Eczema from vaccines?

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 5th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Snowpeas

Last edited by Snowpeas; March 29th, 2010 at 05:25 PM.
February 6th, 2010, 08:48 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Part of the reason we didn't vaccinate is because there are links to eczema from vaccines. My family and dh has skin issues so it was a huge factor. Of course I'm going on holidays tomorrow. I'm sorry I don't have anything off hand to show you but I'm sure you'll find the links in more of your own research. You're more than welcome to start a thread here with what you've found.

Cheers!
February 6th, 2010, 09:02 AM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My doctor said the same thing about my daughter's asthma and eczema, but the truth is that they really don't know. In my experience, you can arm yourself with all kinds of things to show your doctor, but they are always going to think they know more than you do and push the vaccines. I just talk about it with my doctor anymore unless it is directly addressed. He looked at me like I was crazy when I suggested that my daughter's asthma and eczema was brought on by her vaccinations. I did lots of reading at the time, but I don't have anything offhand to show you either. My advice would be to go with your gut. No one knows your child like you do.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

February 6th, 2010, 11:26 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
i am sorry your LO had a reaction. I would trust your gut and just tell your doctor you want to hold off for the moment. you can also google vaccines and autoimmune since a lot of skin stuff is thought to be autoimmunological in nature.

February 6th, 2010, 07:43 PM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
I don't know if there is a link or not, but I will say that if it doesn't clear up or keeps coming back, please ask for it to be checked closer. I don't take excema or rashes lightly in babies.
February 7th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Without siting a whale.to article or other "fringe science" websites (as commonly rebutted by most pro-vaxers) I will post this study that DOES find a link but explains it away - you can decide for yourself what to take from this

Vaccination and Allergic Disease: A Birth Cohort Study

Then there's this one:

ScienceDirect - Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology : The relationship between vaccine refusal and self-report of atopic disease in children

Hope your little guy feels better ASAP!

February 7th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I started to look into vaxs because after my DD recieved each set of vax, her exzema would flare up. She never had any exzema until a few days after her first set of shots. I decided to stop temporarily to see if the exzema went away and it did! I have continued my research and decided that vax was not for us. Good Luck! Alot of people told me that they would rather have exzema than a vaccine preventable disease, but my DD would scratch until it was almost impetigo. I don't think that is very good either. Good luck and let us know. You can stop and see if it goes away and then catch back up with shots if you like, that's one option.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

February 8th, 2010, 11:06 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well it's hard. I can tell you that I have yet to see a mainstream Dr that is willing to say that anything is a vaccine reaction - as they like to say everything is coincidence. There is a vaccine rate of nearly 95% in this country - so although Dr's like to say it's coincidence & that most of these things are "prone" to showing up at these ages, the fact is that virtually all the babies they see are likely vaxed & most right on schedule - so how can they know what is typical in an unvaxed baby vs a vaxed baby - KWIM? We have no control group study to really show this - because despite what everyone would make it out to be - those of us that don't vax are still on the fringe really & most seem to be like me - where we quit vaxing rather than having a child that is fully vax free which also can skew studies. I know someone who has recently revealed (her kids are pretty much grown ) that she had a 10 month old daughter that died of SIDS within 24 hrs of receiving vaxes & she had previously thought her daughter had a vax reaction, was blown off about it repeatedly & then after the last set, died in her sleep...and even then no one would look into it as a possibility of being related to the vaxes she had gotten THAT day. Even VAERS Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System The Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System says they expect the reports to be only about 10% of the actual reactions. Many dont' even know they can report the reactions themselves since it seems unlikely (from everyone I have ever spoken to & every story I have ever read) that your Dr is likely to ever say your child is having a vaccine reaction & report it themselves.

At the end of the day I think Stacey is right - most Dr's could care less what info & research you bring to them as they think of themselves as the expert & you as a paranoid, over-reactive, uneducated parent....even Dr's you *think* you like - since you cannot possibly know how much you like someone until you actually butt heads & have to see how much they really respect you when you DON'T agree with them & whether you feel listened to & heard or dismissed. It's funny - this issue has caused me to dislike Dr's I thought I really liked & to fond more respect for Dr's I wasn't sure I was crazy about - LOL - based on how I was treated & whether I was given real respect & an intelligent response & discussion or whether i was basically told I have no clue what I am talking about & am a bad parent. GL! I hope you find an answer & a Dr that works for you!

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

February 9th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Snowpeas
Thanks for all the information!

Josiah saw the doctor again yesterday (this time for his well baby visit) and he actually admitted he thinks his eczema is related to the vaccinations he had. It's now almost gone and I have my happy baby back. But the doctor still feels he should have all his vaccinations. I asked if he thought he would get eczema again next time and he said he did, but that it wouldn't be any worse.

First, of all my so-happy-you-never-hear-him-cry baby screamed for almost two weeks straight. Not something I want him or I to go through again.

Second, everything I can find online of those who had babies that developed eczema after their shots, had it get WORSE every time.

The eczema itself is troubling but what really bothers me is I think it's a symptom of how his body is reacting to one of the vaccinations. I worry what it would do to his immune system, and if it would trigger the development of the severe allergies that run in my family anyway.

