Hi! Traveling with non-vax baby

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 30th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Hi everyone. I have a 14 week old named Nicholas. We are going to be traveling on a Carribean cruise in Dec. We have pretty much decided to either non-vax or wait until he is 2 and then decide. I was wondering if anyone had any problems traveling with a non-vax baby? He has a ped appt on Friday where he will be exactly 14 weeks 6 days the exact cut-off for the Rotavirus vaccine. The ped has already notified us she wants to give it to him on that day and we told her we'd let her know. On the one hand I don't want to be out in the Carribean and he gets Rota but on the other hand I really don't want to give him the vax. Just wondering if anyone has traveled without it. I'm going to get him a passport in case he needs to fly back home either way. Anyone fly long distances with a non-vax baby? I know I've heard the air filtration in planes is crappy!
August 30th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would SKIP the rota vax definitely...dont let her pressure you in to something you dont want to do...if you DO want to do it...then go for it...but going by what you've posted you dont...dont let fear guide you..just knowledge....You can't take back a vaccine but you can catch up....If you dont want to hear it...reschedule the appt! LOL...

Also....I've never heard of anyone having trouble traveling with a non-vax baby...But I'm not a traveling momma (in other countries anyway)....There are a couple of those here though...so they'll be able to help more.

Are you breastfeeding? That will help protect him from many things while he's so little still....

Hope someone else helps you more soon...HUGs...and how EXCITING!!!!!

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
August 30th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Thank you! Yes I'm BFing. I've been lurking on here since before he was born but now that his appt is on Friday, I got nervous enough to post. I'm not sure with the Rota why they don't want you to get it after 14 weeks 6 days. I guess they see more side effects with older baby's? Yikes...WHO KNOWS
August 30th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Ohh my only other concern about the Rotavirus is Nicholas goes to a newborn gym class at this place called My Gym and the baby's drool all over everything!
August 30th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
OH I meant to say WELCOME, too, sorry....

None of my children have had the rota vax....and my friend's baby DID get it and it was one of the recalled ones...I just dont trust it....

Babies and kids are gonna share slobber...it's inevitable. You are breastfeeding...that will protect him against a lot..and help him fight what it doesn't ward off....If you are too worried about germs you could ask their sanitation process...see if they sanitize daily....and if not...you know he's building up immunity slowly with a once a week exposure....

My daughter is going to be in a daycare for the first time ever on Wednesdays this fall because I'm going to be teaching at a Bible Study program...she's going to be in there from about 8:30am until abut 2pm (With a break in the middle for nursing probably...we'll see)....anyway...I'm nervous about how many germs she'll pick up but I'm comfortable enough that she'll fight off what she gets because she's so healthy...I just can't prevent all sickness...nor do I really want to....but anyway....I'm just rambling sorry!

Thanks so much for popping in...I hope you stick around and ask questions and become comfortable with your decision and chime in on other conversations...

Oh and as I've said in a couple other threads...my plans for this fall/winter is to diffuse cinnamon (via cool diffusion) constantly in our home for germ reduction....said to be 99% effective....

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
August 30th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the cinnamon tip!!! I will definitely look into doing that as well. What do you use to diffuse it, a humidifier? My son gets REALLY bad reflux/gas. I'm not sure why (if it's my letdown or what but my husband did just have GERD surgery so it could be genetic) anyways...rambling...so Walgreens ran out of the brand version of Mylicon drops so I had to get the generic. Instantly after I gave him the drops his eyes turned bright red and started to swell and so did is mouth and area surrounding his mouth. I can't imagine giving him the Rota vax after seeing that! Have you given any vaccines to your kids?
August 30th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My oldest and 4 year old are considered fully vax'd...my son is partially vaxed because I didn't give him boosters...the only one I haven't vax'd at all is my almost 2 year old....I didn't research earlier...regretfully!

do you have a health food store? go and get "Cocyntal" made by boiron. It's FABULOUS for gas and upset tummies....I'll bet it'll help...I've never used mylicon since finding this godsend!

At the healthfood store there should also be diffusers for oils...there are reed diffusers and terra cotta diffusers that would be inexpensive...then there are some other ones that are plug in and the price goes up...you just wanna make sure it's not a heated diffuser for full benefit.

Anyway...COCYNTAL ROCKS...seriously....I give it as gifts at babyshowers now lol

August 30th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks! I will def try. I've used the Camilia by Boiron which works really well!
August 31st, 2010, 02:51 PM
PrgntNBareft's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The rotovirus is only dangerous if you are lax about keeping your child hydrated. Otherwise the virus itself is by far not fun but not dangerous. There's pooping and vomiting but it's not deadly. Just keep your baby filled with fluids and rest and he'll be good to go "if" he does eventually get it. But usually preschool aged kids get it more then babies. And the vaccine has been recalled so many times including having the intestines of the vaccinated children turn in and on itself and die off. That is way scarier then vomiting and liquid butt LOL. JMO though. I hope you guys have a lot of fun on your cruise with no issues and I am so jealous I'd love to do a cruise!
August 31st, 2010, 03:54 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

Well i'm a pretty frequent traveler (been to about 35 countries in the last 7 yrs--we live in hotels and travel for DH's job) And My son (now 13months old) has been in USA, Costa Rica, Brazil, Germany and we are currently in South Africa. He has had no vaxs. We have never had any issue what so ever and it hasn't even come up while traveling.
I give my son some Vit D a couple days before getting on the plane and 2 days once we have landed for a little immunity boost (I do this for me as well, and I still BF). I would say probiotics are the best thing with traveling (for all family members) it helps your gut agree more with the new water and food.
August 31st, 2010, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soImarriedAnerd View Post

Well i'm a pretty frequent traveler (been to about 35 countries in the last 7 yrs--we live in hotels and travel for DH's job) And My son (now 13months old) has been in USA, Costa Rica, Brazil, Germany and we are currently in South Africa. He has had no vaxs. We have never had any issue what so ever and it hasn't even come up while traveling.
I give my son some Vit D a couple days before getting on the plane and 2 days once we have landed for a little immunity boost (I do this for me as well, and I still BF). I would say probiotics are the best thing with traveling (for all family members) it helps your gut agree more with the new water and food.
THANK YOU!! We usually do travel Internationally A LOT so that makes me feel better. I take Dr. Ohhira's probiotics myself but which ones do you reccomend for infants? Thanks in advance
August 31st, 2010, 10:08 PM
MommaNator's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome!

Ditto to soImarriedanerd. We've traveled internationally with DD but not that much! DD is not fully vaccinated and never had the rotavirus vaccine. I agree, the danger with rotavirus is dehydration. As long as your baby continues to drink well he will be fine. However, if you're going on a cruise, you'd be more likely to encounter some other intestinal virus, such as noroviruses, for which there is no vaccine. So the rotavirus vax wouldn't help much. We give DD Baby Jarro-dophilus probiotics and it is wonderful!! It contains a broad spectrum of good strains of bacteria that would typically be found in the gut of a breastfeeding infant.

Thanks Julie_aka_Mommy!

September 1st, 2010, 07:02 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm very lucky to be a patient (the whole family is) of the HomeFirst Dr's in Chicago! They have there own line of stuff and I use it... I have been VERY satisfied with it.
So he gets the Vit D ones on the more active travel days... A Pro-D5 a day keeps the doctors away
and the Probiotics with FOS on regular days... Probiotics with FOS - Natural Supplements - Natural Pharm Store
i think some of the refrigerated ones are better, but we can't use those and these are the best i can find that don't need to be in the fridge... don't think there is a BIG difference in the two though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search