Negative Dr. Experiences

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 27th, 2010, 09:10 PM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm starting a thread about neg dr experiences that made you start to question things or have less faith in Drs.

My parents have always questioned drs and their intentions so I was kind of raised that way, but I have had several bad encounters with drs. They aren't even childbirth related either!

Here's my first one:

When I was 16, I woke in the middle of the night with unbearable pain in my stomach and back. It felt like I had poison inside me. I crawled in bed with my parents and cried and eventually we went to the ER. By the time we got there I was feeling better so they told me it was probably acid reflux and to watch what I ate. Several times over the next couple years, I had more "attacks". I would go to the dr and she'd prescribe different meds. When one didn't work, she'd move on to another. Finally after nothing worked, she had me drink berrium and get some tests done. Still showed nothing. She said it was maybe in my head. The next few months, I started having "attacks" on a weekly basis. They always occurred at night and nothing I did made me feel better. I cried to the dr and she said she'd try 1 last test, but didn't expect to find anything. I had an ultrasound done and it turned out I had gallstones....this was FOUR years from my first attack. She told me she never tested for them b/c it is not common in young people(although since, I have met 6 people around my age who had them, and it was discovered right away). My dad tried to convince me to get rid of them naturally by changing my diet, but I was in so much pain I wanted them out now. I met with a surgeon who's first available time was months from then. I broke down crying, and they fit me in a week later. The surgeon said they were the biggest stones he'd ever seen. I bet, they were growing for 4 years! I should have switched doctors right away, but I didn't.

So, anyone have some stories????

September 28th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've had a few but the one that takes the cake is when my grandfather was given the WRONG medication for his emphysema (it was right on his chart that he couldn't have it) and one of the things they did to rectify the situation was give him plasma (a blood product) from a donor without my grandmother's knowledge.

The doctor didn't explain to her that it was a blood product he was receiving (which she would have REFUSED) because she "had a thick accent and he didn't think she would understand"

My grandfather was infected with HIV that day, he later gave it to my grandmother and they are now both dead. So.... um... yeah... I'm well aware that doctors are human beings who make mistakes, BIG ONES, all the time.

September 28th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Oh Amanda, that is absolutely horrible. What a reckless doctor.

September 28th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well...if I thought long and hard I"m sure I'd have several instances that caused shock to our family....

One was before I was even born. My grandmother died of cancer just a little under four years before I was born....The doctor that she first saw was giving her medication for something else entirely and when they realized it was cancer it was too late to stop it. They hadn't even tested for it.

In my own experience...I've had doctors who are too willing to induce a perfectly healthy mom and baby...I've had doctors that talk down to me and treat me like my opinion is dirt...this was when I was concerned about a food allergy causing my oldest daughters eczema....turns out it WAS a food allergy but that doctor told me I was stupid basically for thinking that and that "I'll give you a referral to an allergist I dont think it'll do any good" UGH....I never went back after that day...he literally talked to me like I was a bloomin' fool! GRRRRR.....(she ended up being allergic to PROCESSED milk....we use RAW milk now and have no problems...her entire back was rough and scaly....he wanted us to use steriod creams on it...ALL THE TIME....I said "well as soon as we stop using it it comes back" he was like YEAH DUH....I said well I feel there is somethign else causing it...etc....it was a a turning point for me because it was the first time in my time as a mom that someone made me feel so inferior and so stupid and so MAD at the same time)....

Also when the same daughter was a little younger, she had HUGE tonsils. HUGE....they were causing her to choke on her food, snore, talk funny, etc....They were touching in the back of her throat...the doctor we had at that time (the one that the aforementioned doctor took the place of when this guy left the practice) was very "down to earth" most often...but this time...he was TOO easy going and said "eh, she'll grow into them".....after he left I asked for a second opinion and the ENT that took them out said they were the largest he'd seen in MANY years. That was just a matter of the doctor being sooo laid back about it....

