Awesome DR visit

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 29th, 2010, 10:20 AM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I mentioned before that I had found a homeopathic dr in our area that actually accepts our insurance. He works with 3 nurse practitioners and we had to wait 2 months to get in with one of them. The actual dr had a 5 month waiting list! Holy cow....so, I originally made my appointment because of the issues I had with nursing, but now that I stopped Well, I do still nurse her in the middle of the night and first thing in the morning, but I pump the rest of the time and mix it with milk. I just assumed we wouldn't discuss it much.

First off, my visit with her was over an HOUR long. I couldn't believe it. I've never seen a dr for more than 15 minutes, even at the first visit. She listened to me for quite a while, then asked questions, then examined me, and then we talked. She still checked out my nipples, and agreed that she didn't think it was thrush, but that I do have some sort of an infection due to something else she saw on my breast, so I will be getting some tests done on that. She actually questioned me about my weight, which I've never had a dr do. I know I'm overweight, but when I meet with a dr, they usually point out how otherwise healthy I am, and never even mention weight. So, I'm actually happy to have a little pressure from her on the weight issue.

She wanted me to start taking probiotics and fish oil, which I knew I needed, but never have any idea what to get dosage-wise. I picked some up at a nutrition store, along with some local organic meat! She sees Maddie next month, and I will be going back in at the same time for a follow up, since I will be having some blood work done to check my vitamin levels, and my thyroid(my sis has a thyroid issue). I mentioned we don't vax, and it was NO BIG DEAL.

I am so excited to finally be going somewhere where I am not judged for being knowledgeable and asking questions! Ahhh.....a doctors office I love, a potential homebirth in my future....I'm so happy!

On a side note about the breastfeeding....I hadn't posted about it, because I'm totally disappointed in myself, well, in my body. I had tried many treatments for thrush and nothing was working. The only thing that helped was pumping instead of nursing, but I was only pumping about 4 oz of milk a day. At first I had some frozen milk, but quickly ran through it. I went back to nursing her when I felt better, and I was fine for a day or so, then back to pain. One night after a severely painful nursing, I looked at my nipples and they were bleeding all over. So....I decided to pump and mix it with whole milk. She's 11 months, and I suppose I would have been told by a dr to do formula, but I felt like whole milk was best. The little stinker took her first bottle of whole milk without hesitation. I thought she might refuse it, but nope, no issues at all. I still mix about an oz of breastmilk in with 4 oz of whole milk, and like I said before, if she is up in the middle of the night I nurse her and then in the morning I will nurse her. If the NP can figure out how to heal me, then I will definitely go back to nursing full time.

Anyways, I hadn't said anything, because although Maddie is doing great with the transition, it has been very rough on me. Part of me thinks "you are being crazy, you nursed in severe pain for 11 months, and not many people can do that" and another part of me thinks "you wimp, tough it out". Ahhhh.....I will get through this.

December 29th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
one handed so pardon my typing....yay for the great appt...that is fabulous!!! and hugs/kudos to you...what a hard situation...i hope they can help u figure it out...more later

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
December 29th, 2010, 06:31 PM
MommaNator's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm happy you found a great doctor's office! I think you did a great job, nursing for so long. If it hurt the whole time, you must be a real champ! That's really something. I get the idea that you wanted to nurse longer but you really did a phenomenal job nursing in pain all that time. It's a shame that no one has figured it out, because it shouldn't hurt.

Thanks Julie_aka_Mommy!

December 30th, 2010, 04:57 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I am so glad you had a great appointment! I hope they get to the bottom of your nipple pain. At my first midwife appointment, it was 2 hours long! i love them. My doctor is very good as well and our first visits were about 30 minutes long. I know how hard you worked at the bfing. Any momma's milk she gets now is a blessing, so do not beat yourself up too much momma!

December 30th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with the others....I'm so impressed you made it this long with that kind of pain. My first (granted I was 18 and was not very knowledgeable about things like nipple shields and such) I only nursed for 3 days because she had my nips all scabbed over and bleeding and I panicked when she was ready to eat cause I was in so much pain....I broke down and she was a formula fed baby....I beat myself up so much for quitting so easily but at the time it was the ONLY solution I knew of....and that was for three freakin' days....you ARE a champ...dont be ashamed or let down because of what you have done...you really have done a lot for Maddie and are still doing it....it's great you are now pumping what you can for her. I hope the new doc will help you get your nips all unpainful and going great so you can nurse again.

I do want to ask if you are giving her organic whole milk? I started my kids on whole milk early (the ones that were FF that is)....and no problems but I didn't know the amount of hormones and such in regular milk....if you aren't already I'd suggest organic so she's not getting anything she shouldn't from the regular stuff. Just my opinion though

I can't wait to hear how your follow up goes and how Maddie's appt goes. I SO wish there was a homeopath here...there is a naturopath though but they dont do insurance cause insurance doesn't consider them doctors (grr)...so it's 100% out of pocket....I'm hoping that we can switch over to that though (for the adults anyway and specialty issues like allergies for kids) within the next year or two....Our pediatrician is a family doctor..is very natural oriented so I'm ok with not doing it yet....but there are things she just isn't familiar with (eczema issues and tonsil issues and how to reverse that stuff) BUT ANYWAY....

So happy it went so great!

PS...Christmas is over...we need to work on a meet up so I can give you your stuff

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
December 30th, 2010, 10:14 AM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Of course it is organic milk Maddie pretty much gets all organic with the exception of a few fruits or veggies that aren't on the "definitely buy organic" list. Not that I eat all organic, but I figure her little body is pure and should only get the best!

The doctors office also has a naturopath NP which is who my NP wanted to consult with on my nursing issue, but she is out of the office for the holiday, so I'm waiting on her. I told her I really would like to get to the bottom of the issue because the thought of going through this with another baby is terrifying! Yet at the same time, I can't imagine not nursing my baby.

Martha, we definitely need to meet up. I ordered the stuff that was good for teething right? Maddie had 3 teeth come in last week! I was thinking I really needed something to ease her pain!

And thank you to everyone for not making me feel horrible about not nursing as much. Not that I thought you would....just that it has been so rough on me. I know she is still getting some, its just that I know my supply in dwindling down and it won't be too long before its gone. But I will keep doing it until nothing comes out!

December 30th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I figured it was (organic) but wanted to throw it out there

Remind me what days work for you....

December 30th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Mom 2 Alayna N Hayden's Avatar Texan In Seattle
Sounds like you found an awesome doctor! Sounds a lot like mine. She is homeopathic, non-vax supporting, and spends as much time with us as we need.

Siggy by RASPBERRYBERET!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search