Would you expose your child to chicken pox?

Forum: Choosing Not to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing Not to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2011, 04:09 PM
MommaNator's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have an opportunity to expose DD to chicken pox. She's almost 4. I don't want her to receive the vaccine but I'm not sure I want to deliberately expose her to CP and make her ill. On the one hand, she would have immunity for life and possibly be less likely to get shingles later. Also, I would never have to cave and get her the varicella vax so she could enter public school later or college. (Right now the school is OK with no vaxes, but things change.) On the other hand, I'd be purposely making her ill and have no way to know in advance how sick she would be. Plus, DH isn't sure he has had chicken pox and I hear it is worse for adults.

Would you do it? Why or why not?

Thanks Julie_aka_Mommy!

April 26th, 2011, 06:50 PM
~Annissa~'s Avatar I love my kids!
Totally! In fact a lady in my PR has two kids with CP right now and I considered asking her to do the t-shirt thing. Only thing is timing, we go to Georgia for my nieces first bday in a week and I know not everyone feels the way I do about CP.
That all said, if it were right timing and I had them locally available I would in a instant! My mom took us to her friends to get us CP and made us share a lollipop lol. No biggie! =0)

April 26th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes, especially at age 4. It's much easier on the body when they are still young.

I'm not sure about what you wrote about Shingles though. It's my understanding that people who get Chickenpox are more likely to get it later in life.
April 26th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It's my goal this year to get my 3 and 1.5 year old LO's exposed. I have no problem with intentionally exposing them this year, they are healthy kids with healthy immune systems. I'm confident in a speedy recovery.

April 27th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
I agree... I got CP around 7 years old and I got really sick but my five year old sister had no problems at all. She was still running around playing and would scratch every once and a while. Other than the itching she wasn't sick at all. I would 100% expose Danny if he didnt' have a comprimised immune system. You can get shingles later in life but the risk isn't really that much different if you have it or not because people who get the vax shed it anyway. If you are around someone who has had the vax they can give you shingles the same as the virus could reactivate when you are older. But hey! You could always get the shingles vax for when you are old. (TOTALLY kidding. )

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

April 27th, 2011, 11:35 AM
It may sound silly, but are any of you worried about your child getting scars from it? Or chicken pox in the eyes? I worry that if I go the shared lollipop route (most likely since the pox isn't that close to my house), DD might get CP in her mouth which would be painful. Do you think that's likely? I also worry about exposing kids in her preschool during the prodromal period. If DD catches the CP, she wouldn't have blisters for 10 to 21 days but could be contagious 5 days before blisters appear. I don't want to take her out of school for 3 weeks just "in case" she might get the CP. Her school doesn't require kids to be vaxed even though most probably are; I just don't feel right about knowingly possibly exposing other children.

I wonder why I'm having such an ethical dilemma with this. If DD caught CP just out and about, I wouldn't worry about the school or feel as guilty as I would if I purposely tried to expose her to it.

Thanks Julie_aka_Mommy!

April 27th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My older two had CP....I want them re-exposed so I know they had it enough (they had such a mild case I worry it wasn't enough if that makes sense)...my younger two have NOT had it...I do want them to have it and YES would purposely expose them...however once baby is born...I'll probably wait until he's at least 6m+ before I am on the search for them....

I have scars on my side from them....my older two were young enough they didn't really bother them....the older they are the harder it is to resist the urge to itch....Also...if we do go to public school ever....we will choose exempt BUT if they've had CP the vax isn't required...so they'd be able to have on record that they've had it...so that in the case of an outbreak they aren't forced to stay home...either way it doesn't matter on the vax end but I DO want them to have it.

