Does this happen to anyone else?

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 3rd, 2011, 07:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
We use a lot of alternative type things. We use raw milk, a naturopath that is technically an acupuncturist because naturopathy is illegal in TN, and a lot of trying to find alternatives to things. I am really getting sick of the "but don't tell anyone" type comments. My milk supplier (on cow shares since sale of raw milk is illegal) asked me today not to tell any of Danny's doctors that he is drinking raw milk or that we got it from them because the first thing doctors do is call the health department and come out to their farm. I get that but I also hate the whole, you probably don't want to tell Danny's ped I suggested this (from the naturopath.) I am so sick of having to just becuase everyone is so scared and trying to cover their butts. It makes me just want to give up the whole thing in the attitude of "well if it is so secretive than it must not be very good or at least very honest." I don't have a choice but to have Danny seen by a GI, a ped, an allergy/asthma doctor, and now a hematologist/oncologist(to watch his SDS and bone marrow/blood count status) and the more I don't mention to them the more I feel like I am neglecting my son. I can't leave those doctors because with the state Danny's health is in now even I would consider THAT neglect. It seems like my only option...if this continues...is to leave the naturopath...which doesn't be seeming to do a lot of help anyway to be completely honest...and just go back to the way we were before. I will still eat organic because that is something I have always wanted to do so now that we are there for the most part there is no point in turning back. Organic is better.

So back to the initial question... Have any of you had "alternative-sources" that were quite hush-hush for a selfish reason without concern about how it could affect you or your child?

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

April 3rd, 2011, 10:45 PM
Jlynn's Avatar Jamielynn
I have at the end of the day do what is best for your chid. Only if it comes down to it.
IUI #1 = BFP but ended in the loss of our boy Carter
12 failed IUIs followed
After TTC baby #2 for 3 years....
We are happily ADOPTING our rainbow baby.
Read my story here it is part of a campaign I was asked to Join...
April 4th, 2011, 03:13 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
as an acupuncturist, I see a lot of my patients neglect to tell their dr that they are seeing me. Overall, for something like acupuncture, I do not think it is bad to be hush hush about it, BUT for things like herbal medicine and naturopathy, there can be a lot of side effects combining that with allopathic treatments, and that is when it should be disclosed to your dr(s). I have not gotten a good vibe with your ND and hopefully in the future you can find a better holistic care provider. At a certain point, there is a time and place for allopathic medicine, and I think this is it.

April 4th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think you have to do what you feel is right. If you think the raw milk is helping him....then great there is no reason to discontinue it. In my state the things that you are doing aren't illegal. They might be "looked down upon" by some people but they aren't illegal...so I dont have to be hush hush. We use a doctor that also uses Raw milk...and so on...so I have no reason to hide info from her. We'd LOVE to use a ND but can't afford to for the whole family...they aren't illegal but they are expensive and not covered by health insurance. SOOOO....

You have to do what makes YOU comfortable. If you know something is helping him...like raw milk...then YES...I'd keep hiding my sources because they are doing a service by offering something to me even when they aren't supposed to (because it IS healthier than processed milk)....I wouldn't want them to get into trouble...but anyway....it comes down to how you feel...if the whole secret life thing is getting to you...then make the changes that keep you sane! HUGS

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
April 4th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think we may wind up dropping the ND but keeping the milk. He hasn't said his tummy hurts since we cut out store milk. The raw milk has the enzymes to help digest the protein which Danny doesn't have so that is helping. Raw milk isn't illegal as long as you buy a share in the cow and not actually buy the milk. Basically they have the cows and we pay them to take care of them. In turn we get milk but it isn't bought. It is odd. The only problem is as soon as someone gets sick who is drinking raw milk the farm they get it from is quarenteined (sp) and such. It is really stupid. I understand that one and it is fine for me. I really think we will discontinue the ND though. It is expensive and I can't afford to go but I am paying for Danny to go. If it isn't helping and may even be hurting I don't see a reason to keep paying for him to treat my son.

