Chicken Pox questions..

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 10th, 2010, 07:07 PM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
I have already made the decision a while ago that Ashlynn will NOT get the chicken pox vax.
My main issue is that it wears off, or so they believe, and leaves a higher chance of shingles.

I figure if she doesn't get the pox by 12 or 13, I will consider getting the shot just to prevent the shingles, but I hope to somehow have her get the chicken pox..
Anyone on the same page with WANTING their child to get the chicken pox?

I'm wondering HOW I will do it, since a majority of kids are vaccinated against them, and many can't enter school without them (I plan on getting an exemption form if she doesn't have them by school age)
I've heard about pox parties.. but most of the people here don't believe in that, and most are vaccinated..
Does sending clothes from children who had pox really work? I may look into that..

Also, what ages are best for the pox? I don't want to expose her too young, but also don't want to do it when she'll be clawing her skin off (I have a scar on my cheek from them, which I honestly like)
What about getting them more than once? I had them (verified) three times. Once was mild, the other two were just regular cases of the pox. Could that happen to her?
Would my insurance cover getting her checked for immunity after she gets them the first time?

Any info/tips would be AMAZING!

Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!
December 11th, 2010, 10:14 AM
~Annissa~'s Avatar I love my kids!
Well, she can't get the Shingles unless she has the pox or the vaccine. I've read and heard stories about children getting shingles just shortly after getting the vaccine. Which after having the Shingles I can't imagine in a child! Ouch!
If she encountered someone with Shingles, she *could* get chickenpox from their shingles, but she wouldn't get shingles. You can only get them if you've had the virus and it then lives dormant in your body.

I'm hoping my children get the pox. I also had them more then once, I had them twice documented and one was a mild case around 2 and one was a regular case at 8. I know that through the online community you could probably get someone to rub down there pox kid and send you a tshirt or something, but I'm not sure how long the virus would live on that. Just keep an ear out, reach out to local non-vax community and let them know you want the pox. I've heard of vaccinated kids still getting them, so I don't think it'll be impossible to find them, but you will have to look.

As for age, I've always heard school age is the best time to get them 5-12 and after that they get harder to deal with. If she contracted them under a year she *could* get them again, but it's really hard to say what will acquire good lasting immunity.

December 15th, 2010, 10:18 PM
missy11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i wonder this same thing!

[IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
December 15th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm looking for pox in the new year. Ds will be 2.5 and DD will be 1. A friend of mine knew a kid with the pox back in August but I wanted DD to be at least a year for my own comfort. i'm sure they'll come around again. I've heard of people sending pox toys etc. but I'm not sure how that would work in terms of how long they would be contagious for.

I started a small group of non vaxed kids in my area on Fb for this very reason. you might try and do the same!

December 15th, 2010, 11:34 PM
I'm almost positive there aren't any non-vax kids around here..
Same with cloth diapering! NONE! (I've been to every consignment shop around here and NONE have ever even SEEN a cloth diaper)

I heard pox toys/clothes work if you ship them overnight.. But I think that's like $20+

For some reason, I feel a bit..bad..considering exposing her to pox.. LOL
I don't want to make her sick, but it IS for her own good, right?

December 16th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I dont feel bad exposing to pox...IMO I think it's to help in the long run. I dont want them to be 18 getting it or something...then it's really hard on them...I'd rather they be nice and young and snap back really fast. My older two have had the pox but it was a mild case....I really want to expose all of them but especially the younger two....I'm not sure I'd spend the money on clothing mailed to me unless I was sure it'd work....I dont know...I just keep telling my friends "if you hear of anyone having them please let me know" lol...

I think that if my child never caught them I'd let them know that they hadn't caught them and that they might want to either just be careful OR have the vaccination as an adult? It would be their choice at that time.

A friend of mine never caught them and neither did her husband....they still haven't gotten them....and they dont vaccinate and haven't caught them with any of their kids either....she's pregnant as often as I am (every other year just about) and so it worries her because of potential pregnancy issues....but anyway....

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
December 20th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Tofu Bacon
I'm the odd one out on this issue, as I would not purposely expose my children to chicken pox. Not because I'm afraid of it or anything, but because I don't believe there is any real benefit to it anymore. In order to have lifelong immunity and prevent shingles, you need occasional re-exposure to the virus (in the same way that you need booster doses of the vaccine). Since the virus isn't circulating like it used to be (especially since a second dose was added to the recommended schedule) they aren't likely to get the re-exposure they need. IMO, its come to a point where the population has become dependent on the vaccine, so this is one that I may consider at some point.
December 21st, 2010, 06:58 PM
Wait.. so theoretically I could get the shingles? Even after having the pox 3 times as a child?

December 22nd, 2010, 06:11 AM
Tofu Bacon
Theoretically, yes. After you've had either chicken pox or gotten the vaccine, the herpes zoster virus lays dormant in your nerve cells; shingles outbreaks are caused by the HZ virus "re-emerging" from the nerve cells. Re-exposure to the virus (either naturally or via the vaccine) gives you a "booster" which helps the HZ virus remain dormant.
December 30th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Super Mommy
my daughter got the vaccine, but got the pox 2months ago at school. which i think is weird. it makes no sense to me

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search