I talked to dh about it. He's much more mainstream usually but he trusts my judgement and is willing to delay the vaccinations for now. We get the actual vaccinations at the health department and not the doctor's office so it's a little easier to avoid them, but I will still have to talk to his doctor about it eventually.

Like I said, dd received all her vaccinations on time so this is a new experience for me. But my mommy instinct is blaring alarms all over the place and I trust that more than I trust some doctors. lol Thanks for all your input!
February 15th, 2010, 09:57 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi, my boys have had mild excema off and on from about 2 months of age. (Coinincidentally age of 1st vaccines) However Ians has worsened since his last vaccinations. He will not be vaccinated again due to serious reactions, but more and more I am thinking autoimmune illnesses are in many cases caused or worsened by vaccines.
I came across several studies awhile back linking over vaccination of dogs and auto immune disease, and also have found many linking the large number of dogs now getting skin disease with over vaccination.
Keep in mind that massive numbers of vaccines for dogs are realtively new. When I was a child most dogs in rabies prone countries got the rabies jag, show dogs and those kenneled might be vaccinated for distemper, but parvo didnt even exist yet ( nice story that it was accidentally made in a lab working on vaccine for a cat virus to which it is closely related but no conclusive proof that I know of). Years ago no one heard of most autoimmune diseases in dogs, now they are common and skin disease epidemic.
Now we were just talking about the dogs with very little care living the longest, the ones that live on scraps or the cheapest possible kibble,, sleep out in the damp, never see a vet, either run the streets or live confined to a garden or pen. Why do they live to be 18 while well loved and cared for pets die so much younger.
Why do you usually only see arthritis in these dogs where they have broken bones? They dont get skin disease, kidney failure or diabetes. Its really got me wondering. Something to think about anyway.
February 15th, 2010, 10:31 AM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Olivia+Josiah View Post
Thanks for all the information!

Josiah saw the doctor again yesterday (this time for his well baby visit) and he actually admitted he thinks his eczema is related to the vaccinations he had. It's now almost gone and I have my happy baby back. But the doctor still feels he should have all his vaccinations. I asked if he thought he would get eczema again next time and he said he did, but that it wouldn't be any worse.

First, of all my so-happy-you-never-hear-him-cry baby screamed for almost two weeks straight. Not something I want him or I to go through again.

Second, everything I can find online of those who had babies that developed eczema after their shots, had it get WORSE every time.

The eczema itself is troubling but what really bothers me is I think it's a symptom of how his body is reacting to one of the vaccinations. I worry what it would do to his immune system, and if it would trigger the development of the severe allergies that run in my family anyway.

I talked to dh about it. He's much more mainstream usually but he trusts my judgement and is willing to delay the vaccinations for now. We get the actual vaccinations at the health department and not the doctor's office so it's a little easier to avoid them, but I will still have to talk to his doctor about it eventually.

Like I said, dd received all her vaccinations on time so this is a new experience for me. But my mommy instinct is blaring alarms all over the place and I trust that more than I trust some doctors. lol Thanks for all your input!
You know, this has gotten me thinking.....my little two year old niece is apparently allergic to dairy products. She's drank milk and a LOT of it ever since she was a year old. She's always had rashes on her diaper area and around her mouth. The doctors didn't know what it was from and just proscribed an ointment for the rash she would get on her face. Well, my sister suspected the milk and took her off of it. Her rashes started clearing up right away. My sister forgot to tell her dad that she had taken her baby off of the milk and he gave her a sippy cup full. The next day, she had a HORRIBLE rash on her whole face. It's never looked like that before. My sister took her to the pediatrician where they immediately gave her an epi-pen and sent her to the ER to be monitored for several hours. The doctors told HER that if your child has an allergic reaction to something, then each time they are exposed to whatever the trigger was, the reaction will be much worse. Since she had taken my niece off of milk and then reintroduced it to her body, her immune system reacted more violently than it had before. I don't see why this wouldn't be true with vaccines as well.....even more so. You are shooting a substance directly into your child's blood stream, where there are no filters.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

February 18th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
FWIW My ds had eczema as an infant and he had never been vax'd.

February 18th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Tofu Bacon
Oh my, ds would be COVERED with eczema from the neck up until he was about 8 months old; it would get infected in his neck rolls and behind his ears. It didn't click until a few months later, but the eczema completely cleared up a couple of months after we stopped vaxing, and back-tracking his flare-ups, they used to always happen within a day or so of a well-baby visit. Later I learned that some brands of DTaP are made with casein... and interestingly, ds was intolerant to casein. Of course, we don't know whether the casein in the vaccine triggered the eczema, or if he was intolerant to before that, but it definitely lends insight into why his eczema would flare up at those times.
February 20th, 2010, 04:14 PM
~Annissa~'s Avatar I love my kids!
My nephew who is 5 now started his eczema and milk allergies at two months old after his first set of shots. With each series the eczema and his allergies worsened. He would have open oozing sores from the eczema and scratching, it was AWFUL. My sister stopped all vaccines after her 3 year old was diagnosed with Autism and thinking back to the oldest's skin issues after receiving vaccines. He doesn't flare up anywhere NEAR to what he used to. He still has severe allergies, dogs, milk, eggs, and PB and breaks out in hives and itches like crazy, but his skin is MUCH better. I wouldn't wish it on anyone either. And yeah, it'll get worse with each series in my experience, just the same for any reaction to anything.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search