CP vax shedding

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2009, 04:38 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I babysit my nephew, who is currently 8 1/2 months old, every Friday. In a few more months he'll be getting his cp vaccine, and I need to know how long of a period I should stop watching him (if at all) because of the shedding virus. I really prefer to not have my child, who will still be under a year, get chicken pox because of him getting a vaccine that sheds.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
January 19th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Tofu Bacon
Short answer: we really don't because it hasn't been studied (should we surpised?), but here's what the package insert says:

http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circul.../varivax_pi.pdf
Transmission
Post-marketing experience suggests that transmission of vaccine virus may occur rarely between
healthy vaccinees who develop a varicella-like rash and healthy susceptible contacts. Transmission of
vaccine virus from vaccinees without a varicella-like rash has been reported but has not been confirmed.
Therefore, vaccine recipients should attempt to avoid, whenever possible, close association with
susceptible high-risk individuals for up to six weeks
. In circumstances where contact with high-risk
individuals is unavoidable, the potential risk of transmission of vaccine virus should be weighed against the
risk of acquiring and transmitting natural varicella virus. Susceptible high-risk individuals include:
• immunocompromised individuals
• pregnant women without documented history of chickenpox or laboratory evidence of prior
infection
• newborn infants of mothers without documented history of chickenpox or laboratory evidence of
prior infection.

I wonder how many doctors bother to mention this to their patients?
January 19th, 2009, 08:48 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
I wonder how many doctors bother to mention this to their patients?[/b]
The same amount that screen for egg alleriges prior to recommending a flu vax? Oh right.. none do and yet vaccine-damage isn't real in their eyes.

It baffles me daily how people can trust their doctors.

Quote:
I babysit my nephew, who is currently 8 1/2 months old, every Friday. In a few more months he'll be getting his cp vaccine, and I need to know how long of a period I should stop watching him (if at all) because of the shedding virus. I really prefer to not have my child, who will still be under a year, get chicken pox because of him getting a vaccine that sheds.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated [/b]
Hon I know it sucks.. Honestly, just washing your hands after diaper changes is your best bet at not transmitting it. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Cheers,

Michelle
January 19th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Tribeca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

Just out of curiosity would your nephew's mom understand if you told her you couldn't watch him for 6 weeks because he would be shedding a live virus and you dont want to expose your baby??? Maybe she would reconsider getting it at all in that case?? One can hope!

"An error can never become true however many times you repeat it. The truth can never be wrong, even if no one ever hears about it." Mahatma Gandhi
"Doctors put drugs of which they know little, into bodies of which they know less, for diseases of which they know nothing at all.” Voltaire
"A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
January 19th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Jewinjuwa's Avatar We walk by faith
I don't know, but I'm fearful of this too. One my kids had her boosters for MMR and varicella on Friday and I am terrified of her coming back.
January 19th, 2009, 09:52 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:

Just out of curiosity would your nephew's mom understand if you told her you couldn't watch him for 6 weeks because he would be shedding a live virus and you dont want to expose your baby??? Maybe she would reconsider getting it at all in that case?? One can hope!
[/b]
My sister would understand, as she's already iffy on this vaccine... but I'm sure she'll give him the vaccine anyway. But, me not watching him for 6 weeks would put her in a really, really bad spot as I'm the only babysitter for her child on that day.

Quote:
Quote:
I wonder how many doctors bother to mention this to their patients?[/b]
The same amount that screen for egg alleriges prior to recommending a flu vax? Oh right.. none do and yet vaccine-damage isn't real in their eyes.

Quote:

Hon I know it sucks.. Honestly, just washing your hands after diaper changes is your best bet at not transmitting it. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Cheers,

Michelle

[/b]
to the bolded: Thanks for this, I always wash my hands... but I'll be extra carefully to make sure I do every single time.

If we were talking 1 or 2 weeks, it would be one thing, but I really can't not watch him for 6 weeks. I mean, I'd like to not watch him for 6 weeks... but I can not put my sister in that position. Then again, I don't want my child getting cp at 11 months old.
January 19th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Tribeca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
My sister would understand, as she's already iffy on this vaccine... but I'm sure she'll give him the vaccine anyway. But, me not watching him for 6 weeks would put her in a really, really bad spot as I'm the only babysitter for her child on that day.

Quote:
<div class='quotemain'>I wonder how many doctors bother to mention this to their patients?[/b]

Quote:

Cheers,

Michelle

[/b]
to the bolded: Thanks for this, I always wash my hands... but I'll be extra carefully to make sure I do every single time.

If we were talking 1 or 2 weeks, it would be one thing, but I really can't not watch him for 6 weeks. I mean, I'd like to not watch him for 6 weeks... but I can not put my sister in that position. Then again, I don't want my child getting cp at 11 months old.
[/b][/quote]

You know the chances are slim, but if your LO did get them, Im sure it would be fine (a PITA) but fine and then they's have lifetime immunity. But again, the chances are slim....we'll keep our fingers crossed

"An error can never become true however many times you repeat it. The truth can never be wrong, even if no one ever hears about it." Mahatma Gandhi
"Doctors put drugs of which they know little, into bodies of which they know less, for diseases of which they know nothing at all.” Voltaire
"A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search