testing the waters

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 22nd, 2010, 12:18 PM
jenerik's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My name is Jennifer. I am 27. Mother of 3 ages 8, 7 and 5 and soon to be mommy of 4, due in November. My older 3 have had all of the vaccines. But this this baby....I am on the fence..BIG TIME! I am having a boy, and one is 96 boys have autism now a days. I want to delay vaccines and possibly eliminate certain ones.

I have called about 25 pediatricians in my area and surrounding. I have been yelled at for my decision, put down and basically feel like I am about 2 inches tall....

The VERY FEW that agree to work with me on MY decision for MY son, they either are not accepting new patients, or not accepting my insurance (state insurance for now until first of the year)

I feel so lost, I am not giving up and caving to the "normal" of vaccinating my son, but I also on the same hand want him to be in the care of a pediatrician for his first year...

My older 3 just go to a family doc when they get sick...

Any help, suggestions or guidence would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my AH-mazing Siggy!

September 22nd, 2010, 02:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
OH MAN...hugs.....and welcome to CNTV....

Do you have a birthing center near you that you could call and see who they recommend? Midwives? LLL? etc...anything with a natural mind and view might give a suggestion to you on who to call...On dr.sear's site there is a "find a vaccine friendly doctor" section....You might check there also.

As far as everything else goes. If you are having the baby at the hospital..make sure to sign all the waivers that you need to and be ready to tell them NO SHOTS as many times as it comes to your mind. There will be a doctor there that will check out your child and make sure baby is healthy....then you have a while to worry about it.

You are a seasoned momma...you know if something isn't right you can call a doc or go to 'urgent care" or something....I wont even be going for regular check ups past the first few weeks...After that time period...I will be going in only for yearly checkups unless there is a problem.....That is ME though not everyone has that view....

Our well child checkups are only about 50.00 with our doctor....she doesn't "do" insurance but is approved so we can send in our receipts and get our money back....but for some darned reason we always forget so we might as well NOT have insurance when it comes to well child checks...ugh...anyway....you might see how much they charge for well child checks when there are no vaccines administered. Maybe you can swing it? Maybe your insurance will cover part for out of network? Maybe you can send in the receipts and get some reimbursement? Just ideas....

HUGS...it's so frustrating...but congrats on being firm in your decision...I think the first step to being successful is standing up for what you believe and being 100% committed to the cause! Now....get your hands on as many books as you can and read read read...so you have a wealth of knowledge to support your belief...so when questioned...you can make THEM feel small for being uneducated lol..( talking about the docs/nurses that have made you feel so small)

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
September 23rd, 2010, 08:24 AM
~Annissa~'s Avatar I love my kids!
Well, how does your family dr feel about it? My daughter saw a family doctor for her first year and she was fine and they were great about our decision. I also counted on my mother's intuition to guide me with her health. I only started taking her to a pediatrician at a year when she was diagnosed with trigger thumb, that was based on referral. They don't agree with my decision, but they don't push it or disrespect me.

Try the internet for referrals, I found my Dr thought mamasource.com I just posted an ad that I was looking for a Dr who was respectful about delayed vaccine schedules and that's where I went.

I'm worried about our move to Texas in the next few weeks because while they have a philosophical exemption in the state, I am nervous about finding a doctor who will be respectful of my decision. We will be in the Austin area though and I see you're closer to Dallas.

September 25th, 2010, 05:27 PM
kawohilani's Avatar Super Mommy
I have never had any luck calling Pediatrician offices and getting them to say they are ok with me not vaccinating. I would recommend choosing one and if they kick you out, so be it. Our Pediatrician doesn't agree with our choice but she doesn't push it and hasn't kicked us out yet!
September 25th, 2010, 06:49 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome

What I would do (and what I did), is join mothering.com and find "your tribe" (your local area), and ask about vax-free friendly physicians in your area. I did a little search for you, and here are some threads I found for Fort Worth, TX. Good luck!!

MotheringDotCommunity Forums
September 27th, 2010, 06:54 PM
MommaNator's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome! My DD went to a family physician for her first 2 years. (After 2 years, the doc decided DD was "a danger to her staff" for not being fully vaxed and we were kicked out.) Anyway, sometimes family physicians are really on the ball and make good doctors for young children. Ask how many infants are in the practice. You may want a family physician who is relatively young and has more knowledge, but is willing to refer out if necessary.

We recently had to find another doc so we could get forms filled out for preschool Surprisingly, we landed at a large pediatric practice affiliated with a large local health system. One of the doctors told me that since they were part of the health system of a local hospital, they could not refuse care to anyone and that included for not vaxing. Of course, he told me this in person when I went to check out the practice. No one will tell you that sort of thing over the phone. Good luck!

Thanks Julie_aka_Mommy!

September 29th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Think4Yourself's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have any suggestions but wanted to let you know that you are not alone- I have gotten **** from every pedi I've brought Caleb to. They look at me like I'm an idiot for not vaxing, and talk down to me as if I don't know anything about anything after they find that out. It's very frustrating, but we know what's best for our kids >.<.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search