If I wasn't sure before (OT)...

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 31st, 2011, 10:26 PM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am now. I will not be having another baby in a hospital. We went to visit our friends tonight who just had their first baby. The day she told me she was pregnant, I knew she'd have a c-section. She said she didn't want an epidural, but I just knew. So indeed she had one. The dr told her the baby had a big head and there was no way she could deliver him. His head was 14.5 inches, but, it was long, like from forehead to the back, as opposed to a round head. It looked like the perfect shape to come through a birth canal! So, when they did the c/s he was tucked under her pelvic bone so they still used the suction thing to get him out, and he has this huge purple spot on his poor little head.

When we went to see them, the mom was trying to BF, but the dad kept saying, "if he won't eat this time, I'm just giving him a bottle." Like, constantly, kept saying it to her the whole time she was trying to nurse him. We're pretty close friends, so I told him he needs to back off. That she'll never be successful if he keeps pushing her to give him a bottle, and making her feel guilty. I told him Maddie barely ate for the first 3 days, and was just fine. On top of this, the nurse came in and starts taking out her IV while she's trying to nurse. She doesn't offer any help, which my friend obviously needs, she just starts scanning her bracelet, which makes annoying beeping noises, and tugs at her IV's. I was so frustrated! How is the poor little guy supposed to concentrate on nursing while all this is going on? It was just such a hostile environment.

Then as we're leaving, the dad asks the mom if she wants to send the baby back to the nursery. He'd only been in the room an hour! She says "oh, I don't care, whatever". He says "well, I thought you could sleep" and she says "I'm not going to sleep, but we can send him back, or just put him in the bassinet, we don't have to hold him."

SERIOUSLY??? UGH.

DH and I left and once we were in the parking lot, I told him no way we were doing a hospital birth and he agreed. It was pretty funny listening to him go on about her BFing too! He's like "yeah, we should have left the room, and that nurse shouldn't have bugged her"

And on a happier note, DH LOVED holding the new baby. He even joked about taking him home with us. He is SOOO ready for another. But, we are still waiting. I want a spring baby.

April 1st, 2011, 05:09 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I will most likely be having a HBAC if we have another baby.

April 1st, 2011, 08:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh I know right....I have visited babies in the hospital since Olive was born and I'm just like AAAAAHHHH...I want to run! LOL....

I think knowing how different birth could be..since I've HAD that kind of birth with Olive (wasn't homebirth but birthing center so LIKE a homebirth)....and then seeing what the hospitals make it in to....oh...it just saddens me....I'm getting soooo excited to have our homebirth....EDD is only 7 weeks 2 days away....EEK!!!

Everything is just so rush rush rush....A friend of mine recently had her first hospital birth (the other 4 were homebirths) and she had to keep voicing the SAME opinion over and over to get them to listen. Like seriously...it wasn't like "no I dont want that" once it was I STILL dont want that. The hospital she went to is the one I would go to if I had to transfer....she had to tell them like 5 or more times to wait on cutting the cord...they kept saying 'can we cut it yet?"...over and over...I mean...the benefits of delayed clamping and cutting of the cord are WELL known....she said "it's still pulsating....we are waiting until it's no longer got a pulse to cut it"....argh....so impatient to get her DONE...

The one thing I remember being most annoying about my last hospital birth was the stupid poking and prodding at most inconvenient times. It was the middle of the night I was trying to nurse Gretchen....which was still complicated at this point...it was dark and I was sleepy...this guy comes in to get a blood sample for whatever reason....seriously felt like he was trying to jab me with a dull needle...it wasn't but he jabbed it in instead of gliding it in....I had a HUGE friggin bruise from it HUGE....ugh...anyway...that and leaving the IV in and the forbidden liquids/eating during labor and being stuck to the bed....and taking the baby to do their observing...ahh....just so different from what I experience with Olive....

