Meningitis (Sp?) Vaccine...

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
What are your thoughts on this vaccination? Given the lethality of the disease and the short amount of time from onset to death what are your opinions. I only ask because my friend just had her 7 year old daughter die of a bacterial form that was caught hours too late. The whole family was tested and her 4 year old has it too. She is thankfully responding well to treatment but the 2 year old keeps asking where Isabell is...the 7 year old. I have been antivax because for the most part the diseases aren't a threat where I live or are not lethal for the most part but this one is definitely lethal. It is treatable but the 4 year old wasn't even showing symptoms yet when they tested her and she still wound up in the PICU for a few days... This is just making me second guess my decision to not vax DS at all...maybe selectively vax instead. The strain that they have isn't routinely vaxed for until 11 years old anyway but this is still really rocking my right now...I don't really know what to do....

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

July 6th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Tofu Bacon
This is a really tough one because it is a very fast-moving infection and the case:fatality rate is up to 40%, depending on the infection. The vaccines cover the 4 meningococcal strains A, C, Y, and W-135, which are most common in adults age 18 to 34. However, the majority of meningococcal infections are in infants under 1 year, and caused by strain B (not included in the vaccine). Menactra is now approved for children as young as 2 years, but they isn't as effective or long-lasting in children under 5, so revaccination is necessary every 3-5 years in children.

I'm sorry, I don't have any advice. Things like this also make me question if I'm doing the right thing...
July 6th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'd like to know what strain of it they have....Because like the PP said...some strains aren't even vaxed for and like you said they wouldn't have been vaxed for it until 12 anyway....so it's not like it was a vaxing or not decision.

I think it's important to look at the vaccines for it themselves...seeing what is in them and what their side effects are and how effective they are....etc....Sometimes you just gotta weigh which "risk" you'd rather take....it's so hard being a parent and choosing what is right....when sometimes there seems to be no perfect solution....

What a sad situation for your friend. I'm sure Michelle will come on here soon and post a link or two She's so good at having several up her sleeve. (I'll bet her bookmark list is crazy long LOL)....Anyway....I hope someone else can provide you with more answers....

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
July 6th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Tofu Bacon
I just remembered, Dr. Stephanie Cave's book, What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations, was just updated and revised; the book probably covers this vaccine now, and her take is generally well-balanced.
July 6th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I really must get that book

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
July 6th, 2010, 01:08 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
This is the only vax I would consider doing. I am so torn on it. DH is dead set against all vaccines. I am so undecided on this one. It is the only vaccinated disease that scares me.

July 6th, 2010, 02:11 PM
~Annissa~'s Avatar I love my kids!
I don't know about this one. This disease definitely does scare me, but it's also pretty rare. I'd have to look at the rate of vaccination vs. the rate of disease, also the whole serotype replacement thing doesn't sit well with me. From what I've read there's a lot of factors that go into a persons susceptibility and ability to fight the disease. I heard that they are only suggesting it for people with compromised immune systems. It's never been suggested to us by a Dr.
I know they are pushing it more now especially for jr. high and high school kids, but I still think that most of the population ISN'T vaccinated for this and it's still rare. Educating parents to the signs/symptoms and having Dr's who don't dismiss it would be a great help too.
How incredibly sad for your friend though, my heart goes out to them!

July 6th, 2010, 10:01 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
~Annissa~ I'm really happy (and surprised) to read your reply. I'm happy to see you have more confidence in this.

Sarah hon, I know it's scary when you KNOW someone it happens too. I'm so sorry for your friends loss. If you get the vaccine, we can give you vaccine safety tips. (Of course, it's with no judgement.) If you don't want to vaccinate, I understand too. To be honest, I hate this disease and wonder why we don't have more effect vaccines for it. I have to make peace with the odds of this one. Whether it's getting hit by car or getting this disease I know we can't control everything. Obviously, you do what you feel you have to. If you find out more, please let us know. When I get some free time, I'll find some links and hopefully we can have an open discussion about it all.

I'm so sorry.
July 7th, 2010, 05:37 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I would love to see some links because I am leaning towards only doing this one Vax.

July 7th, 2010, 07:52 PM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Doesn't breastfeeding provide immunity to this one for a while?? I thought I read that, but I'm new to this non-vaxing stuff, so I'm still trying to get knowledgeable

July 15th, 2010, 07:18 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
I came across this today.. thought you might be interested.
http://www.pediatricsupersite.com/view.aspx?rid=66577
July 22nd, 2010, 02:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Sorry for taking so long to update everyone. The 4 year old is still in the hospital. She is refusing to talk to anyone until Isabelle comes back. She is finally eating again and drinking but all the antibiotics she is on are not kicking the bacteria out. They are controlling it but not getting rid of it by any means. I don't know what strain it is but it is a pretty resistant one. I am still so heartbroken for her family. I don't know what I would do if it were Danny. I am having a hard time separating the fact that it is so rare from the fact that it is soooo lethal...

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

July 25th, 2010, 02:26 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3ai3ydanny View Post
Sorry for taking so long to update everyone. The 4 year old is still in the hospital. She is refusing to talk to anyone until Isabelle comes back. She is finally eating again and drinking but all the antibiotics she is on are not kicking the bacteria out. They are controlling it but not getting rid of it by any means. I don't know what strain it is but it is a pretty resistant one. I am still so heartbroken for her family. I don't know what I would do if it were Danny. I am having a hard time separating the fact that it is so rare from the fact that it is soooo lethal...
I hope you're doing ok hon..
August 1st, 2010, 09:02 AM
MommaNator's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I feel terrible for the family, and hope the 4 year old makes a full recovery.

Thanks Julie_aka_Mommy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search