Let's see....The pivotal "If you don't vaccinate, I cannot be your doctor" doctor...that was fun....

I know there are more and I know that I'm forgetting some (thanks to my mind protecting itself LOL)....but anyway....From my own stories somewhat but more from others is why I've learned NOT to trust just any ole doctor. We currently have a very great doctor...she's old fashioned....if she doesn't know the answer she'll tell you and she'll ask her doctor friends...or she'll research...or she'll ask ME to see what I find on the internet and let her know while she's doing her research...she values my opinion and values my insight....We love her....the kids call her by her first name....it's a very personal relationship....Well..they call her Doctor Elizabeth....She's fabulous!

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
September 28th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just copied and pasted my post from the NCB board from a little while ago.
"I had my appointment with the low risk maternity clinic today. We told them what we wanted for the birth. Basically a NCB with minimal monitoring, no drugs and that I will not be getting the Gestational diabetes test. They told us that if we were going to follow there guidelines we could not be be treated there. Apparently according to them our choices make us *High risk* and we will have to be referred to a OB . Some GREAT quotes from our dr today.
"The reason that we have such low maternal death rates in Canada is because we give birth in hospitals with all our technology and medicine look at Africa and there maternal and fetal death rates. they give birth at home"
"If you refuse drugs for failure to progress after 6 hours your baby will DIE"
"When your baby dies, 10 years later you will sue me and where does that leave me?"
"We do everything here according to regional not national standards" (This is after I asked why I wasn't being given a choice regarding the gestational diabetes testing, The SOCG recommendation is you can do it or not)
"You need counseling because you are eventually going to need medical care in your life" Somehow she got the idea that we are opposed to all medical care because we want a NCB with little to no intervention.
"Giving birth is the closest you will ever be to dying in your life"
"Having a baby is one of the most dangerous things medically that you will ever go through"
"I had 3 babies and am a mother so I know what I am talking about"

I was so in shock that some of these things actually came out of her mouth, I had heard they were more NCB friendly in Canada.. I didn't argue with her because it was obvious that she didn't care and was set on her point of view.
After we left I cried and cried then went to my moms and she reminded me that everything happens for a reason. We still haven't been able to get a midwife, even with me sending them emails constantly, I swear I am just going to start showing up at there offices everyday until they agree to take me as a patient. On a plus note everything looks good with the pregnancy

Edit: I thought that I should mention that I am low risk, I have none of the warning signs for GD, have no history in my family either. I have low blood pressure and generally other then HG have a routine normal pregnancy. I'm a healthy BMI and baby is measuring well and his heartbeat is strong and regular "

I also had one Dr tell me I was bipolar years ago and put me on medication for it that made me hallucinate badly. Turns out I wasn't even the least bit..

When I was 12 the health region give out HEP B shots. My parents didn't believe in vaccination either so they declined to have me vaccinated and filled out the exemption forms and called the school to let them know that I would not be having it. Turns out the health nurse didn't like that so she pulled me aside into a locked classroom and started calling me a liar and accusing me of faking it all and telling me I was going to die and a whole lot of other verbal abuse questions my parents judgment, and she also announced in front of my entire class that I would be dangerous for not being vaccinated. To this day I do not trust health nurses and when the vaccination day comes when my LO is grown up for school I will keep them home that day.

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
September 28th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
I just copied and pasted my post from the NCB board from a little while ago.
"I had my appointment with the low risk maternity clinic today. We told them what we wanted for the birth. Basically a NCB with minimal monitoring, no drugs and that I will not be getting the Gestational diabetes test. They told us that if we were going to follow there guidelines we could not be be treated there. Apparently according to them our choices make us *High risk* and we will have to be referred to a OB . Some GREAT quotes from our dr today.
"The reason that we have such low maternal death rates in Canada is because we give birth in hospitals with all our technology and medicine look at Africa and there maternal and fetal death rates. they give birth at home"
"If you refuse drugs for failure to progress after 6 hours your baby will DIE"
"When your baby dies, 10 years later you will sue me and where does that leave me?"
"We do everything here according to regional not national standards" (This is after I asked why I wasn't being given a choice regarding the gestational diabetes testing, The SOCG recommendation is you can do it or not)
"You need counseling because you are eventually going to need medical care in your life" Somehow she got the idea that we are opposed to all medical care because we want a NCB with little to no intervention.
"Having a baby is one of the most dangerous things medically that you will ever go through"

