What to do

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 20th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
My son Danny is 3.5 yo and has pretty bad asthma. He has the kind that on a good day just gives him a chronic, constricted sounding cough, and if he has any form of an illness it will cause severe wheezing and coughing to the point of choking. He also I guess has a weak immune system. He is ALWAYS sick but gets no vax's, and the bugs are usually viral but occasionaly bacterial. He has had to miss about 5 weeks of school due to illness and needing to be watched constantly to make sure he is breathing okay and needing breathing treatments and steroids just to be able to breath well enough. Thankfully he is in preschool on campus while I am taking classes and not in kindergarten yet or I would be in trouble because of all of his absences.

Anyway, all that was to try to give you an idea of what I am up against. I am trying to #1 figure out what to tell his allergist on Thursday who is going to want him to get a flu shot (they mentioned it to me last time and I said that he always has done really well with the flu.) He has had it twice and runs around laughing and playing with a 102 fever for 4-5 days. He has never had the respiratory effects from the flu though. If he gets that it will be really bad. #2 I would like some advice on what to add to his diet to increase his immune system in general and to help protect him from the flu.

Anything that you guys can suggest would be greatly appreciated!!! TIA!!!

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

January 20th, 2011, 05:18 PM
MommaNator's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry to hear Danny has bad asthma. How is he doing with the foods he can eat? Can he eat a bigger variety now? I'm not too savvy on immune-boosting foods, but I would say to make sure Danny gets plenty of vitamin D. Having a good blood level of vitamin D3 can make a big impact on staying well, no matter a person's age. I'd recommend Carlson's vitamin D3 drops (make sure it is D3), which you can buy in a range of doses. One tiny drop contains all the vitamin D3, and you can put it in applesauce, milk, on the tongue, whatever. Mona gets a total of either 600 IU or 1200 IU vitamin D3 per day from supplements, depending which bottle I pull out of the cabinet. I credit it with helping her to stay healthy. That, and probiotics.

Quercetin, found in apples, is supposed to be good for the lungs, so I would suggest apples or applesauce.

Thanks Julie_aka_Mommy!

January 20th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
or if you have a juicer fresh squeezed apple juice would be awesome too (in fact you might just read up a lot on juicing...I have lately and it's amazing what juices do for you)....

Anyway...I was going to say Vit D and then also Elderberry Juice Concentrate I stress CONCENTRATE because it's better than extract or syrups that have elderberry in them....It's a GREAT immunity booster AND a great flu resister (the one year my dh got flu since our new habits, he started feeling it coming on so i upped his elderberry intake and it never did take full hold of him...)...

Dh used to get the flu yearly...he's been flu free for the last two or three years. YAY...I'm talking EVERY YEAR of his life he's had some sort of flu (24 hour or the "big deal" flu)....ugh

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
January 21st, 2011, 12:12 AM
~Annissa~'s Avatar I love my kids!
My nephew is the same way, he has had pneumonia 3 times in the past 3 years. This year he started Kindergarten and so far so good, but he does always sound raspy, and has a tight asthmatic cough. My sister did put him on a good quality vitamin and probiotics and she gives him extra Vit D. That seems to be helping a lot because we were sure he'd be a mess with going to public school. He has bad allergies so she has to be careful with his food, but she gets in veggies and fruits where she can. I read concord grape juice is a great immunity booster as well and she just started incorporating that so we don't really know if it's helping yet.
I'd google immune boosting foods and see what you can come up with. I think in our case it was the probiotics and vitamins that helped a ton, he was on antibiotics his first year for a kidney issue and that had a big role in destroying his immune system, thankfully it seems to be bouncing back.

Oh, she also never gets him the flu shot and we all had H1N1 back in 2009, he did have a fever on and off for 8 days but as far as his respiratory stuff he didn't have any issues. I think staying on top of the nebulizer helped in his case then, but he hasn't had to use them in about 11 months now.

I hope you can find something that helps! It's hard to see them sick so much.

January 22nd, 2011, 06:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
His food issues have actually gotten worse. He now has to avoid eggs, milk, soy, tomatoes, carrots, red 40 and cinnamon. He also had an anaphylactic reaction, but we have no idea what caused it. I have serious issues with vitamins too. There is only one children's vitamin that we found that wasn't colored with red 40 or carrot juice. It was a nightmare and we had to special order it. I will have to find his Vitamin D drops from when he was on calcium supplements and see if it is D3. He won't eat apples...but he will eat apple sauce. I don't have a juicer though...sadly. I give him probiotics daily already too... I will have to look for Elderberry juice concentrate though. That seems like it will be a HUGE help. Thank everyone!

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search