April 4th, 2011, 10:32 AM
pink_piggy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like you have a plan. I wouldn't feel right being hush hush when it comes to my child's well being.
April 4th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think that sounds like a great plan...you can always change plans later...doesn't mean the decision is perminant...there may be a point in the future you can find a different ND and go from there.

Glad the raw milk isn't illegal...how hokey pokey of a way to get it though LOL...I guess whatever makes it ok for you to do...but seriously they might as well make it easier people are going to do it either way...

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
April 4th, 2011, 03:51 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
we do not do any milk, but I think in our state you can buy raw milk to feed to your "pets" not for human consumption. That is the way to get around it, LOL!

April 4th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You can do that here but it works out costing more. We can get milk, butter, yogurt, and soon we will be able to get cheese all from the shares. We get either 2 half gallons of milk per week, 2 half cups of butter, 2 pints of yogurt, or whatever the cheese measurment is per week. You can also combine them. I usually get a half gallon of milk and 1/2 cup butter. Soon I will be getting another share to add yogurt and cheese.

April 5th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
wow...what a pain....I buy three gallons of milk a week...

April 5th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We only use about a half gallon so it works for us.

April 6th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
that's great. With four kids and two adults using it....three gallons SOMETIMES doesn't get us thru the week LOL

April 6th, 2011, 11:51 AM
stephi1997's Avatar Veteran
Here's something you might find interesting - I had a conversation with our ND a month or so ago about educating my husband on what an ND does (he hasn't been able to make any appts yet but wants to learn more). She brought up a topic that has been in the back of my mind a while now. There are currently only 16 (I think) states that actually license for ND. In other states there are so many "ND's" that may or may not have actually gotten the full, rigorous education and training that an ND in a licensing state has to obtain. She said there are people in non-licensing state that are posing as naturopathics that are making millions and are fighting the state governments to keep them from becoming licensing states. She said its a huge issue across the country. She told us to check out the national association of naturopaths. It outlines the education that is required for licensing, as well as information about finding a licensed ND. www.naturopathic.org

I think the fact that it's flat out illegal in some states is a travesty. If all states adopted the licensing laws naturopathic medicine would probably become so much more accepted and maybe more MD's would become more educated about it.

I'm fortunate enough to live in a state that has full licensing for ND's and not really any of the "hush hush" attitude. It's not wildly popular, but it's not frowned on really either. Except by ignorant MD's like the one we just switched from. Some insurance covers them, but a lot of ND's don't participate b/c the ins companies make it so difficult. Raw milk isn't easy to find, but there aren't any laws against buying it for whatever you see fit to use it for.

My point (I think I had one...sleep deprivation!!) is that I think it is beyond tragic that our country has forgotten that before pharmaceutical companies bought our government and allopathic medicine became the end all-be all of medicine, naturopathic medicine was either all the care offered or worked in as part of allopathic. I agree that allopathic medicine can be wonderful and life saving, but I also think natural medicine does too.

I also get a bad vibe from what you've said since seeing this ND. I am so sorry that you've been through all this for almost no results. It's great the milk is helping though! Maybe down the road you will find the right person who can help you and Danny.
April 6th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
He graduated with his ND licensure....don't remember the name...from a college in NM. Since he can't practice ND in TN he also is a licensed acupuncturist to sneak in under the radar. I stopped the supplements and such today and we will not be going back. I have just been very unhappy and his GI is also not helping anything right now even though he didn't know we were going to the ND. Danny's ped has really stepped up and has put him on an appetite stimulant to try to get him to eat more. I am really hoping that this helps but he hasn't really been on it long enough to notice a difference. His GI told me today that as long as he is on the charts he won't do the G tube. I point blank asked if he had so little energy that he was doing nothing but laying around all day if he would do a G-tube then and he said no! I was speechless!!! As soon as the ped gets the referral put through to Cinci we will most likely be dropping this GI and just using the ones in Cinci. This is just absolutely ridiculous....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search