Help!

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 15th, 2010, 04:28 PM
cynb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have chosen not to vaccinate my three kids. My oldest is due to start school in the fall, and we have been living in ID. ID is really good about choosing to not vaccinate and allows you to opt out for Philosophical reasons.

I just found out that DH is likely to be accepted to a program for school in Mass near the border of Conn and NY. We would move before my son started school-probably Aug. I was wondering if anyone knows what the laws are like regarding not vaxing and which state will be the most lenient as far as school and allowing me to make these vax choices.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Last edited by cynb; December 15th, 2010 at 04:39 PM.
December 15th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Lilah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I live in Massachusetts but I don't know NY or CT laws. We don't have philosophical exemptions in MA but you could go the religious exemption route. My daughter is in preschool and I haven't had any issues - I am hoping it will be just as easy once she starts kindergarten...

Here is a link for information on state exemptions:

Vaccination Liberation Exemptions
December 15th, 2010, 06:14 PM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think NY is all or nothing. Your kids can get an exemption if they haven't had a single vaccine.

December 16th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I was thinking the same as Kaite...that of those I think NY is the pickiest on what qualifies....But I wasn't sure....

Good luck with the move...That is a big move...

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
December 20th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Tofu Bacon
I'm in NY, which only allows for medical or religious exemptions. NY is tricky because the law allows each school principal full discretion with granting religious exemptions; since you would be required to submit a letter explaining your religious opposition to vaccination, its up to the principal to determine if your reasons are sincere and religious in nature. The problem with that is your exemption may be approved in one school but denied in another, in which case you would need to file an appeal. Its not always that difficult, though; when ds1 was in school we had no issues whatsoever, but the school that dd and ds2 will eventually be attending the principal is notoriously stringent with exemptions.

Connecticut is a little easier because you don't have to explain or "prove" your religious beliefs; you merely have to submit a letter stating that vaccinations conflict with your religious beliefs.

Last edited by Tofu Bacon; December 20th, 2010 at 07:34 AM.
December 20th, 2010, 02:15 PM
MamaMandy's Avatar is it Spring yet??
About medical exemptions- my daughter was granted med ex based on mental health reasons. I think sometimes people forget medical isn't just physical. She may be an extreme case, but qualified due to prior traumatic medical experiences, including panic attacks at attempted vax's, nightmares of med treatment and fear of med procedures. She was in play therapy to work thru the med trauma, and also has a supportive ped. Having an unnecessary (IMO) vax would do more harm mentally and impact ability to go thru future needed care than the benefit of vax'ing, and the do no harm oath factored in. Finally getting to the point, if you can reasonably state your child's mental health will suffer from vax'ing, you should be able to get a med ex.

Children are not little adults, but they ARE people too!

There's a reason they are called dependents...

AP is not alternative to those who see no other choice

http://helpguide.org/mental/parentin...t_disorder.htm

December 20th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Tofu Bacon
^^Depends on how each state handles medical exemptions. Some have a system where the doctor must apply for the medical exemption on behalf of the patient, and the reason for exemption must be on the CDC's list of contraindications for each individual vaccine.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search