Whooping Cough

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2010, 11:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am really against the DTaP vaccine after all the research that I have done. But the whooping cough scares me and there are outbreaks of it currently! I know that the vaccines don't protect you until you are 6 months and it is worse if an infant gets it before 6 months! Everything that I have read leads me to beleive that it would not be good if Mason was to catch it. So everytime that he coughs, it is in the back of my mind.

Does anyone have any information that would ease my anxiety about this disease and if it is really as much of a threat as I am thinking?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
October 1st, 2010, 03:54 PM
~Annissa~'s Avatar I love my kids!
I did and DO freak out about WC. But I now know 4 people personally who have had it fully/age appropiately vaccinated. Recently my friends 5 month old contracted it at a wedding and he had received two DTaP's. He had a pretty severe case too, but he's fine now. My little sister had it at 13 months and had a severe case fully vaccinated. She was in ICU for four days, but she recovered. My neighbor had it as a toddler and she was fully vaccinated and recovered. Another friends 6 year old got it and recovered, again fully vaccinated.
WC IS scary and it CAN be dangerous, but the vaccine obviously doesn't provide good enough protection considering the risks of it. I have read some great info regarding treatment with Vit C. Also, if you know you've been exposed you can do the antibiotic treatment right away.
Hasn't he had one dose? Even one should provide him *some* protection I'd think. I know it's hard not to worry though. I've even been really close to getting my daughter the series.

October 1st, 2010, 04:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Anissa I've also done some research that indicates sodium ascorbate as very helpful in the recovery process. I believe the information was on the mothering.com website. Off to take a look!

I think part of feeling okay about it is to be prepared to deal with it if it does happen. I know that I feel a lot better about it now that I have a plan of action so to speak.

October 1st, 2010, 04:43 PM
mommybugnbugga's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My ds contracted Whooping Cough last year. It took us almost a month to get a diagnosis. Once the dr. confirmed it we opted for 1/2 a dose of antibiotics via a shot and the rest orally. We did this because he had the actual cough for close to 3 weeks by then and the dr. rwas concerned that the state health department was going to insist on hospitalization for antibiotic treatment (he normally does not give a shot of antibiotics at all on children even if requested by the parents). He gave me this website for information on WC. Keep in mind that it is geared a little more toward vaccinating your child, but it does have some good information on WC signs, symptoms, warning, home treatments, etc.

October 1st, 2010, 05:02 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
so scary, either way.
October 1st, 2010, 08:01 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
you sound like how i was with walter. i only recently stopped worrying with him, but before, each cold was pertussis, i feared.

all i can say is that the worry will get better as he gets older. 1 is a huge milestone for some reason. i haven't been as worried with sam, i think just knowing we survived almost 3 years with a very healthy unvaxed kid.
October 2nd, 2010, 07:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well...I rest assured knowing some sickness can't be "immunized" against....Even if parents and caregivers and older siblings are vaxed...they can still spread it to the baby....I also know that I'd personally rather KNOW if it's whooping cough....say if my child has a heavy cough and has been vax'd but is around a baby...I'd rather them have the REAL thing so *I* know and dont take them any and everywhere...

Anyway....I think it comes down to having confidence in your decision not to vax...I had a little anxiety about Olive when she was less than six months but not too much. She had a cough I was suspicious of being WC when she was tiny....I dont know if it was or not....she coughed REALLY hard....and it lasted a long time....but she got over it fine....Again I think it also comes down to having things on hand (like books to read) that will give you knowledge if it DOES come to your house...and comfort in your decision.

There is too much risk to the vaccine, IMO, to justify giving it. For me it boils down to The Vaccine scares me more than the disease.

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
October 2nd, 2010, 09:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank-you everyone! Mason did have the first rounds ... I got scared by the doc into going against what I had originally wanted. I will not fall for that again.I will not be getting the DTap anytime soon. As Mason gets older, I also think that I will be more comfortable once Mason gets a bit older. It is hard b/c DH doesn't stand behind me on any of this and thinks that I am crazy for not following the docs orders! But in the end it is my decision! I think I am going to order a few books that are recommended here to give me a little bit more info and that should also help to be comfortable!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
October 2nd, 2010, 12:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It is super hard not having all the support you want from your SO. My dh surprisingly supported me on this. I'm praying he'll also support me on circumcision when it comes to that (if it does)...and I'm also praying he'll end up supporting my homebirth wishes.

It's SO hard, though...cause you want them to not only support but understand why you are "crazy" LOL..and why you are so passionate about it.

Is dh a big reader? Might it be helpful to have him read print outs...or is he like mine...and I have to force him to do ANYTHING other than watch his hunting shows! (rolls eyes! LOL)...

My dh's support started with the vaccine ingredients...I'd go "can you believe they put FORMALDEHYDE in vaccines...can you believe there is COW SERUM in vaccines....can you believe there is ANTI-FREEZE in vaccines..." and so on....and talk about how much was in there and that ANY amount is considered toxic...how can they justify it....I was so appalled about it all that I couldn't shut up about it to him! LOL....he finally was on board because he knew I read a lot, prayed a lot, and researched a lot....before making the decision...I even thought he was only on board with delaying...then I said "I'd like to skip them altogether...at this point I dont see the need for ANYTHING they vax for" and he supported me in that.

HUGS

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
October 2nd, 2010, 02:28 PM
Quote:
can you believe there is ANTI-FREEZE in vaccines..."
Is this really true? I've seen things to suggest that this is false. Do you have a source?

October 2nd, 2010, 02:36 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I wanted to be selective and delayed and my DH, the morning of our 2 month appointment, informed me that we were not going to do any. um, ok. Thanks for the discussion, LOL.

October 2nd, 2010, 09:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
From the pro-vaccine camp:

"One particular vaccine contains one component of antifreeze, propylene glycol." -- Paul Offit
Condé Nast

"The claim of antifreeze being in vaccines comes from the use of polyethylene glycol in one brand of the flu vaccine to inactivate the virus. It is also used to purify certain vaccines. But polyethylene glycol is not antifreeze; it is just a component that is found in antifreeze"
:: Vaccinate Your Baby : Ingredients ::
--------------------------------------------------------------------
From the EPA:
"Antifreeze typically contains ethylene glycol as its active ingredient, but some manufacturers market propylene glycol-based antifreeze, which is less toxic to humans and pets. The acute, or short-term, toxicity of propylene glycol, especially in humans, is substantially lower than that of ethylene glycol."
Municipal Solid Waste | Wastes | US EPA

(I copied this from another source that had the same question....I had read it when I FIRST started researching...and I guess my source I read compared it to antifreeze....not that this is any better but I do stand corrected in my phrasing...even though I feel it's basically one in the same...thanks for pointing it out though!!!!!)

October 3rd, 2010, 10:06 AM
Thanks for that Martha! Sometimes on the net it's hard to know what is and isn't true and this one was one I hadn't seen clarified. I appreciate the links!

October 4th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Jlynn's Avatar Jamielynn
I think the fact that you are aware of whooping cough helps out a ton. Just make sure if you think your child has whooping cough to get them in right away.
I live in Cali and there are alot of cases. I worry about my daughter getting it but even if she has the vaccine she can still get it. It's one big worry as a parent.
IUI #1 = BFP but ended in the loss of our boy Carter
12 failed IUIs followed
After TTC baby #2 for 3 years....
We are happily ADOPTING our rainbow baby.
Read my story here it is part of a campaign I was asked to Join...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search