Holy cow, this doctor is crazy! I would have left running out of that place. During my first pre-natal appt, my OB said that if I refused the epi and she thought I needed one, then she would walk out on me! I would have walked right out of there if I had had pants on!

Martha--my niece has severely dry skin all over her legs. The dr prescribed her a cream that cost $300(that was WITH insurance), so my sister didn't get it for her. I'll have to ask her if she was tested for allergies.

Other issues I have had with doctors...the same dr who missed my gallstones also missed a page on my test results and told me I was fine after a routine pap. A week later I got a call from the dr telling me I had HPV. She explained what it was and basically told me I was a dirty person and should not touch my boyfriend b/c I might infect him.

When I was pregnant, I had just started using this prescription cream on my hands for dry skin. I called the drs office, and the nurse told me it was a "iffy" drug and I'd probably be best not to use it. I stopped, but then asked the dr, who assured me it was fine. Later on I was taking a medications class for work, and they gave us drug books, so I looked it up. It said do not use it if pregnant.

Another one, my mom's story actually...When my little brother was 8 months old the drs said he needed surgery for a hernia. They hadn't circ'd him, but the drs insisted he had to have it, so my mom went ahead and agreed since they said they'd do it while he was put under for the surgery. Afterwards she found out they did the circumcision before they put him under.

Compared to other stories, I guess mine aren't that horrible. I just cannot believe people who put their complete trust in doctors. It drives me nuts!!!!

September 29th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Think4Yourself's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

I was so in shock that some of these things actually came out of her mouth, I had heard they were more NCB friendly in Canada.. I didn't argue with her because it was obvious that she didn't care and was set on her point of view.
After we left I cried and cried then went to my moms and she reminded me that everything happens for a reason. We still haven't been able to get a midwife, even with me sending them emails constantly, I swear I am just going to start showing up at there offices everyday until they agree to take me as a patient. On a plus note everything looks good with the pregnancy

Edit: I thought that I should mention that I am low risk, I have none of the warning signs for GD, have no history in my family either. I have low blood pressure and generally other then HG have a routine normal pregnancy. I'm a healthy BMI and baby is measuring well and his heartbeat is strong and regular "

I also had one Dr tell me I was bipolar years ago and put me on medication for it that made me hallucinate badly. Turns out I wasn't even the least bit..

When I was 12 the health region give out HEP B shots. My parents didn't believe in vaccination either so they declined to have me vaccinated and filled out the exemption forms and called the school to let them know that I would not be having it. Turns out the health nurse didn't like that so she pulled me aside into a locked classroom and started calling me a liar and accusing me of faking it all and telling me I was going to die and a whole lot of other verbal abuse questions my parents judgment, and she also announced in front of my entire class that I would be dangerous for not being vaccinated. To this day I do not trust health nurses and when the vaccination day comes when my LO is grown up for school I will keep them home that day.

