OT: Do you homeschool or plan to?

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 17th, 2010, 12:24 PM
~Annissa~'s Avatar I love my kids!
If so why?

November 17th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We homeschool. It started out because my daughter didn't meet the age cutoff when she was five. She started writing her name and many others at the age of 3 and was starting to read already at the age of 4...so when she couldn't go to school because of 24 days I decided to homeschool for Kindergarten and 1st grade and then at that time was planning on sending her in 2nd. 2nd grade rolled around and I decided to continue...I didn't want her to be in that environment...I didn't want those kinds of influences...I didn't want that kind of education for my child....and then my son was ready for K that same year. He was no where near ready for public school but still wanted to learn...he's on a slower learning curve than his older sister...he wasn't really grasping letter sounds and such until half way thru his K year.....I'm so glad I was able to be the one working one on one with him and I am so glad that I was able to see it "click" when it did...it was glorious to be there.

It's a struggle every year cause my dh wants them to go to public school...I would SETTLE for private christian but nothing less....

So while it is our current situation it may not be permanent. We take it a year at a time.

Anyway...so what started with an age thing went into a religion, quality education, social influences, etc thing LOL....

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
November 17th, 2010, 03:57 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
we are planning on a combination of an alternative private school and homeschooling a couple days a week. The school is a very small alternative school with very heavy parent involvement.

November 17th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Tofu Bacon
We do, although if it wasn't for ds' special needs I don't think I would ever have considered it. Long story short, ds was in a school for kids with autism and/or developmental disabilities and had a great first year, but the second year they moved him to a small integrated class (1 teacher and 2 aides for 3 typically-developing students and 3 special needs students) but it was a really bad year for him because he just wasn't ready to be in a class without his own aide. I had homeschooling in the back of mind, but didn't think we could handle it, so we planned on finishing out the school year before making any decisions. Midway through the year, ds was physically assaulted by one of the teacher aides so dh and I immediately pulled him out of the school.

Being mid-year, no other special needs programs had openings, so we planned on keeping him home for the rest of the year and sending him to public school for kindergarten. That all went out the window when we met with the district to work on his IEP for kindergarten, and instead of agreeing to meet his need for an aide in class with him, they were too concerned with trying to convince me that he didn't need one. Finally, after much persistence on my part, they agreed that he clearly demonstrated that he needed and aide, BUT they weren't able to provide them anymore because the budget doesn't allow for it... and then went back to trying to convince me that he would adjust without one. Right, like they know my son better than I do; most of the people in the room had never even met him! So, I said "You agree that he needs an aide, but you are unable to provide him with one. I understand your position, however, since you are unable, I will have to provide him with individual instruction." I think they initial thought I meant that I would pay an aide, but when they realized what I truly meant, they were like "You're not planning on homeschooling him, are you??" (with horrified looks on their faces) and I declared "Yes, I am." And here we are, almost a year later.

As far as our other children go, we haven't made any concrete decisions about whether to homeschool them, as well. I want to because I feel that it gives kids more of an opportunity to reach their potential, but we want to make sure that we'd be able to balance their needs with ds'. Like, as of now, going to homeschool outings and co-ops is not possible with ds, but we don't know what things will be like a few years from now. I don't want a situation where our younger children's social needs always take a backseat to ds' needs... so we're taking the "wait and see" approach.
November 17th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu Bacon View Post
We do, although if it wasn't for ds' special needs I don't think I would ever have considered it. Long story short, ds was in a school for kids with autism and/or developmental disabilities and had a great first year, but the second year they moved him to a small integrated class (1 teacher and 2 aides for 3 typically-developing students and 3 special needs students) but it was a really bad year for him because he just wasn't ready to be in a class without his own aide. I had homeschooling in the back of mind, but didn't think we could handle it, so we planned on finishing out the school year before making any decisions. Midway through the year, ds was physically assaulted by one of the teacher aides so dh and I immediately pulled him out of the school.

Being mid-year, no other special needs programs had openings, so we planned on keeping him home for the rest of the year and sending him to public school for kindergarten. That all went out the window when we met with the district to work on his IEP for kindergarten, and instead of agreeing to meet his need for an aide in class with him, they were too concerned with trying to convince me that he didn't need one. Finally, after much persistence on my part, they agreed that he clearly demonstrated that he needed and aide, BUT they weren't able to provide them anymore because the budget doesn't allow for it... and then went back to trying to convince me that he would adjust without one. Right, like they know my son better than I do; most of the people in the room had never even met him! So, I said "You agree that he needs an aide, but you are unable to provide him with one. I understand your position, however, since you are unable, I will have to provide him with individual instruction." I think they initial thought I meant that I would pay an aide, but when they realized what I truly meant, they were like "You're not planning on homeschooling him, are you??" (with horrified looks on their faces) and I declared "Yes, I am." And here we are, almost a year later.

