Vaccine "Misconceptions"

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2011, 01:20 PM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A friend of mine entered his son in a contest that is sponsored by the Immunization Coalition. Of course I had to see what their "Common Misconceptions" about vaccines were. I love the "saves parents time and money" reason for giving multiple vaccinations at once. UGH. It just makes me sick that parents are getting this kind of information, and that they just accept it as the truth without doing any of their own research. Here they are if anyone feels like reading

"Misconception #1: Diseases are rare now. Vaccines are not really necessary.

Certain diseases are rare in the United States because of vaccines, but are much more common in other parts of the world. Because of travel and immigration, many diseases once controlled in the United States are re-emerging. If we stopped using vaccines, diseases would spread very quickly -- and many children would become very ill.

Individuals should be vaccinated for two reasons. The first is to protect themselves. Even if we think our chances of getting any of these vaccine preventable diseases are small, the diseases still exist and can still infect anyone who is not protected.

The second reason to get vaccinated is to protect those around us. There is a small number of people who cannot be vaccinated (because of severe allergies to vaccine components), and a small percentage of people don't respond to vaccines. These people are susceptible to disease, and their only hope of protection is that people around them are immune and cannot pass disease on to them. A successful vaccination program depends on the cooperation of every individual to ensure the good of all.

Misconception #2: My child cannot receive vaccinations if she has a cold, fever, or is taking antibiotics.

Children can still be vaccinated if he/she has a mild illness, a low-grade fever, or is taking antibiotics

Misconception #3: The majority of people who get diseases have been vaccinated.

Most routine childhood vaccines are effective for 85% to 95% of recipients. In order to make vaccines safer than the disease, the bacteria or virus is killed or weakened. Some vaccinated individuals do not develop immunity, because of reasons specific to the individual(e.g. those individuals with a genetic pre-disposition that precludes their ability to develop an immune response).

Misconception #4: A lot of children get hurt by vaccines. Vaccines cause Sudden Infant Death Syndrome and Autism.

Severe side effects from vaccines are very rare(less than 1%). It is a much greater health risk not to get vaccinated. Some children may have mild side effects, such as crankiness, soreness or a slight fever that usually only last a few hours. However, getting the disease can be far more dangerous and painful.

There is no known cause of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome(SIDS).

There is no known connection between vaccine and autism.

Misconception #5: It's dangerous to give so many vaccines at the same time.

Studies show that giving several vaccines at one visit is safe and effective.

A number of studies have been conducted to examine the effects of giving various combinations of vaccines simultaneously. These studies have shown that the recommended vaccines are as effective in combination as they are individually, and that these combinations carry no greater risk for adverse side effects.

There are two reasons for giving a child several vaccinations during the same visit. First, children should be immunized as early as possible to give them protection during the vulnerable early months of their lives. This generally means giving inactivated vaccines beginning at 2 months and live vaccines at 12 months. That means various vaccine doses tend to be due at the same time. Second, giving several vaccinations at the same time will mean fewer office visits for vaccinations, which saves parents time and money, and results in less stress for the child."

April 22nd, 2011, 04:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
OY...no comment! LOL

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
April 22nd, 2011, 06:58 PM
Oh I know!

April 25th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I actually LOL reading that.

As an aside, does it not seem strange that SIDS is... well ... sids? What the hell is sudden infant death? Why is there no such thing as sudden adult death? LOL

April 25th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Totally agree Amanda. I definitely have my own conspiracy theory that vaccines are the cause of SIDS, but no one will admit it. I mean, come on, if they did, who would vaccinate? Who is going to vaccinate if a possible reaction is death? I sure hope I'm wrong, because that is a horrible thought.

April 26th, 2011, 11:17 AM
pink_piggy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow.. so giving your child multiple jabs of toxin in one visit is less stressful to them?! The thought of getting one shot is very very stressful to ME, I couldn't imagine watching my precious little baby get multiples in one visit.

I was reading how Japan pushed back the age where infants got vaxes and SIDS dropped dramatically...hmmmmm?!?!

I also like how they don't mention how many diseases were on the decline BEFORE the introduction to the vax for it, so many flaws w/ that article *shakes head*
April 26th, 2011, 07:06 PM
~Annissa~'s Avatar I love my kids!
Articles like this really make me upset. I wish they'd link all these "studies" they are referring to. I mean citing sources is one of the first things you learn in writing. Ugh.

I also don't believe in SIDS. Sorry, yes it awful, terrible and I'd never ever want to experience the loss of a baby or child. That said, people whether they are infants or adolescents don't just suddenly die for NO apparent reason. There's ALWAYS a reason!

April 27th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Agree with all the above....I know a person personally who has had a SIDS baby....and I dont have it in my heart to ask how recent the vaccinations were before the incident (it's been something like 12 or so years ago now)....but it does make me wonder

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
April 27th, 2011, 03:38 PM
~Annissa~'s Avatar I love my kids!
I know two people who's babies died from "SIDS" only it was actually accidental suffocation in both cases. One was 4 months though and the mom "thought she rolled on him" in bed, but she woke up and he was blue and she wasn't on him, so it's hard to say. The other was a girl who put her 6 week old in a swing with a boppy in front of her. She fell asleep and the baby had tipped forward into the pillow.

April 28th, 2011, 07:26 PM
A girl I went to school with also lost her baby to SIDS about a year ago. I know she was just a little over 4 months, so I feel it is likely she just had her vaccines. The dad posted recently about the day it happened, which was about the saddest thing I ever read, but the baby was swaddled and on her back, so suffocation was definitely not the cause.

May 6th, 2011, 07:23 PM
lovely_serendipity's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
***shivers***
The thought that some deaths may have been prevented by not vaxing and the poor parents thought they were doing what was best for their child bc of articles like this!!!!!

I have a family history of bad reactions to vaccines...so there is no way im metro.g my daughter get them...she is already showing that she has some of the same food allergies that are in my family..so I have no doubt she would have a be reaction to vax.

I do have a traditional medicine doctor but she also believes its a parents choice and all babies...vaccinated or NOT....deserve medical care. She has to "educate" me at every appointment and makes me sign a waver that says basically that if my child gets sick and dies I can't sue her...and I understand she has to protect herself. Every time she gives me the rundown she always reminds me that a very small percent of people have bad reaction...then I remind her that im in that small percent and so are other members of my family...and that they also told me only small percents of people had labor a csec issues that I had BUT GUESS WHAT??? It happened to me...so I havve bad luck and am not about to test that luck with vaccines.

She understands my reasoning but says its her job to inform me and I respect that.
May 7th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Glad you have a doctor who respects you. Your daughter is gorgeous! My September baby (who is going on three now ) has a sept 20th bday....I look at your siggy and think awww.....this is what size Olive was two years ago ....time flies....seriously....

Anyway....it's awful to think about this....I'm so thankful my vaccinated babies didn't have life damaging issues....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search