere I went, from family to doctors, I didn't receive any support and was constantly being given misinformation which sounds like what you're experiencing too. I stressed for months whether not vaccinating was the right choice and the naysayers would just add to that motherly guilt. I have more peace about it now. When my dd turned 6 months and then one year, I did secretly think my choice didn't kill my daughter and that is the worst time to get these diseases. I know that fully vaccinated kids and infants still get these diseases and the diseases aren't the death sentence that EVERYONE else seems to think they are. Being pp is a big factor on how I felt about this because I think physically, emotionally and hormonally us moms are going through so many extreme feelings. Having these people constantly picking at it made me feel awful and unconfident about choosing not to vaccinate. I'm hoping, in time, you'll feel you've made the right decision too.

Please feel free to chat more about it too.

Cheers,

Michelle

January 17th, 2009, 02:30 PM
~Annissa~'s Avatar I love my kids!
Quote:
THANK YOU! You make me feel better. I can not BF do to some medical problems. ( I have PCOS ). I love hearing ppls opinion on this subject.[/b]
Welcome! The ladies here are very very knowledgeable and have helped me tons with my decision. I hope they can help you the same way.

I just wanted to add that I have successfully and exclusively breastfed my almost 8 month old since birth and have PCOS. Did your Dr tell you that you wouldn't be able to? Just curious.

January 17th, 2009, 05:20 PM
mystimay's Avatar Queen LaClotha
Send a message via Yahoo to mystimay
Me too I am curious why you cant nurse with pcos, I have three kids all nursed with PCOS, 18 mo, 17 months, the baby 6 weeks That totals over 3 tears of bfing with PCOS Is there a medicinal reason perhaps?

January 17th, 2009, 05:25 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome!! It is common to fear, and honestly, you can freak yourself out, I have done it. I have almost vax'd my baby with the dTap and now I am glad I didnt, but I was only doing it out of FEAR. My baby is now 11 months old, and I feel SO secure in my choice. When I question myself, I will look at all the reasons NOT to vax and I always feel better!!
January 17th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Jewinjuwa's Avatar We walk by faith
Wow, there is nothing I can add to Cori & Michelle's great advice, so I'll just say and I love your siggy.
January 18th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Super Mommy
Support from another non-vaxing mom.

My DD is 2.5 now, with no big illnesses, no complications, no ear infections, athsma, allergies, autism, etc. She is quite healthy and active, and I didn't even worry when we went to New York City over Christmas!

People have very little idea about how diseases work, so they're easily scared. Is your one-year-old going to be eating off strangers' plates? Licking the pavement? Sucking on the handlebars of the rides? Digging through the garbage? My guess is a big fat no! So as long as you wash your hands, practice good general hygiene, and don't let your kid eat someone else's dirty tissues, the chances of a major or serious infection of ANY kind is EXTREMELY LIMITED.

Don't forget, most of the people at disney world are adults, and they haven't had MMR and DTaP boosters since they were 5! Those things wear off, you know! And yet, where are the hordes of 30-somethings with whooping cough and diphtheria and mumps?

I worried when DD was little too, especially when she was just born. But I always carried her in a sling or a wrap, kept her very close to me when she was a teeny baby, and breastfed on demand. Those few things made me feel a lot more confident, and I got over my fears. Now i won't be vaxing my next baby (due in about 6 weeks!) and will be a lot less nervous.
January 18th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Tribeca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome!

I have nothing substantial to add. My 8.5 month old son is unvaxed and pretty healthy. Just a few colds/coughs. Id go to DW and have fun!!

"An error can never become true however many times you repeat it. The truth can never be wrong, even if no one ever hears about it." Mahatma Gandhi
"Doctors put drugs of which they know little, into bodies of which they know less, for diseases of which they know nothing at all.” Voltaire
"A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
January 18th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Veteran
Thanks you again for the feedback! As for the bf, my milk came in good after he was born. When he was 4 days old I got an infection in the c section incision while still in the hospital. I kept telling the dr's there was somthing wrong with me (they thought I was nuts). Well it ended up pretty bad ans I ended up having emergency surgery when DS was 11 days old to clean out the infection. Due to the meds and infection I had to pump and dump. Well after the surgery I hurt SOOO bad it made it very hard to sit up and pump, I was pumping about every 6-8 hours and my milk just was not coming in I pumped and pumped and pumped and nothing I was and kinda still am upset about cause I realy wanted to BF. My docs says that it could be from the PCOS or from the infection or the meds I was on or a combo of all 3 as to the reason why my milk didnt come in and "stayed in".
January 19th, 2009, 07:07 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Thanks you again for the feedback! As for the bf, my milk came in good after he was born. When he was 4 days old I got an infection in the c section incision while still in the hospital. I kept telling the dr's there was somthing wrong with me (they thought I was nuts). Well it ended up pretty bad ans I ended up having emergency surgery when DS was 11 days old to clean out the infection. Due to the meds and infection I had to pump and dump. Well after the surgery I hurt SOOO bad it made it very hard to sit up and pump, I was pumping about every 6-8 hours and my milk just was not coming in I pumped and pumped and pumped and nothing I was and kinda still am upset about cause I realy wanted to BF. My docs says that it could be from the PCOS or from the infection or the meds I was on or a combo of all 3 as to the reason why my milk didnt come in and "stayed in".[/b]

I'm so sorry to hear your doctor did all of this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search