scared of whooping cough

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 9th, 2011, 12:35 AM
missy11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
kai is almost 3months and we chose to not vaccinate, at least not for a while...id ultimately like to wait till hes 2...but im scared to death of whooping cough. what are your thoughts and experiences w this?

[IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
January 9th, 2011, 12:59 AM
~Annissa~'s Avatar I love my kids!
Well, I might not be the best person to chime in because WC scares me too. However, I know of three people who had it as infants and were fully/age appropriately vaccinated. One was my sister at 13 months and she'd been fully vaccinated on time her case was severe and she was in the hospital for 4 days, another more recently was my friends 5 month old. He was age appropriately vaccinated, so he'd recieved two DTaP vaccines and he still got it. His case wasn't as severe as my sisters, he was treated at home.
So in my experience being vaccinated doesn't mean you won't get WC and it doesn't ALWAYS mean you'll have a less severe case than a non-vaxed person. This and the fact that these vaccines aren't tested enough to answer my questions about long term affects, why they aren't tested for their ability to cause Cancer, as well as the disgustingly toxic ingredients have kept me from getting this vaccine for my daughter. I have many times considered it, I even made appts to get it, but I never went to those appointments.
Ultimately, it's what you're comfortable with. I have a local Dr. who doesn't vax and offers natural/homeopathic treatment options should we encounter this or other illnesses. Even with all of this said I still struggle with my decision at times and consider getting this vaccine. It's a tough decision that just comes down to what's best for your family. There's a wealth of information here and in many good books such as How To Raise a Child In Spite of Your Doctor. I also liked Dr. Sears book even though he does lean more towards pro-vax I found his book very informative.
Good luck in whatever you decide! We all know how hard this decision is on either side of the choice!

January 9th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You know...I WORRY about them getting thigns like WC...but getting it isn't a death sentence. There are things you can do to relieve the symptoms (like steamy showers running in the bathroom with door shut...and many other things to help open airways)...etc...So anyway...I WORRY that they'll get it...but i can't say I'm SCARED of WC. I think I just decided that not vaxing was the safest way for our family and once I was secure in my decision I just accepted that there will be some things that MIGHT have been 'preventable' had we chosen to vaccinate but at what risk....so to me...I'm ok with them getting the illness. I know it builds NATURAL immunity....and I've armed myself with knowledge...I have sites bookmarked, books on my shelves, and homeopathic/natural remedies book as well....I think that if you arm yourself similarly...you'll be less scared and more prepared...if that makes sense....

You may have already bought some books and just aren't there...some people just don't seem to GET there...and that is ok....I'm just explaining what helped me.

I *think* Olive had WC when she was little. I never had her tested...but as a bitty baby (like 4-6 months old) she had a TERRIBLE cough that my husband was thinking i was crazy for not taking her to the doctor for. I can't remember everything from it from back then....she did "whoop" slightly but not totally like the books say....so it might have just been something else....it might have been WC...it's hard to say. But once they are older it's easier on them anyway....so she's "in the clear" for my worries anyway...

Now the baby I'm pregnant with will be born in May...so when "WC season" gets here he'll be older than the most fragile ages (dont they say 2-4 months is the worst?? Sorry trying to remember)....so again...it wont be AS worrisome.

Anyway...toddler has to pee....HUGS....hope that helped...if not....HUGS and we are here for ya!

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
January 9th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We have a plan if one of the kids get WC (sodium ascorbate to bowel tolerance, absolutely NO SUGAR OR DAIRY, steamy bathrooms etc.) but I did worry about both the kids getting it before they were 6 months old (that seems to be the most dangerous) 1/3+ of that crucial time babies aren't "protected" by a vaccine, and I'm not entirely sure how long it takes them to build some type of immunity to it after the 1 does of DTaP at 2 months. I PERSONALLY would rather stay home and limit exposure until my baby was 6 months old + vs take the chance with the vaccine (if you can't feel comfortable with the risk of exposure of course). The P in the DTaP is reputably one of the worst vaxes as far as efficacy goes anyways... so I don't know what to tell you!

I found what helped me was to learn about how to treat/manage pertussis NOW... you don't want to end up Googling like a mad woman in the middle of infection with pertussis. I found that, like Martha, being prepared and having a game plan really helped ease my mind.

January 11th, 2011, 12:17 PM
missy11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
thank you ladies, that was very helpful! why the heck did i not think to google treatment!!!!! my husband and i are vaccinated..and when we shop at the store on base most of tthose people should be vaccinated as in the military its mandatory...so really i have to be carefull bringing him to other places. i try to keep him clear of too many people. and told my parents they need to get the vaccine as they can tolerate it much better than Kai and may already have had the vaccine with the tetnus they recieved. i feel a bit better. thanks.

[IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
January 19th, 2011, 05:47 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Whooping cough is a big fear of mine, but I think it would also be if my children were vaccinated. I just read this article talking about the Cali epidemic, which quotes,
Quote:
For pertussis cases in which vaccination histories are known, between 44 and 83 percent were people who had been immunized, according to data from nine California counties with high infection rates. In Riverside and San Bernardino counties, immunization history is known for only about one quarter of the cases, according to state data. Of those cases, 77 percent had been immunized.

Health officials in Ohio and Texas, two states experiencing whooping cough outbreaks, report that of all cases, 75 and 67.5 percent, respectively, reported having received a pertussis vaccination.
Pretty ineffective vaccination! Everyone should be equally anxious about it.
January 20th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
My brother (now 6yo) had WC at 5 weeks old. It was rough and it was scary sometimes. We would hold him upside down when he was coughing sometimes but he never had to go to the hospital or even the ER. He went to the ped a few times to get breathing treatments and antibiotics but he was and is fine. He has far fewer breathing problems than my son who had croup at 8 weeks and still is having terrible breathing problems. In my experience WC is serious and not something to brush off but I would suggest antibiotics and breathing treatments, not just steam or cold.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search