With Olive they did all her little checks and such right there on the foot of my bed where I was resting....She never left my sight and was only not in my arms or a family members arms for a total of 5 minutes....I was home 6 hours after the birth adn we slept all night uninterrupted!!!! No waking the baby to nurse every two hours....I just let the baby sleep as long as she needed it...that next morning she woke up and nursed like a champ...we both got a great nights sleep which was much needed...in our own beds!!!!

Ok...that is a journal....but I totally agree with you...I've BTDT with the hospital....and I dont want to go back!!!!

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
April 1st, 2011, 02:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Having had both a hospital and homebirth, I totally agree with you. It was such an amazing, healing experience for me that I would never have a baby any other way (unless it was medically necessary of course)

I heart homebirths

April 3rd, 2011, 08:15 PM
I too am hoping for a healing homebirth! My hospital birth was so traumatizing to both DH and I and I can only hope for better.

Something else that was said...the dad lays the baby down in the bassinet, you know, because no one wants to hold him, and he starts to cry. The dad says "oh, quiet now, you're so spoiled" AHHH....I told him, you CAN'T spoil a newborn!!!!

Some parents definitely need classes or something to inform them of how to care for a child.

April 3rd, 2011, 09:29 PM
pink_piggy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah! Reading this just makes me feel that much better over my choice to birth at home. Thank you ladies for sharing this. It made me sad reading the hospital birth experiences, just not right.
April 3rd, 2011, 10:28 PM
^^You'll have to let us know how your homebirth goes! You're getting very close!

April 4th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I pray for you to have taht healing experience Katie! I'm sooo excited our HB is just around the corner!!! EEEEK

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
April 7th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Avery'smommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaite View Post
I too am hoping for a healing homebirth! My hospital birth was so traumatizing to both DH and I and I can only hope for better.

Something else that was said...the dad lays the baby down in the bassinet, you know, because no one wants to hold him, and he starts to cry. The dad says "oh, quiet now, you're so spoiled" AHHH....I told him, you CAN'T spoil a newborn!!!!

Some parents definitely need classes or something to inform them of how to care for a child.
:thumb sdown:
April 7th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Oh...I know! I'm hesitant to even go visit them again.

April 8th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
I really hope that if I am ever blessed with a husband again that we will be able to do a home birth if we have children. I want a lot of children. The size of my family will be determined by God though. If he decides that I am to have only one child then I will have only one. If I am blessed enough to have more I will welcome them into the world as close as possible to the way God intended it to be done.

I had to jump back in and say this. I have been watching home birth videos on youtube and such and have fallen in love with the peace and serenity of the births. I will definitely be having either myself or my future husband catch the baby.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

April 9th, 2011, 01:20 AM
missy11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
wow, thats crappy. my situation was pretty positive. i got a lot of support from the staff. especially with nursing thank goodness cuz it was such a challenge and new to me! and i never wanted kai to leave my room especialy if i wasnt going to sleep =(
I would be petrified to not have a hospital delivery honestly cuz of my experience. kai definitely had a big head and he didnt just pop right out and i tore from front to back. his head was 15cm and he was 9lb 7oz. i cant imagine birthing another baby this size or possibly bigger w out a hospital setting. id be scared. but thats just me! other than that a home birth would be great! always thought id like that till now!

[IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
April 9th, 2011, 01:15 PM
If I'd had medical reasons or a good hospital birthing experience, I wouldn't even hesitate going back to one. Medically speaking Maddie's birth was easy and uncomplicated, the staff just overexaggerated things to me, and were flat out rude and condescending through most of my stay. I still cry and am angry thinking about how horrible it was. I WISH I'd had great nurses, and it great to hear that some people do!

April 9th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
im so jealous you girls get homebirths. i am SO SCARED to deliver this baby at a hospital but we dont have any midwives around that will travel this far (
Hopefully we dont make it to the hospital at time.....
April 9th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Aww....HUGS israelsofiaplusone.... I know how you feel....I was feeling the same way when dh threatened a "NO" to homebirth...I thought I'd rather give birth in the car LOL...and wasn't joking...then I finally convinced him...HUGS!!!!