As far as our other children go, we haven't made any concrete decisions about whether to homeschool them, as well. I want to because I feel that it gives kids more of an opportunity to reach their potential, but we want to make sure that we'd be able to balance their needs with ds'. Like, as of now, going to homeschool outings and co-ops is not possible with ds, but we don't know what things will be like a few years from now. I don't want a situation where our younger children's social needs always take a backseat to ds' needs... so we're taking the "wait and see" approach.

Im sorry you went through that, I wanted to know how you handle the social piece of learning from home. DS has Autism and we are considering that, especially since I am being laid off here soon. Anyway the Social piece is my biggest worry and I could use some input from someone who has been there.
November 17th, 2010, 11:10 PM
~Annissa~'s Avatar I love my kids!
I am considering it for two major reasons.
#1 is that my husbands work schedule is about to change DRASTICALLY! Like the kids would only see him all day Sunday and Monday, Tuesday and every other Wednesday after 3. He'd work 7 to 7 the other days and likely be drop dead tired after coming home.
#2 is that my son is SEVERELY behind! He's in the fourth grade at a third grade reading level and 2nd grade math. He was in public school before our move and he was bullied because of it. He's also a super sweet kid who doesn't make issue of anything (he got that from me ) so even when the bully got caught, Braeden didn't want the kid to be expelled for it. I keep hearing about how fabulous Texas schools are, especially our district, but I can't let go of the fear I have for him. I don't want him to lose any more confidence and his last teacher certainly didn't help it.

My issue is that I'm also a full-time student and that my daughter 8 is completely and totally into the social aspect. She NEEDS to socialize it's just who she is. I feel like I'm holding her back a bit. I'd LOVE to enroll them in the private Christian school, but for both kids it's about 12k a year and that's just not doable for us right now. I'm so torn on this one.

November 18th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Tofu Bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by puglover View Post
Im sorry you went through that, I wanted to know how you handle the social piece of learning from home. DS has Autism and we are considering that, especially since I am being laid off here soon. Anyway the Social piece is my biggest worry and I could use some input from someone who has been there.
Honestly, we just live our lives and socialization naturally happens on it own. He's got the day-to-day interaction with us at home, he has a little friend he gets together with usually once a week or every other week, church on Sunday, random interactions while out on errands... I don't believe anything more is necessary at this point, but I'm also of the mindset that he doesn't need to be constantly surrounded by same same-age peers to be "socialized" kwim? He has virtually no interest in kids his own age, but he does fine with adults and kids who are older. Our district does have social skills groups for older kids, so while he won't be eligible for a few more years, we'll probably give it a try then.
November 19th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu Bacon View Post
Honestly, we just live our lives and socialization naturally happens on it own. He's got the day-to-day interaction with us at home, he has a little friend he gets together with usually once a week or every other week, church on Sunday, random interactions while out on errands... I don't believe anything more is necessary at this point, but I'm also of the mindset that he doesn't need to be constantly surrounded by same same-age peers to be "socialized" kwim? He has virtually no interest in kids his own age, but he does fine with adults and kids who are older. Our district does have social skills groups for older kids, so while he won't be eligible for a few more years, we'll probably give it a try then.
Thanks that helps, Zach is doing a Social Skills class but we wont be able to afford it once I lose my job. He is just starting to be interested in kids his own age and talks about them and not just the teachers at his ABA program. Unfortunately once I lose my insurance I will have to pull him from his school and will be working with him at home. Any tips would be helpful, he is almost 5.
November 21st, 2010, 07:25 AM
Tofu Bacon
One of the tools we found helpful was the Teach 2 Talk DVDs on social skills. There are two kinds: one that models both appropriate and inappropriate behavior, and one that only models appropriate behavior. I chose the latter because ds has so much trouble distinguishing between appropriate and inappropriate behaviors, I don't want to confuse him even more. There's also a software program that teaches facial expressions, but it is rather pricey.

Social Skills! Series of Educational DVD Videos by teach2talk
FACELAND Software Helps Children with Autism Recognize Facial Expressions of Emotions - A Social Literacy Skill
November 22nd, 2010, 07:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My 8 year old is VERY social. She's seriously soooo social. We have a Bible Study we do on Wed's where she is in a class of similar aged kids for a few hours....and then on Friday's we do Homeschool Coop where we get together with a bunch of other families and their kids and do special things. Sometimes it's just playing but that is good for them too. Then church on Sunday....that is about every other day we do something....and in between we do things with family and such....so she gets plenty of social time.

I'm with you Annissa...My hubby works thurs, fri, sat, and every other sun from 8am to 8pm...he leaves before they get up and is home at 8:45 so that means it's bedtime....since we homeschool I can keep them up long enough to say goodnight....He has 3-4 days off but if they were in public school they wouldn't see much of him...and he works overtime and is going to school so Monday's they wouldn't see him much then either. Homeschooling is GREAT for this reason for our family...though it isn't the real reason we chose it....it's a great side effect

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search