Those who are delaying, but getting some...

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 9th, 2011, 08:29 PM
~Annissa~'s Avatar I love my kids!
Which vaccine(s) will you get first? After much talking with my husband and many prayers and soul searching I have decided that for us it's best to get Lili some vaccines. I haven't decided completely on which ones I'll do yet. I consider the HiB and the DTaP and maybe Polio later and eventually MMR or at least the Measles component much later on. I think for my own mental health this is the best option for us now. I feel much more confident that she's older now and her immune system would be better able to handle the vaccines. I plan to do one at a time to watch for reaction, but I haven't decided which to start with. I know the HiB is supposed to be less reactive then the others and so I thought I'd go with that one, but I am still ironing that out. I do know I want to do them while I'm still nursing so we plan to start in the next month or two, once everyone is over this cold and our immune systems are back on track.

So I was curious which one you'll do or have done first and why? Did you do anything extra before or after vaccines? (Vit C, Vit A, Probiotics, or anything like that?)

Thanks.

January 9th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm always curious to hear this too! I used to think I'd consider getting vax's for meningitis but one by one I couldn't justify them. I'm not sure if your EBF for very long (or at all!) but there are numerous studies that show exclusive bfing to provide protection against invasive Hib infection.

If I were to consider vaxing for something it would probably be tetanus but it's not available as just tetanus and we have the option of using the tetanus immunoglobulin if a situation arises and we *slap forehead* "wish we had gotten a tetanus shot to begin with.

Hypothetically speaking if I were to vax I'd probably do

DTaP mostly for the tetanus
I would consider a pox vax if we haven't got it naturally by puberty

That's probably it for me... lol... sorry I wasn't much help! I think Dr Tenpenny had some good tips on Vit A and C pre and post vaccination as well as making sure your child was in perfect health (not even the sniffles) before vaxing etc.

Hope you can work out a schedule that is appropriate for you family and that you feel good about! These decisions are SO DIFFICULT!

January 10th, 2011, 06:20 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
My DH is dead set against all vaxs, but after 2yo, i would consider tetanus alone, meningitis and i think that is it.

January 10th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
the only one on the maybe list is chicken pox if they haven't gotten it by puberty as well....otherwise all vaccines are OFF my lists...

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
January 10th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Tofu Bacon
((hugs)) After 5 years of being staunchly non-vax, I've come to a similar decision. What changed my mind most was our decision regarding schooling for dd and ds2; ds1 will be home schooled, but we think it will be better for dd and ds2 to attend public school at least for grammar school (after that, it depends on where we are living and how they are doing in school). I don't feel comfortable sending them to school completely unvaccinated, but the problem is that I live in an "all or nothing" state, so the vaxes we are going to do are more of a reflection of the state requirements than the ones we would do on our own accord. We are also delaying until 2 or 3 (dd just got her first vax last week) because, with ds1's history of reactions, I do not feel comfortable vaxing an infant who cannot verbalize what they are feeling, and a serious reaction is more likely to be brushed off as hysterical mother sydrome

Anyway, here is what we are doing

DTaP only 3 doses are required, but we may do a 4th. I really want to do this one in infancy when pertussis is more dangerous, but with our history with this vax, I'm willing to take the risk with delaying

Hep B (3 doses) not a vax I would choose to do, but the state mandates it

Polio (only 3 doses required) again, not a priority, but the state mandates it

MMR 2 doses

Varicella only 1 dose is required, but we'll probably do the 2 dose series

We will only do HIB and PCV13 if they go to preschool, since its not required for kindergarten. Only 1 dose of each would be required.

As far as how we are doing them, I talked it over with our doctor (who also delays her kids vaxes until they are older) and we agreed that fewer injections would be less traumatic for an older child, so while they will only get 1 injection at each visit, we're going with combo vaxes for DTaP, Hep B and polio, and obviously the MMR. It'll work out to 8 or 10 injections over a 3 year period.

As far as doing anything special, I gave dd extra Vitamin C for a couple of days and kept ibuprofen on hand in case she was really uncomfortable.
January 10th, 2011, 11:27 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
oh yeah, Heb B as a teen or early adult.