HUGS Missy....My kids have big ole noggin's as well...my last one had a 14" noggin...HUGS.....fortunately I didn't have the same issues as you....HUGs

April 11th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is so sad. Spoiling a newborn is so ignorant. I am sorry your friend had a rough time at the hospital.

I have had 3 c/s in hospitals. I can honestly say that most of teh staff was wonderful. I need to have c/s because of my isoimmunization that caused my son to be stillborn. I really really wanted a VBAC, but when DS died, I decided on a c/s for my emotional health (and now my babies need to come out around 37w). Hospitals still scare the crap out of me, but I have to be there to have an live baby. If I was able to, I would definately do a homebirth. I am very jealous of the fact I will never have a vaginal birth, let alone a home birth. It realllllllly bothers me.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

April 11th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Avery'smommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
if they allowed epiduralas at home I'd birth all my babies at home. I'm totally anti hospitals, vaccinations, medications, etc but oh man, I'll take that epidural everytime
April 11th, 2011, 10:30 PM
I'm not going to lie, when I got my epidural after 28 hours of painful labor, it was magical. Now the spinal headache for a week after, tail bone pain and almost continuous tingling in my back that I've experienced over a year later...not magical AT ALL. One of my stipulations on deciding on a homebirth was if I could make it without the epi the first time. Obviously I didn't, but I'm hoping I'll be alright, I think with the proper support of midwives, I can do it.

April 12th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You'll be amazed how much different labor is when you aren't in a bed laboring. I was not in bed AT ALL except when I laid down to rest the entire tiem I was in labor. I was able to move and be comfortable....I was in the shower and the water and etc....I've never had an Epi because I knew of the possible side effects that can be life long afterwards (or at least years long)....so I refused to consider it. Honestly though...I've had four labors....none have had epi..one was out of hospital...and the one out of hospital was extremely long compared to the others that were induced. Fortunately for me the induction didn't cause any problems...just made labor fast and intense. I'll take my 18 hour labor with Olive over the 1.5 hour labor with gretchen ten times over if that tells you anything. I look back at Olive's birth and think fondly of it. Pain isn't the first thing that comes to mind at all! It was totally manageable!

LeAnn. I'm terribly sorry for your past loss. Great big hugs....I'm so glad you are able to have the necessary csections so that you get healthy newborns in exchange...HUGS

April 23rd, 2011, 07:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
*lurker* I am a selective delayed vaxer so I tend to not post her eor in CTV since I am kinda in the middle, but had to reply to this

my first baby was born in a hospital. It went as normal as a hosptial birth goes. I was induced (43 weeks though) had an epidural (my choosing, didn't know better) no iv or oral drugs though. The epi worked like they are "suppose" to. she was normal healthy yadda yadda.
The nurse was a B*TCH though adn told me when my daughter was an hour old that if she didn't have a bm in the next hour she was giving formula. OVER MY DEAD BODY! and she pooped in me, so I think it worked anyways! lol
well she did have a bm so no harm came. BUT they would take her to the nursery for her check ups and be gone 2-4 hours each time!! I hated it! I just wanted my baby! They said she didn't get a paci or bottle but seriously 4 hours gone?? They had to. Thank God it didn't effect our breastfeeding and she nursed till 22 months.
anyways, after she was born I hated teh hosptial. I hated being stuck there being treated like I was sick andI wasn't! so my next baby I had a midwife and a birthing center. It was great, she was born in the tub and no iddues we left 3 hours later and went home!

Now that I have had both I see all the crazy from hospitals that I can't stand and I just think.. why don't these woman say something!!!??? But then I remember I didn't say anything, I thought that was the way it was. All I can say now is try your best to educate your friends but just telling them the positives of natural labor and more woman will start doing it

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search