The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears: Book Discussion

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 17th, 2009, 07:33 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
The Vaccine Book by Dr. Robert Sears

Adding: AskDrSears - Updates for The Vaccine Book

Last edited by (.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.); October 17th, 2009 at 07:43 PM.
June 19th, 2009, 08:29 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Well it's Friday today.. I want to encourage people to know even if you missed the Friday "deadline" then you can still post as you read the book whether it's a week from now, or a year from now.. there is no deadline. I would just like people to add their thoughts if they are reading the book.

I'm going to get started.. The preface and note to Doctor's will be something that needs addressing as well as the first chapter. I'm excited to get started!
June 19th, 2009, 08:43 AM
mama2noah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i have read this before awhile ago...i will refresh and try to post!

June 19th, 2009, 06:18 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
The Preface
~~~~~~~~

He states his goal is to give a balanced look at the pros and cons of vaccinating. He has a detailed list of what he won't discuss in the book that includes the mercury/thimerosal debate, the evolution of vaccines in relation to the diseases, conspiracy theories about the "overemphasizes" of fatal effects of vaccines and states "This is not an anti-vaccine book."

The next section is about the lack of freedom many of the states have with vaccines. (Maybe he'll go into more detail about exemptions later, but he left the impression that vaccines are mandatory as he goes into detail about state requirements.)

(Will add more later)
June 20th, 2009, 08:59 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's been a while since I read, so I'll have to go back and read the first chapter again - I'll do that ASAP and be back!
June 21st, 2009, 07:36 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I need to get my hands on this book and read it with you!
June 22nd, 2009, 04:39 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Well, I'm trying to summarize what I'm reading before I give my opinion on it. (I can't believe what he's disregarding here. No wonder people think it's balanced ~ he isn't giving them information! So far I would say it's incredibly pro-vaccine. If this is just after reading the preface, the doctor's note and chapter one.. I'm pretty sure it's going down hill from there.)

I'm battling a bug at the house here so I'll come back to this, just slowly, as I get time. If anyone else wants to comment about the preface, by all means, jump in!
June 23rd, 2009, 09:36 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Adding: AskDrSears - Updates for The Vaccine Book

Last edited by (.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.); October 17th, 2009 at 07:42 PM.
June 30th, 2009, 06:35 PM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
Bahh I'm behind! I will refresh this later this evening if I get time, I'm behind on another book I'm reading too.

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com
July 26th, 2009, 05:01 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I read this book and thought it was a good read. He is overall provaccine but he also provides a lot of data on the occurrences of each disease and the fatalities of each disease and the likelihood of your child getting them, which for almost all, was pretty much close to zero. He emphasizes breastfeeding for 2 years, especially if you are not going to vaccinate. I came away from the book thinking that skipping most vaccines was ok. I also liked his idea about the chicken pox vaccine, where you would skip the vaccine and when the child was 10 years or so, get the blood work done to determine if they had been exposed to it (if they did not have chicken pox). If they were not exposed to it, consider the vaccine. I never planned on doing this vaccine as it is out of convenience and no other reason, HOWEVER, the pediatrician did bring to my attention that it is "required" at all the local schools and it may be extremely difficult for my DD to ever get exposed to it, and I do know that adult chicken pox can be extremely harmful. I also liked that he discussed each manufacturing process for each vaccine and the ingredients. I had NO IDEA about all the animal products in vaccines, ick.

btw, this is not Dr Sears, but his son Dr Sears

July 26th, 2009, 08:28 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Glad to have you join the dicsussion!
October 17th, 2009, 07:44 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Bumping for anyone new wishing to add their review!
October 17th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have read this book...and I'm the BAD BAD person at the library that keeps forgetting to return a HUGE stack of books that I'm too embarrassed to tell you what month they were due back in! LMBO...

Anyway...I thought the book was informative enough that I liked it. I liked reading the facts about the diseases and the vaccines ingredients and the different BRANDS of the vaccines and how their ingredients and the process in which they are made differ.

I do agree that he seems provaccine though by a different schedule though. But it was the stepping stone for me. I read this book a long while back...and it is what initially caused me to want to delay vax's and that desire has bloomed into NOT vaxing...so it is a good introduction into the why's of not vaxing...for those wondering more about it...I think

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
October 18th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Chea.Mo's Avatar The Exception
I havnt read this book, but I am going to try to go pick up a couple of books today, so I will put this on my list!
<3
The future has some big shoes for you to fill,
though you may not remember these moments;
Mommy always will
October 18th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Jlynn's Avatar Jamielynn
I have met him twice. He is amazing. I have read the book a few times and l love it. I know it is on the pro vax side but the facts are there. After reading it I felt much better about not vaccinating. It was nice to see how common all the diseases aren't.
IUI #1 = BFP but ended in the loss of our boy Carter
12 failed IUIs followed
After TTC baby #2 for 3 years....
We are happily ADOPTING our rainbow baby.
Read my story here it is part of a campaign I was asked to Join...
October 21st, 2009, 06:35 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I found it a little too conservative for my taste, but my husband read it and he decided that Cadie really didn't need anything at this point (he read it recently so we could make some final decisions) other than tetanus after she turns 2.
May 6th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Firstbaby4me's Avatar ErinCoopersMom
I also felt like even though it seems pro vaccine it helped me feel better about my decision to not vaccinate. I like knowing all the side affects so I know what to watch for. My MIL is crazy about pretching to us to get him vaccinated. I am going to pass the book onto her in hopes that it opens her eye a little. In the end it's our decision anyway but educating can't hurt.

Thank you for my beautiful siggie made by Jaidynsmum!!
May 6th, 2010, 12:25 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstbaby4me View Post
I also felt like even though it seems pro vaccine it helped me feel better about my decision to not vaccinate. I like knowing all the side affects so I know what to watch for. My MIL is crazy about pretching to us to get him vaccinated. I am going to pass the book onto her in hopes that it opens her eye a little. In the end it's our decision anyway but educating can't hurt.
Great response!

I bet you would like this article by Dr. Sears today too!

Dr. Bob Sears on HuffPo: What To Do About All Those Non-Vaccinating Parents - AGE OF AUTISM

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search