Need some Validation.... Going against the grain

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 20th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Lala78's Avatar Super Mommy
My 11.5-week-old daughter got her first Hib today. And I got another lecture for splitting up the vaccinations. At her 2 month with our pedi, we just got the DTap. They wanted to do the DTap/Polio/HepB combo (Pediatrix I think), then the Hib, and the PCV; 3 shots all at one time. I came up with a schedule that will allow her to get most of these, but a few weeks apart from each other, so she never gets them all at once. Plus we are not doing Hep B at all.

So the pedi said the reason they won't give the individual vaccines is because they don't have enough open appointments. Well, I can understand that. They told us we'd have to go to the County Health Department to do the individual shots. The public health nurse told me the reason why they don't support the individual vaccinations is because it puts the baby at risk. So she's at a greater risk for PCV during the next two weeks than she was a couple weeks ago? Am I really putting her at risk by waiting, or would I be putting her at risk by combining the shots? I left there feeling like a bad mom. Then I went to get a flu shot and made DH go too.

I would really like to hear your thoughts about why it would be beneficial to spread things out. My baby is so little and I'm already feeling like I'm messing things up because of the lectures I've been receiving. It's difficult when people in power positions make you feel like you're making huge mistakes.

[url=http://lilypie.com]
January 20th, 2011, 11:58 PM
~Annissa~'s Avatar I love my kids!
Welcome to CNTV! All you can do is what YOU feel is best! I will say that her being that young, I'd be hesitant to do any, but definitely not combination vaccines. If you're willing to do more appts, I don't see why the Dr. cares, or even the nurse at the HD??
By spreading them out you will be able to watch for reactions better and really it doesn't matter what they say or think she is your baby and you get to make these decisions as her mother. They don't have to like it, but they have to respect it. Don't let them get to you! HUGS!

January 21st, 2011, 05:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I ditto Annissa. You have to be comfy with whatever schedule you decide upon...going against the grain is never easy or accepted by those who strongly oppose. If you are sure this is what you want to do, then just tell them "thanks for your opinion...I'm the monther...this is the way it will be done"...Personally, I'd find another doctor that has more time for my child...but that is me.

Also...your child is at risk for so many things no matter what you do....if you get all those vaccines together...she's at risk...if you dont get anything she's at risk...if you get one shot...she's at risk...that is kind of a silly comment. Every day we leave our house we "risk" an accident...kwim....so keeping that in mind do what YOU think is right and dont let them bully you into thinking you are a bad mom or that you are doing things all wrong. HUGS and WELCOME to CNTV...

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
January 21st, 2011, 09:01 AM
Lala78's Avatar Super Mommy
Thank you. I needed these words of encouragement. I just second guess myself when I get the lectures. I almost folded and just had them give her the remaining shots yesterday. I'm glad I stayed the course though. She's getting most of the same shots during the appropriate month, just spread out so she's not getting multiple vaccines at a time. Why can't people understand that? The pedi and the health department said they had not had anyone do this. I think they think I'm trying to be a trouble maker. I'm not trying to cause grief or inconvenience people, I'm just trying to limit the amount of crap that's in her body at any given time!

I was ten when my mom started getting me vaxed and I remember the pain and irritability I felt. I've also had multiple vaccines at once as an adult and it made me hurt and feel like crap. Why would I want to do that to her? DH said we should just get it over with so I'm not getting her shots all the time (it's really not all the time), thereby reducing her pain. I figure that she doesn't remember this time, so spreading it out won't traumatize her. DH is supportive, but doesn't really care either way.

I'm just worried now. Should I be keeping her home and not go volunteer at SS's elementary like I've been doing for 2 hours once a week? Will that subject her to exposure to meningitis in the next two weeks? I just don't know. Maybe we should just stay home for awhile.

[url=http://lilypie.com]
January 21st, 2011, 10:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't be a recluse. I am not and our youngest is 100% unvaxed. You can't keep them sheltered forever...Are you breastfeeding? If you are...this will provide her with extra protection...if not you might see about making sure she's getting plenty of vitamin D...this will help her fight off stuff...

Small amounts of exposure here and there will help her build a stronger immunity.

Have you read Dr.Sear's book? (The Vaccine Book) it has an alternate schedule that isn't quite as often as you plan to go but still has the vaxes in there...you might check out that option too...I think he spreads them out farther...like once a month or something...I can't remember exactly...

HUGS and I'm glad that you are feeling better about it....It's hard to be a momma!

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search