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
April 27th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Well, I had it twice, once at 15 months and once at 7. Both times were mild cases and I didn't get them in my mouth, eyes, or throat. I wasn't bf'd either. I have confidence that breastfeeding Lili for 28 months had its benefits on her immune system. I also don't have any scars, they are only likely if they scratch them off/pick at them. I wouldn't worry about the school, like you said if she picked them up any other time you'd never know/alert them and I am guessing most of the kids are vax'ed. Ultimately, you have to go with your gut on this though. Good luck deciding. =0)

April 28th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will, but I am trying to figure out the right age to do so. The ladies in my local AP group have had the best luck with the traded jammies..

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
April 28th, 2011, 07:21 PM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I only hesitate on it based on what someone else had posted on here saying that CP has weakened and does not necessarily cause lifelong immunity...

April 29th, 2011, 12:59 PM
^ I would be interested to find out more about that.

Thanks Julie_aka_Mommy!

April 29th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Cori talked about it a while back. I'm sure I can find some posts about it. I'll look.

April 29th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I looked, all I could find was a post about shingles that kind of talks about it. I went back quite a while and couldn't find what I was looking for. I think it was about how the natural strain of CP is weakened and won't provide lifelong immunity, therefore, the child either needs to be exposed to it several times in childhood, or just get the vaccine. *I think*

May 19th, 2011, 02:02 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm on SEVERAL lists to get my child exposed to CP, Measles, mumps, rubella...... I have been around measles with him and no luck Now i'm pregnant so i missed the last go around of CP but I'm hoping once this baby is 1yrs old we can pick some up from somewhere!
May 19th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Thanks Kaite!

I ended up missing the chance. DH's uncle was very ill and I couldn't get him to think about CP at the time. I figured if I was going to bring CP in the house I should get DH on the same page But, I missed the CP. Boo.

Thanks Julie_aka_Mommy!

May 22nd, 2011, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaite View Post
I only hesitate on it based on what someone else had posted on here saying that CP has weakened and does not necessarily cause lifelong immunity...

Actually, what Cori said was that she didn't feel lifelong immunity would be kept because less and less people/children are getting CP with the vaccine being available. Exposure through adulthood is like a natural booster and so as adults our children would likely not be exposed therefore losing the opportunity at a natural booster and probably lifelong immunity. I however still feel comfortable getting natural CP and see what happens in adulthood rather than have to depend on the vaccine for the rest of their lives. The way I look at it is, if they didn't maintain full natural immunity at least they'd still have SOME which in my opinion would likely protect them in adulthood better than vaccine immunity and my girls would be able to pass on the natural antibodies to their babies. That's just my opinion though and what I'm comfortable with.

May 23rd, 2011, 06:46 AM
Thank you for clarifying. I just could not remember what she said, and also could not find the post about it!

May 28th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i would

i just hope its after i have this baby so they can all be exposed

i havent seen/heard anyone get chicken pox in years though
June 13th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would! Sorry you missed the chance.

June 21st, 2011, 03:15 PM
Jlynn's Avatar Jamielynn
Yes I would for sure!! 4 is the perfect age.
People give their children shots that make them sick for a lifetime. I think exposing her to CP is way better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Annissa~ View Post
Actually, what Cori said was that she didn't feel lifelong immunity would be kept because less and less people/children are getting CP with the vaccine being available. Exposure through adulthood is like a natural booster and so as adults our children would likely not be exposed therefore losing the opportunity at a natural booster and probably lifelong immunity. I however still feel comfortable getting natural CP and see what happens in adulthood rather than have to depend on the vaccine for the rest of their lives. The way I look at it is, if they didn't maintain full natural immunity at least they'd still have SOME which in my opinion would likely protect them in adulthood better than vaccine immunity and my girls would be able to pass on the natural antibodies to their babies. That's just my opinion though and what I'm comfortable with.
As an adult wouldn't being around children who shed the vaccine help?
IUI #1 = BFP but ended in the loss of our boy Carter
12 failed IUIs followed
After TTC baby #2 for 3 years....
We are happily ADOPTING our rainbow baby.
Read my story here it is part of a campaign I was asked to Join...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search