I can't believe she said all that... wow. That is ridiculous. And that teacher- really?! That is just unbelievable. People can be so ignorant and mean about vaccines in general it's so irritating

September 29th, 2010, 12:14 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dr had my parents fill me with tons of asprin as a child which caused other long term issues for me. Dr told my my she HAD to give me the MMR shot... I ended up with JRA which caused heart problems (asprin was the treatment for the JRA...so all my issues are in part due to that dang shot).
I was diagnosed with a heart issue only on accident. I these attacks for years with my chest hurting and pounding... I was always told it was just anxiety even though I wasn't stressed at all. Well over 15 yrs later I was a cardiac nurse and one of the tele tech (people who read the heart monitor screens) was training a new person and they need someone to wear a monitor for the day so that they could do what ever. I said sure.... Turns out i have runs of SVT!!!! They were able to catch it on the monitor and once I started treatment I never had an anxiety attack again.
Thats it for ME but I know tons of stories since I worked as a nurse. One that got me to change types of nursing (was L&D) was the "pit to c/s" ORDER from the dr. Yep you read that right... he wanted us to increase the pit until the mom or baby had stress so that he could section her!
September 29th, 2010, 12:44 PM
~Annissa~'s Avatar I love my kids!
Quote:
Originally Posted by soImarriedAnerd View Post
One that got me to change types of nursing (was L&D) was the "pit to c/s" ORDER from the dr. Yep you read that right... he wanted us to increase the pit until the mom or baby had stress so that he could section her!
OMG! That's terrible!

My bad experience with a Dr. was back in 2002 when I had my second child. I was diagnosed with Hypothyroid during my pregnancy and they treated it with Synthroid. About 6 months after she was born we had relocated and I needed more meds. I went to a new Dr. and told him about it. He said that "since it was diagnosed during pregnancy it probably wasn't an issue anymore and so he'd do a blood test that day and I probably was fine". I asked him since I had taken my last pill that day wouldn't that affect the results and he said "no".
The results came back "high-normal" and he said I was fine. Two years of no meds later I had gained 45lbs and wasn't menstrating normally. We were ttc and having no luck. I went to another Dr on the Navy base and he tested my thyroid levels. The next morning he was frantically calling every number he had for me because my levels were at an 11 and normal is 5! I was at risk for a seizure and brain damage all because of the idiot Dr. who told me I was fine.

My husband lost his mother 3 years ago because of a Dr. making the wrong call and I know of many similar stories. It makes me crazy when people say "I do what my Dr. tells me too".

September 29th, 2010, 01:47 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Luckily I do not have too many personal stories, but I see a lot of crap from my patients and friends and it is just horrifying. What is the worst is when someone does not realize it is a negative experience. For example, my very close friend just had a baby, she asked to be induced early because she was done and dr ok'ed it. As soon as they started the induction she got an epi because the anestesiologist was going home. Her labor was fast and the baby flew out. The dr gave her an episiotomy and my friend tore so severely that as soon as the baby was born, she needed to be PUT UNDER to be surgically repaired. She did not get to hold or bf her baby for HOURS. The next day, like less than 24 hours later, the hospital gave the baby a paci AND a bottle of formula and told her if she did not give the baby formula she would starve to death. ***? And my friend RAVES about how great her experience was. I was HORRIFIED>.

September 29th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
OH yeah..I've heard many people RAVE about their hospital experience...saying "so glad I was there cause xyz happened and it would have been bad if I were home"...and I'm thinking YEAH...cause you were xyz then xyz after that and then xyz...etc ugh...

I'm DEEPLY troubled by all the stories above....how sad is it...you'd think it was uncommon...or guess I should say HOPE it was...but it's not. HUGS to you all....

Kaite...they didn't do official testing on milk...they just had us eliminate it from her diet for three months to see if it helped...and it DID quickly....we started on Raw Milk and it was no problem for her. So you might suggest the milk thing without the appt...it was a 250.00 bill that wasn't necessary for someone to just say "try taking milk out of her diet"....which our doctor SHOULD have told us...and refused to consider it....then when we switched doctors (to the one that "refused" us once she found out our vax status) she said "oh yeah, that is quite common" and I would have been able to skip the whole appt at the allergist.

Anyway...HUGS to you all

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
September 29th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Think4Yourself's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow.. those stories are crazy !!

September 29th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
YOu know what...this line almost makes me think that she had some sort of traumatic birth experience (probably due to interventions) that has warped her senses and has made her fear birth...maybe?:

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search