January 10th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Cori, did you decide on a certain brand of vaccine? I've read some have less reactions then others. I originally wanted to do Daptacel because of the least aluminum content, however I read it's more reactive than the others.
I'm interested to hear anyone else's experience with their delayed/selective schedule. Here in TX I can pick and choose and I was going to put dd into pre-school, but I don't feel comfortable doing that with her completely unvaxed either. I like that the HiB she only needs one to be complete, but now that they changed the PCV to the 13 will she still only need the one after 24 months and would that one be one to consider if I go through with sending her to preschool?
Thanks!

January 11th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Tofu Bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Annissa~ View Post
Cori, did you decide on a certain brand of vaccine? I've read some have less reactions then others. I originally wanted to do Daptacel because of the least aluminum content, however I read it's more reactive than the others.
I ended up going with Pediarix (DTaP-HepB-IPV) mainly because the safety profile was pretty good in comparison to separate doses and it cuts those vax series down to 3 injections instead of 9. It is more ingredients at once than individual doses, but she's a lot bigger than the infants who normally get this vax. I give her extra vitamin c because it increases glutathione levels, which helps the liver to detoxify the blood stream.

Quote:
I'm interested to hear anyone else's experience with their delayed/selective schedule. Here in TX I can pick and choose and I was going to put dd into pre-school, but I don't feel comfortable doing that with her completely unvaxed either. I like that the HiB she only needs one to be complete, but now that they changed the PCV to the 13 will she still only need the one after 24 months and would that one be one to consider if I go through with sending her to preschool?
Thanks!
Yep, she'd only need 1 dose of PCV13.
January 15th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Cori, do you happen to know how the Pentacel compares to the Pediarix? My Dr's office only has those two, but I'm still not convinced on the Hep B for now. I am thinking I may just do the DTaP on it's own, and I'm curious which one's best. I think for the HiB I'll ask for ActHiB, but I've read it's still hard to get which is why I considered doing the Pentacel for one and then following up with a DTaP on it's own, then the IPV on it's own later.
She has an appt for Thursday because of a separate issue with her trigger thumb and so I was thinking of asking for it then. Have you done the TDaP for yourself, will you?

January 16th, 2011, 05:14 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think we will go DT or Polio first (depending on locations we move---we travel around the world). If we go to india or nigeria-polio will be first. If we got to eastern Europ- DT will be first. But he will get both some time...and IF we can find the MMR broke up we would do that at the last possible second before school (kindergarten) But I'm trying to get him natural immunity first to MMR and poxs.
So DT, Polio and MMR will be the only ones he gets. Hep B if he becomes a lifeguard, nurse's aid or something like that for a job in his teen years.
January 16th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Tofu Bacon
Quote:
Cori, do you happen to know how the Pentacel compares to the Pediarix? My Dr's office only has those two, but I'm still not convinced on the Hep B for now. I am thinking I may just do the DTaP on it's own, and I'm curious which one's best. I think for the HiB I'll ask for ActHiB, but I've read it's still hard to get which is why I considered doing the Pentacel for one and then following up with a DTaP on it's own, then the IPV on it's own later.
She has an appt for Thursday because of a separate issue with her trigger thumb and so I was thinking of asking for it then. Have you done the TDaP for yourself, will you?
I didn't look much into Pentacel because Pediarix made more sense for what dd would need (she wouldn't need all of those doses of HIB), but Pentacel got a good write-up because the aluminum content is quite low for a combo vax (330mcg, I believe?). As far as TDaP goes, I don't plan on getting it because I had whopping cough 5 years ago when ds had it, so I should be immune for quite a few more years. Dh got a TDaP over the summer; he needed a tetanus booster for his missions trip, and the doctor talked him into a TDaP.
January 16th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Ok, thanks! I don't think I'll go with Pentacel, I guess I'll suck it up and do the Pediarix if they don't have a DTaP on it's own. I was thinking of getting the TDaP for myself. I think DH had one in the Navy, but I'm going to look at his medical records and be sure.
We are going to start TTC this year and I want to do the TDaP before I get pregnant, but I am not sure about doing it while nursing. I was exposed at 9, but they put my sister and I on antibiotics when my youngest sister got it. I'm not sure if I'd have gained any immunity from that or if I'd even still have it 21 years later. But I am thinking not.
Thanks again!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search